HELP: New VCI-400 EGE. Crackling Sound

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: HELP: New VCI-400 EGE. Crackling SoundReply
HELP: New VCI-400 EGE. Crackling Sound
Posted on: 15.12.2012 by Bao Cheval
Having quite an issue here. Plugged in the controller, installed the drivers, and set up Traktor. Immediately after plugging in my monitor speakers into the Master Outputs, I get this distorted, crackling noise. So far, the EGE is functioning just fine. It's just the damn crackling and popping noise

I'm using Traktor Pro 2.6 with the latest VCI-400 driver 1.52.On the Vestax Driver Control Panel, i'm using Low Latency on the USB Streaming Mode and my Buffer Size is at 1024 samples.

On Traktor, sample rate is set at 44100Hz. My latency is at 48.4ms.

I've also got the VCI-400 soundcard selected.

Any help is appreciated!! I'm a moron when it comes to audio engineering, so I hope someone can lead me in the right direction.
Tobias Merrills
Originally Posted by B-Naut
Problem solved. I spoke directly with Vestax tech support. I was missing the Vestax Audio Control Panel, therefore, I hadn't done the firmware upgrade. The firmware upgrade was the key to my issue.

According to Vestax tech support,
This had nothing to do with my BIOS, USB, or my processor. (Although if you read the fine print on Vestax's Troubleshooting manual, Vestax VCI-400s do not support computers using an AMD processor. Not my case, but I thought that may be useful to some others here.)

Here are the steps I did:
  • Download and install the Vestax Control Panel here
  • Replace the original ASIO drivers with the updated version (UNINSTALL the original ASIO drivers first - DO NOT be lazy and overwrite the old ASIO with the new)
  • Use the Vestax Audio Control Panel to update the firmware.
  • Restart Windows. Restart the VCI-400. Restart Traktor.
  • Load the updated official .tsi file from the Vestax website into Traktor. (optional)

Like magic, my CPU load is now 1/3 of what it was before the updates and upgrades. My playback is smooth and no longer bogs down when I activate other functions like the effects.

Now if you will excuse me a moment, I have a DJ battle to prep for. Later, y'all.
I have been having a similar problem but i run a Mac with OSX Lion. I get crackling when playing my tracks but it does it at random times. Would those steps work with Lion? I also haven't upgraded my vestax since i have bought it just to put that out there.
Bao Cheval
Originally Posted by Funky B
Correct, green bars indicate no latency issue. It's either the driver or hardware - did you unistall the driver, reboot then re-install the driver? You can also troubleshoot hardware issues by installing and testing the vci-400 on another computer.
Yeah, I tried doing and it didn't work. I'll try it on another computer, and i'll let you know how that works out.
Bao Cheval
Also try switching USB ports.
No dice. Nothing worked =/ Perhaps it isn't a latency issue?
Bao Cheval
Computer specs?

And this happens after immediately plugging in the vci-400?? Is this before you load a deck - maybe it's a ground loop problem with your gear (but that would be more of a hum than a crackle).

Green bars means your system is setup correctly....

Don't disable ahci - it won't help you. And there's no need for alternate graphics card drivers is you don't show latency issues.

Try uninstalling the Vestax driver - reboot - re-install the driver. Also try disabling multi core support.
I've got a high-spec laptop, running an i7. My laptop should be overkill for this...

The crackling happens immediately once i turn on my unit.

USB Streaming Mode: Safe
ASIO Buffer Size: 2048 samples.

I'll try out your suggestions and i'll update this thread once i get done with it.
Kittie Aitchison
Originally Posted by jpegged
Yup! Green bars even through the crackling and noise.
Computer specs?

And this happens after immediately plugging in the vci-400?? Is this before you load a deck - maybe it's a ground loop problem with your gear (but that would be more of a hum than a crackle).

Don't disable ahci - it won't help you. And there's no need for alternate graphics card drivers is you don't show latency issues.

Try uninstalling the Vestax driver - reboot - re-install the driver. Also try disabling multi core support.
Kittie Aitchison
OK...Time for me to add my list of glitches to this post.

I also have a new VCI-400...not the Ean Golden Edition, just the regular version. My CPU load in Traktor is in the red. Playback bogs down, clicks, and crackles if I activate the '1' and/or '2' for the Effects on any channel. I even used the "Windows Optimizing Power Script" to lighten the CPU load. Even that didn't help.

What do I do?
What buffer usb streaming mode / buffer size settings?

A computer with core I3 and integrated graphics meets the minimum requirements but is not a high spec'd machine. I'm not sure how much it would help but try disabling multi core support in audio preferences. Increasing the buffer size should also help.
Tobias Merrills
Problem solved. I spoke directly with Vestax tech support. I was missing the Vestax Audio Control Panel, therefore, I hadn't done the firmware upgrade. The firmware upgrade was the key to my issue.

This had nothing to do with my BIOS, USB, or my processor. (Although if you read the fine print on Vestax's Troubleshooting manual, Vestax VCI-400s do not support computers using an AMD processor. Not my case, but I thought that may be useful to some others here.)

• Replace the original ASIO drivers with the updated version (UNINSTALL the original ASIO drivers first - DO NOT be lazy and overwrite the old ASIO with the new)
  • Load the updated official .tsi file from the Vestax website into Traktor. (optional)

Like magic, my CPU load is now 1/3 of what it was before the updates and upgrades. My playback is smooth and no longer bogs down when I activate other functions like the effects.

Now if you will excuse me a moment, I have a DJ battle to prep for. Later, y'all.
I have been having a similar problem but i run a Mac with OSX Lion. I get crackling when playing my tracks but it does it at random times. Would those steps work with Lion? I also haven't upgraded my vestax since i have bought it just to put that out there.
Bao Cheval
Correct, green bars indicate no latency issue. It's either the driver or hardware - did you unistall the driver, reboot then re-install the driver? You can also troubleshoot hardware issues by installing and testing the vci-400 on another computer.
Yeah, I tried doing and it didn't work. I'll try it on another computer, and i'll let you know how that works out.
Kittie Aitchison
Bao Cheval
No dice. Nothing worked =/ Perhaps it isn't a latency issue?
Bao Cheval
Computer specs?

I've got a high-spec laptop, running an i7. My laptop should be overkill for this...

The crackling happens immediately once i turn on my unit.

USB Streaming Mode: Safe
ASIO Buffer Size: 2048 samples.

I'll try out your suggestions and i'll update this thread once i get done with it.
Kittie Aitchison
Awesome!
Robbyn Student

"The original firmware that comes with the VCI-400 is built for Traktor version 1.__. When the firmware is upgraded, it syncs better with Traktor 2 and will drop the CPU load very noticeably."

Kittie Aitchison
Kittie Aitchison
Computer specs?

Kittie Aitchison

I also have a new VCI-400...not the Ean Golden Edition, just the regular version. My CPU load in Traktor is in the red. Playback bogs down, clicks, and crackles if I activate the '1' and/or '2' for the Effects on any channel. I even used the "Windows Optimizing Power Script" to lighten the CPU load. Even that didn't help.

What do I do?
What buffer usb streaming mode / buffer size settings?

A computer with core I3 and integrated graphics meets the minimum requirements but is not a high spec'd machine. I'm not sure how much it would help but try disabling multi core support in audio preferences. Increasing the buffer size should also help.
Bao Cheval
Kittie Aitchison
UPDATE: BIOS firmware update isn't available online.

Traktor 2.6, I've noticed after an hour or so mixing, begins skipping some tracks.

I'll try downloading some latency management programs and see how that goes...

UPDATE: My readings on dpc latency checker are fine...all below yellow,and I've got green bars all throughout mixing.
When the crackling starts does dpc latency checker stay out of the red?
Robbyn Student

What do I do?
Bao Cheval
UPDATE: BIOS firmware update isn't available online.

Traktor 2.6, I've noticed after an hour or so mixing, begins skipping some tracks.

I'll try downloading some latency management programs and see how that goes...

UPDATE: My readings on dpc latency checker are fine...all below yellow,and I've got green bars all throughout mixing.
Bao Cheval
Originally Posted by Rudi-J
On the NI website there is a Knowledgebase with some valuable Tips how to tweak the System (depending on OS of course)
http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/
In my case it turned out CPU Load issues as well as audio crackles were caused by a "problematic" graphics card driver.
In that context: Can you run everything smoothly with onboard sound (or an other audo card?) If this is the case it should have less to do with the VCI...
Updated the drivers, no go.

Everything else runs perfectly with onboard sound.
Kittie Aitchison
First, I claim no responsibility for what happens to your computer. If you want to follow these steps please make a backup. These steps are to be used when you know for sure it's the computer because you've tested your gear on another computer. These suggestions are for severe issues, try the OS tweaks Rudi-J listed above for CPU overload issues.

1. Switch USB ports
2. Make sure your bios firmware is up to date (check manufacture's page). If you have heavy distortion from the onset this will probably fix your issues.
3. Make sure your all of your drivers are up to date. As rudi-j posted above, start with the graphics card (audio dropouts are common with poor graphics card drivers). Make sure you update everything - a list of drivers should be on your computer manufacturer's support page.
4. Download dpc latency tester and start disabling drivers to find the culprit (instructions on website). If you disable something you weren't supposed to bad things may happen but a resart / re-enable will probable recover most issues. You won't be able to disable the graphics driver but you may find something else.
5. Pull the battery and try to use the computer without it. Power mgmt in windows sucks and can cause latency. The only work-a-round I'm aware of is to use the computer plugged in without the battery or only the battery- not both (or buy a Mac)
6. With all drivers up to date try alternative graphics card drivers for nvidia cards from laptopvideo2go.com (some of these drivers are not supported so the potential for bad things happening has now increased) at this point you should have found the issue.
7. Disable AHCI in bios. Chances are if you do this you will need to reinstall the os and everything else. You will also lose the ablilty to hot swap drives and ncq. Only do this as a last resort, but ahci is known to cause latency.
Chun Douthat
On the NI website there is a Knowledgebase with some valuable Tips how to tweak the System (depending on OS of course)
http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/
In my case it turned out CPU Load issues as well as audio crackles were caused by a "problematic" graphics card driver.
In that context: Can you run everything smoothly with onboard sound (or an other audo card?) If this is the case it should have less to do with the VCI...
Bao Cheval
It's the same on Safe mode.

I've tried different latency settings on the Vestax Control Panel, but no option clears up the sound.
Random X
Have you looked at latency settings?
Chun Douthat
same thing when using the "safe" usb mode in the vestax control panel?

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy