Just got MIDI Fighter... not sure what to do with it. Beginner alert.

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Just got MIDI Fighter... not sure what to do with it. Beginner alert.Reply
Just got MIDI Fighter... not sure what to do with it. Beginner alert.
Posted on: 05.02.2013 by Maxine Perusquia
Hey guys,

I just purchased a MF Spectra which arrived yesterday and I just had the chance to check it out this evening.

It's very cool, but I'm kinda like 'OK the sound packs are fun for a bit, but now let's do something useful with it'.

The thing is, I tend to just produce music rather than DJ, and I'm not used to working with loops or effects, or Traktor... I just compose and arrange in Ableton.

I must admit I bought the Spectra on impulse kinda, without really believeing what I'd use it for. And now I'm a bit confused! There's not a whole lot of info on using the MF with Ableton other than the momentary mapping thing which is pretty cool but again, not all that useful for production.

So, I'm asking you guys what kinda thing I should look at getting into with it. Should I pick up Traktor and start messing with that? If so, would I need the F1/X1? Or was I just an idiot and should put it on eBay for someone who can make better use of it?
Kandi Odom
Originally Posted by tekki
Add a BCR2000 in that setup and you would be able to mimic a Maschine.
Doing this now that am broke with my MFC!!!!!!!
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by Flowbik
Hey guys,

I just purchased a MF Spectra which arrived yesterday and I just had the chance to check it out this evening.

It's very cool, but I'm kinda like 'OK the sound packs are fun for a bit, but now let's do something useful with it'.

The thing is, I tend to just produce music rather than DJ, and I'm not used to working with loops or effects, or Traktor... I just compose and arrange in Ableton.

I must admit I bought the Spectra on impulse kinda, without really believeing what I'd use it for. And now I'm a bit confused! There's not a whole lot of info on using the MF with Ableton other than the momentary mapping thing which is pretty cool but again, not all that useful for production.

So, I'm asking you guys what kinda thing I should look at getting into with it. Should I pick up Traktor and start messing with that? If so, would I need the F1/X1? Or was I just an idiot and should put it on eBay for someone who can make better use of it?

I'd hold on to it! The fact that they are so flexible really lends itself to creativity...once you find a place for it.

With 4 banks mode (if the spectra has it) you could use that controller alone to control 2 decks in traktor...no need for an S4 for basic functionality.

You could use it for DJing in Ableton as well...for production; you've already played with Drum racks...I'm not sure I'd use it much for producing unless your productions incorporated some kind of live element.

Hope that helps
Maxine Perusquia
Hey guys,

Adolf Hit
@Flowbik

There is a awesome Mad Zach ableton mapping just around the corner - hold tight!
Latoria Kavulich

Random X
Have fun!
Kandi Odom
Originally Posted by tekki
Doing this now that am broke with my MFC!!!!!!!
Random X
Georgie Lukowiak
So I don't have to physically do anything on my computer , I map the play, start, pause, record button, record arms and other useful controls on my MF Classic to Ableton . So easy to map . It is the most effective in my opinion with Traktor though , so many good mappings! And you can map it to your specifications as well !
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by Flowbik
Hey guys,

I'd hold on to it! The fact that they are so flexible really lends itself to creativity...once you find a place for it.

With 4 banks mode (if the spectra has it) you could use that controller alone to control 2 decks in traktor...no need for an S4 for basic functionality.

You could use it for DJing in Ableton as well...for production; you've already played with Drum racks...I'm not sure I'd use it much for producing unless your productions incorporated some kind of live element.

Hope that helps
Maxine Perusquia
Yeah I hear you, I guess it could work just fine as an MPC style trigger pad as well as for the effects. I just feel like I'm not using it to it's full potential.

Is it worth grabbing Traktor and getting into that? Seems like a lot of fun can be had with the MF's in there.
Jody Reebel
The MIDI Fighter is kind of like how I use my MPK Mini, as a sampling/effects controller... The Spectra doesn't really have knobs, but that doesn't stop you from mapping effects to the buttons, cause I map, per se, "Beat mashing" to my keys, on my MPK Mini...

You can also use the "Spectra" to trigger samples in your DAW, or use it to make drum racks, rather than using a step sequencer... If I am making drums straight, in one go, and I don't want to re-sample, and chop, I'll go ahead and play them out on my pads... Though the Spectra would be more prone to DJing, it doesn't stop you, from using it to produce...

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy