ortofon concorde jumping at raves

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: ortofon concorde jumping at ravesReply
ortofon concorde jumping at raves
Posted on: 10.05.2012 by Sammie Okeeffe
So over the last 6 or so months I have made the transition from midifighter's to 1200.

I play in clubs and raves a least once every month with the rig size being around 20 to 30k. I am starting to notice that whenever I play on 1200's with concorde needles they jump everywhere! The other evening we even had to weight the needle more with the old chewing gum and 2p trick.

Does anyone else get these problems??
Arlyne Vicidomini
Originally Posted by mostapha

http://www.juno.co.uk/artists/Free+Float/

They work really well. I haven't used my set in a long time, but you can pound on the table under the deck and it won't skip.
+1 on this. I used to live in an apartment with really bouncey wooden floors. Got a pair of these and problem sovled.

Tiesto praised them back when he did his very first 'Tiesto in Concert', saying they saved his show apparently.
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
You could also try those inflatable float things they make to fit the 1200. I haven't tried them (never needed to) but I've heard good things.
I know they aren't , but those always have looked sketchy to me haha
Sammie Okeeffe
So over the last 6 or so months I have made the transition from midifighter's to 1200.

I play in clubs and raves a least once every month with the rig size being around 20 to 30k. I am starting to notice that whenever I play on 1200's with concorde needles they jump everywhere! The other evening we even had to weight the needle more with the old chewing gum and 2p trick.

Does anyone else get these problems??
Dorie Scelzo
Yeah…that was marketing mumbojumbo, but the fact remains that they're awesome at what they do……as long as you're not scratching.
Arlyne Vicidomini
Originally Posted by mostapha

They work really well. I haven't used my set in a long time, but you can pound on the table under the deck and it won't skip.
+1 on this. I used to live in an apartment with really bouncey wooden floors. Got a pair of these and problem sovled.

Tiesto praised them back when he did his very first 'Tiesto in Concert', saying they saved his show apparently.
Nadine Indovina
Check also, the tonearm height in order to adjust the angle of incidence of the needle on the groove, this prevent from distortion and jumping, but as said above, the subs might be the real problem.
Cheers.
Dorie Scelzo

If you're scratching (other than just back cuing) then use tennis balls or move the subs. If you're purely mixing, they're awesome.
Sammie Okeeffe
nice.. some funny ways of stopping needles from jumping. Was believeing of just investing in some heavier hard shells as the Concorde ones seem so light anyway.
Tania Somppi
He he he
A m8 used to play at a club in London with a whole booth like that.
It used to freak him out, the way it used to sway while he was in the mix and swing when people stepped into the booth.
Danae Dumler
A club I used to play at in LA had like a door or big wooden table top hanging from chains from the ceiling so it could swing freely, and turntables were put on top of that. It was kind of cool, but probably a lot harder to get set up than the tennis ball trick
Tania Somppi
Tennis balls cut in half under the decks are quite effective

Check to make sure the decks are level and the anti skate is set right too.
I know a couple of guys that carry a level and a single sided vinyl in their gig bags to adjust the decks before they play.
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
You could also try those inflatable float things they make to fit the 1200. I haven't tried them (never needed to) but I've heard good things.
I know they aren't , but those always have looked sketchy to me haha
Tatum Ansaldo
Corrin Penney
Yup, everyone gets these problems. Badly setup clubs are a pain in the arse, expecially when they slap the subs next to the booth.
The bass is whats making the needle jump (I assume). Its either that or youve got a really springy floor in the place.

There are various methods to control this, the most effective is to move the subs away from the booth! lol.
You could get them to try and isolate the turntables a bit but putting down a concrete slab, sound isolating foam and then another slab ontop of that, then the 1210.

My usual method though is to revert to internal playback on my X1 and put on a good show with what ive got. Better using sync than skipping records and galloping horses.

Keep the midi fighter for backup

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy