Beginner Scratch Set up

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Beginner Scratch Set upReply
Beginner Scratch Set up
Posted on: 07.11.2012 by Loan Oballe
Ok I've had a controller for about 6 months now, but I want to progress with a vinyl setup. I need a good value setup not necessarily the cheapest but one that only needs to cater for a beginner. I'm looking at scratching as well as mixing and I'll most likely move to serato when I have the money.

Couple of things.
Please don't suggest buying technics, unfortunately in aus the cheapest you can find a used TT is $800 bucks a piece if your lucky.

While I'm looking for good quality and value I'm also on a budget, I'm running about $700+, but unfortunately that doesn't go too far here.

Cheers in advance.
Maricruz Felter
Originally Posted by Antus
that's an awesome deal shame im in aus.

Taking in all that information into account I'm save for something a little better, I don't believe that can hurt

Alternatively, you could buy a single "good" table and use it in single turntable mode with a DVS or on it's own with a real vinyl, and learn to scratch with just a single table til you can afford the other one.
Loan Oballe
Ok I've had a controller for about 6 months now, but I want to progress with a vinyl setup. I need a good value setup not necessarily the cheapest but one that only needs to cater for a beginner. I'm looking at scratching as well as mixing and I'll most likely move to serato when I have the money.

Couple of things.
Please don't suggest buying technics, unfortunately in aus the cheapest you can find a used TT is $800 bucks a piece if your lucky.

While I'm looking for good quality and value I'm also on a budget, I'm running about $700+, but unfortunately that doesn't go too far here.

Cheers in advance.
Federico Vilas
you can look on guitar center used online selection too...i've got some really good deals from high idle pieces...picked up a 1200 for $125 shipped one time. The numarks are dirt cheap and their shipping and packing is amazing
Dottie Tabet
I can actually recommend the Reloop RP-2000 mk3! :-)
Winter Ruggio
o.k, all the post are dead on in their own way,especially Patch's...buy a numark tt200,very affordable,i can do every single skratch on it that i do on a PDX or 1200.as far as mixer,look over at the inno-faders site and find the cheapest mixer that excepts an inno-fader,i believe its the behringer vmx 1000-----"update,actually its the vmx 300,not the 1000,again,not listed",its not listed on there,but its dirt cheap and i put one in for a buddy and it kuts like a razor with a less than 1mm entrance.ok,now since torq is gone,some people still have connectiv sound cards for sale and control vinyl.then buy a cheap lap top.i bought mine at walmart for like $380 2 years ago.so thats your 2nd turntable,the computer,torq will be your program,you can even bring or still use the x-ponent and juggle back and fourth from the numark tt200 to the x-ponent.plus all the effects apply to the skratch sound,like echo and delay and gater..etc...which is cooler then jus doing a backspin after every song.Or,since you have torq 2,buy an audio 2 that comes with traktor 'far far better if you really wanna explore skratching' i own all 3,torq,serato and traktor and only perform and record with traktor...you can tell torq 2 to use the audio 2 card and BAM you are in traktor.anyway,since you have torq already,i would start with that,i did,its stripped down and very basic,then move up to traktor or serato.of course everybody inna perfect world wants to start with a technics or a vestax C1 or whatever.but if you wanna get started learning,kick in any door you gotta to put your hand onna record and onna fader.my friends and i started with very very horrible set-ups and we are better artists because of it.you my friend are more than half way there.
good luck.
j-
Federico Vilas
you can get sets of 1200's on craigslist for $500 still and pdx2000's for even cheaper...from broke dj's that need to pay bills...i bought 4 1200's for $800...a set of pdx2000's for $400...
Loan Oballe
Actually i might do that, so i assume just have an ipod or somthing? seems good cheers for that
Maricruz Felter
Originally Posted by Antus

Taking in all that information into account I'm save for something a little better, I don't believe that can hurt

Alternatively, you could buy a single "good" table and use it in single turntable mode with a DVS or on it's own with a real vinyl, and learn to scratch with just a single table til you can afford the other one.
Loan Oballe

Erich Vallabhaneni
I dunno if this is something you're looking for but

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Numark-Ttx-T...item337d7df4b1
Brunilda Kora
I'm gonna 2nd what people have said above - turntable-wise for scratching, you need strong torque. only 1210's, the numark ttx, stanton str8-150's or vestax's pdx range are any good for this. you won't be able to learn properly on anything less, what you do learn won't be transferrable to a club setup that will have one of these if any at all, and it'll cost you again to upgrade.
Rubbish. I learned on a pair of Limit SQ2000's - but ANY direct drive turntable will do. You may have to play about with slipmats, etc, but any turntable with half decent torque will be good enough to learn to scratch on.
Babette Poppiti
Hey Antus,

I'm gonna 2nd what people have said above - turntable-wise for scratching, you need strong torque. only 1210's, the numark ttx, stanton str8-150's or vestax's pdx range are any good for this. you won't be able to learn properly on anything less, what you do learn won't be transferrable to a club setup that will have one of these if any at all, and it'll cost you again to upgrade. have you tried ebay for some decent 2nd hand pairs?

also are you believeing about a scratch mixer or just using your existing controller for this? you'd need strong build quality such as a allen & heath xone 22 or 02, or the classic scratch mixer a technics sh-ex1200.

good luck in whatever you do...
Loan Oballe
currently i have an m audio xponent controller, so i can only mix. of course there is more to learn i just want to get to scratching
Marnie Smallcomb
The staton are good ones. And there ain't really a middle of the road way,otherwise your torque is too low for scratching etc.
I'd recommened you practice for a couple of months and save money and then buy proper gear.... 3 times upgrading only costs money.
I don't know which deck you have, have, but i have reloop tm4 and i doubt if you can't learn anything more after 6 months of pratice....
gr.rich
Loan Oballe
Yea all those options for tt's aren't gonna do, one of those alone would rip through my budget. I'm not necessarily looking at my only turntable purchase ever, I intend on upgrading to some super OEMs later but were I am they retail about 600-700 bucks a single. I need a full set up for 700-800 bucks.
Erich Vallabhaneni
The Numark TTX's are good too
Maricruz Felter
other than Technics the only two tables I've ever heard people recommend are the Stanton STR8-150's or the Vestax PDX 2000's.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy