Reason people buy the DJM900 over the DJM2000?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Reason people buy the DJM900 over the DJM2000?Reply
Reason people buy the DJM900 over the DJM2000?
Posted on: 17.10.2012 by Palma Hanslip
After recently selling my DJM700 i'm looking to upgrade.

Besides the obvious reasons of the 900 having the classic Pioneer layout, Traktor Certified, the 2000 touch screen sucks and it hasn't had a firmware update in over a year is there any reason people prefer the DJM900?

I'm really stuck between the two, really edging towards the 2000 but still not 100% sure.
Palma Hanslip
Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk
my only other 2p on the debate would be that you're (in my opinion) more likely to come across a djm900 in a clubs booth, rather than the 2000, so the familiarity is always good...
Thanks for your input Chris, Yeah totally agree with what you are saying here. An advantage i believe i have is that i have used that many DJM's (300, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 2000) that i feel comfortable on all of them including the 2000

Originally Posted by trilla_shocka
Got a DJM-850 at GC for $1279 last Saturday... BNIB

Same exact mixer as the 900 minus

2 Color Effects
No digital coax outs (no one uses these)
No X-Pad (not that big of the deal just hit the buttons)
No link port for Rekordbox
Sounds like you got a great deal man! Well done on that! But the items that you have listed (minus the digital coax outs) are stuff that i really want in the mixer hence the choice in the DJM

Originally Posted by JDFS
I believe for home, it's an ideal mixer! Not too expensive but it does come with Traktor integration.
Perfect for home as you have said!

But just to update this, i ended up buying the DJM900. After many hours believeing about it i don't know what made me decide it apart from i played on the 900 in Ministry of Sound last month and after not enjoying a previous experience, i enjoyed this one with it. The X-pad basically has been enough for me to decide over the 2000.
Basil Forshee

2 Color Effects
I believe for home, it's an ideal mixer! Not too expensive but it does come with Traktor integration.
Palma Hanslip
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
If you believe you want a 900, and don't need Traktor certification, you actually want a 2000. The reason the 900 exists is due to the updated sound card, and the fact that the average DJ is borderline autistic when it comes to gear, and will lambast and fear a piece of gear due to a single perception about it.

Speaking as a person who owns a 2000, and has played on half a dozen 900s. The only improvement the 900 makes (aside from the sound card) is the faders (slightly, they have an aluminum rail), and the compressor effect (which half of the 900's user base hasnt even figured out exists). That is literally it. Virtually every single aspect of the 2000 that directly differs from the 900 is markedly superior to it's counterpart in multiple ways, and mixing on a 900 is almost frustrating after living on a 2000.

But this is the internet, so a majority of people who bought a 900 out of wariness or have never even touched a 2000 will tell you their opinions based on the thumbnail sized picture they may have seen of it at some point, and tell you to go for the 900 based on the fact that it's what Pioneer is pushing.

If you have any direct questions about it, I'd be happy to answer them (I've owned a 2000 for about a year now).
Thanks for this comment, this is exactly the sort of feedback i have been looking for. I'm fortunate enough to have used both mixers and enjoyed the 2000 more. I love the way it is layed out, but as you know spending that sort of cash you just want to make sure you are making the correct decision.

Originally Posted by DJ Bob
if you're spending the money on a top of the range mixer then take a look at the allen & heath DB4.
i auditioned it against the 900 and 2000 and it came out on top by a big margin, especially in the sound quality department.
A&H are constantly evolving the functions, listening to the users and adding new features and new FX, something pioneer are not able to do with their DJM series currently. worth a look...
Thanks for the suggestion.. The original choice was between the DJM2000 and the DB4 and the DB4 was definitely my favourite. But i play out far too much and it's always on Pio gear so that plays a big part, also i have the RMX1000 and i know the DB4 doesn't have send/return which would irritate be quite a bit. I know there are work arounds for it (Full English Pint shows us in his setup) but it was just nag at me. Also another thing is i will eventually be buying 2000 Nexus CDJs so the integration between the three items (CDJ's/DJM) makes sense to me.
Palma Hanslip
After recently selling my DJM700 i'm looking to upgrade.

Besides the obvious reasons of the 900 having the classic Pioneer layout, Traktor Certified, the 2000 touch screen sucks and it hasn't had a firmware update in over a year is there any reason people prefer the DJM900?

I'm really stuck between the two, really edging towards the 2000 but still not 100% sure.
Mimi Mahaffee
Well, now the 2000 nexus is out so that kind of bumps up the game.

but reasons i choose the 900 nexus is

1. most clubs have djm 800/900 around my town and thats what ive been using
2. it takes less space.

why 900 nexus over djm 850?

Digital inputs for my cdjs 2000
quantize for the effects
xpad is quite fun also.

Had the djm 850 + controllers before and really liked that setup but now with 2000 nexuses i thought upgrading was good.
(yes I do change gear quite often, quite crazy now when i believe bout it).

Have had cdj 100, djm 300
numark omni control
kontrol s4
cdj 1000mk3 djm 400
cdj 850 + djm 800
kontrol s2
cdj 2000+djm350
djm 850
xdj aero (still have it)
cdj 2000 nxs+ djm 900 nxs (setup atm)
Alfredo Tooher
very nice man! Yes, the "testing" is killing me, lol... Hopefully Monday brings a smile to my face

I've ended up following all your posts on Pioneers community s. You should be a golden member
thank you! Always glad to help when I can
Palma Hanslip
You summed it up pretty well there Brichi. I've ended up following all your posts on Pioneers community s. You should be a golden member!

I've updated my setup anyways see it here.. I'm also a Nexus tester now aswel

http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=57774
Alfredo Tooher

2 Color Effects
most of these are the reasons I went with the 900

2 Color Effects -
true, still has noise and filter so thats cool

it has a digital out, just no digital ins to connect the CDJ's too, that's how I, and a lot of other people I know, wire their systems up and the 900 has the digital ins which is a plus for me

No X-Pad (not that big of the deal just hit the buttons) -
I use that a lot now that I got used to it, love it

I link the 900 to the 2000's so the effects bpm is right on immediately and I dont have to wait for it to calculate the bpm, everything effect wise just stays in sync, especially with quantize on

but hey, every dj has their way and setup, Just wanted people to see the other side too.
Palma Hanslip
Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk
my only other 2p on the debate would be that you're (in my opinion) more likely to come across a djm900 in a clubs booth, rather than the 2000, so the familiarity is always good...
Thanks for your input Chris, Yeah totally agree with what you are saying here. An advantage i believe i have is that i have used that many DJM's (300, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 2000) that i feel comfortable on all of them including the 2000

2 Color Effects
Sounds like you got a great deal man! Well done on that! But the items that you have listed (minus the digital coax outs) are stuff that i really want in the mixer hence the choice in the DJM

Originally Posted by JDFS
Perfect for home as you have said!

But just to update this, i ended up buying the DJM900. After many hours believeing about it i don't know what made me decide it apart from i played on the 900 in Ministry of Sound last month and after not enjoying a previous experience, i enjoyed this one with it. The X-pad basically has been enough for me to decide over the 2000.
Basil Forshee

2 Color Effects
Adrian Zadrozny

2 Color Effects
Teresia Janusch
Palma Hanslip
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
If you believe you want a 900, and don't need Traktor certification, you actually want a 2000. The reason the 900 exists is due to the updated sound card, and the fact that the average DJ is borderline autistic when it comes to gear, and will lambast and fear a piece of gear due to a single perception about it.

Speaking as a person who owns a 2000, and has played on half a dozen 900s. The only improvement the 900 makes (aside from the sound card) is the faders (slightly, they have an aluminum rail), and the compressor effect (which half of the 900's user base hasnt even figured out exists). That is literally it. Virtually every single aspect of the 2000 that directly differs from the 900 is markedly superior to it's counterpart in multiple ways, and mixing on a 900 is almost frustrating after living on a 2000.

But this is the internet, so a majority of people who bought a 900 out of wariness or have never even touched a 2000 will tell you their opinions based on the thumbnail sized picture they may have seen of it at some point, and tell you to go for the 900 based on the fact that it's what Pioneer is pushing.

If you have any direct questions about it, I'd be happy to answer them (I've owned a 2000 for about a year now).
Thanks for this comment, this is exactly the sort of feedback i have been looking for. I'm fortunate enough to have used both mixers and enjoyed the 2000 more. I love the way it is layed out, but as you know spending that sort of cash you just want to make sure you are making the correct decision.

Originally Posted by DJ Bob
if you're spending the money on a top of the range mixer then take a look at the allen & heath DB4.
i auditioned it against the 900 and 2000 and it came out on top by a big margin, especially in the sound quality department.
A&H are constantly evolving the functions, listening to the users and adding new features and new FX, something pioneer are not able to do with their DJM series currently. worth a look...
Thanks for the suggestion.. The original choice was between the DJM2000 and the DB4 and the DB4 was definitely my favourite. But i play out far too much and it's always on Pio gear so that plays a big part, also i have the RMX1000 and i know the DB4 doesn't have send/return which would irritate be quite a bit. I know there are work arounds for it (Full English Pint shows us in his setup) but it was just nag at me. Also another thing is i will eventually be buying 2000 Nexus CDJs so the integration between the three items (CDJ's/DJM) makes sense to me.
Amira Gotcher
Nancey Inderlied

Palma Hanslip
Thanks Chris. That's the first time ive heard someone say they have dropped the effects in Traktor for the mixers ones..

I forgot to mention that i use vinyl/CD's to mix with mainly, will eventually get CDJ2000's to move over to USB. So the Traktor certification isn't too big an issue as i only use Traktor once a month or so for pure home use.
Teresia Janusch
I went for the 900 mainly due to being traktor certified and not having to fuck about wiring my audio 8 up all the time...also ill note that since getting the 900, ive barely touched the fx in traktor
Palma Hanslip
Patch, that's the exact answer i get from quite a bit of people, not really fond of the touch screen, i believe i just like the buttons for effects rather than the knob.

Thanks Photo! Will do!
Leeanna Ayla
PM Hedgehog, I believe he got a 2000 and then switched to a 900.
Brunilda Kora
Touch screen seems like a bot of a (badly executed) novelty to be honest. If I had to choose (and I wish I could afford to!) I'd grab the 900.
Palma Hanslip
Yeah bloody expensive is right!

Just something i have wondered, i'm getting both mixers at the same price so price isn't an issue. Just wondering really.
Brunilda Kora
Good question - not much difference in price, is there?

Bloody expensive, though!

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy