Sorry but CDJ's bore me

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Sorry but CDJ's bore meReply
Sorry but CDJ's bore me
Posted on: 29.11.2012 by Joesph Perrodin
I've experimented with a CDJ setups Pioneer CDJ1000mk3, CDJ850K, & Denon DNS3700, all of which started to kill my love of mixing house music, with vinyl mixing is a pleasure, and when you do set a great set, you feel good, knowing that its 100 percent down to your selection of music and your mixing skills, with CDJ's, for me it became very dull & boring so easy to mix, I know of a few DJ's, a few years ago who's vinyl mixing skills where less than pefect, than a miracle happened they changed to CDJ's and overevening they where amazing. LOL

long live vinyl

2x Technics, Pioneer DJM900
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by photojojo
Plus I've got motorcycle and bicycle shops that fulfill that need for me.
I'd hang out in motorcycle shops if they carried vinyl records.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
lmao, I enjoy having the extra money now that's for sure. I had to drive downtown ATL to earwax records or more dusty than digital back in the day, so It was a pain in the ass to deal with traffic
Unless I missed where they moved, earwax closed a while ago. So did Satellite. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any local shops.

I like spinning on CDJs. It is easier than spinning on vinyl, but………meh. The difference isn't huge. I just don't like paying for them.

But, liquit……I agree. I believe I'm at the point where I'd probably map some combination of my MIDI controllers (maschine, lpd8, nanokontrol2) to spin in either Live or Traktor (which I don't own right now) if I were going anywhere and didn't explicitly want to bring my DDJ-SX just for the heck of it. If that became the norm for me, I might consider buying something like an SCS 4.DJ, because I'm sure it's good enough to throw a set. I'll probably never take my 1200s out of my room again. But when I have the room to set them up……they're a lot of fun to spin on.
Federico Vilas
I do not miss record stores or crates in any way whatsoever.
lmao, I enjoy having the extra money now that's for sure. I had to drive downtown ATL to earwax records or more dusty than digital back in the day, so It was a pain in the ass to deal with traffic

In the back of my mind every time I haul my 1200s I believe of how much easier it was when I strayed away and gigged with a vci-100 a few years ago...shoot i'm going to map out my maschine mk2 and if gig out if someone doesn't want to pay...which is my major issue with gigs in the Chattanooga/Knoxville, tn area...people are cheap...weddings = $500 here where in ATL I was getting $1000+ for a wedding

it was a hassle to bring crates to gigs for sure but fun when there were multiple dj's and you only needed to bring a bag of 20-25 records to spin a quick set and bounce
Joesph Perrodin
I've experimented with a CDJ setups Pioneer CDJ1000mk3, CDJ850K, & Denon DNS3700, all of which started to kill my love of mixing house music, with vinyl mixing is a pleasure, and when you do set a great set, you feel good, knowing that its 100 percent down to your selection of music and your mixing skills, with CDJ's, for me it became very dull & boring so easy to mix, I know of a few DJ's, a few years ago who's vinyl mixing skills where less than pefect, than a miracle happened they changed to CDJ's and overevening they where amazing. LOL

long live vinyl

2x Technics, Pioneer DJM900
Danae Dumler
Plus I've got motorcycle and bicycle shops that fulfill that need for me.
I'd hang out in motorcycle shops if they carried vinyl records.
Federico Vilas
yeah, it's been a good minute since i've been downtown to the record shop...i'm pretty sure they closed down too...

i just got maschine...going to map it out with and without the 1200's just as an option for folks that don't wanna pay. I do eventually plan on getting a cd deck but they are so damn expensive!
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
Unless I missed where they moved, earwax closed a while ago. So did Satellite. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any local shops.

I like spinning on CDJs. It is easier than spinning on vinyl, but………meh. The difference isn't huge. I just don't like paying for them.

But, liquit……I agree. I believe I'm at the point where I'd probably map some combination of my MIDI controllers (maschine, lpd8, nanokontrol2) to spin in either Live or Traktor (which I don't own right now) if I were going anywhere and didn't explicitly want to bring my DDJ-SX just for the heck of it. If that became the norm for me, I might consider buying something like an SCS 4.DJ, because I'm sure it's good enough to throw a set. I'll probably never take my 1200s out of my room again. But when I have the room to set them up……they're a lot of fun to spin on.
Leeanna Ayla
I guess I miss the hanging out and bullshitting aspect of the stores, but this place kind of takes the place of that. Plus I've got motorcycle and bicycle shops that fulfill that need for me.
Federico Vilas

In the back of my mind every time I haul my 1200s I believe of how much easier it was when I strayed away and gigged with a vci-100 a few years ago...shoot i'm going to map out my maschine mk2 and if gig out if someone doesn't want to pay...which is my major issue with gigs in the Chattanooga/Knoxville, tn area...people are cheap...weddings = $500 here where in ATL I was getting $1000+ for a wedding

it was a hassle to bring crates to gigs for sure but fun when there were multiple dj's and you only needed to bring a bag of 20-25 records to spin a quick set and bounce
Leeanna Ayla
Lilliana Perris
^^ this!
Shan Bauerly
Without getting too philosophical - I'd add that, it is because sound/music is analog. There's just something about playing a record. You hear audio guys making similar arguments for tubes vs. solid state. Odd-order harmonics, etc. In my view, CDJs are more like fine tools. Turntables, comparatively, are more akin to musical instruments. With vinyl, you have to fuss with the decks, dial them in, keep them clean and aligned - you have to care for them if they are to perform. With this knowledge of your instrument comes intimacy and a different connection to the craft.
Joesph Perrodin
ahh yeh record shops likewise, I used to love digging for vinyl, that was a big part of the social experience as a dj, sorely missed

if you can't mix on vinyl you don't deserve to be a dj!
Federico Vilas
you had to have talent to dj back in the day. you should see the kids i teach trying to beat match on my 1200's...it's hilarious how bad they struggle when they have to manually beat match a track... I love DVS, I love midi, and I love what we can do creatively now on the FLY...

BUT...

I miss going to the record store every payday to buy records. I still spin a set every once in a while with my records only just to get that feeling back...while DVS is great and keeps me from hauling all my crates to a gig, sometimes I wish it was back in the day again...

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy