my vinyl collection

my vinyl collection
Posted on: 24.11.2012 by Mabel Sumling
i started buying records in 1985...been dj'ing almost as long (started in 86), and recently built some shelving in my basement to hold my collection...mind you, ive gotten rid of a bunch of stuff over the years as well as had stuff stolen / borrowed and never given back....but anyhow...here it is...each shelving unit is 4 feet wide.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Patrick Wayne
as for moisture, the room that the records are in is the room where we have our furnace, so it doesnt ever get too moist in there...im currently in the process of putting them in the plastic outer sleeves, so if there IS moisture, at least the jackets wont stick together...ive had that happen before and its a bummer.
When I lived in the midwest I left town for a few days in the winter and came back to burst waterpipes, water damage to many of my possessions including hundreds of vinyl LPs. I salvaged most of the vinyl itself but the covers were mostly destroyed and not worth even trying to dry out. I had worked at a record store a couple years before that and I remembered a big box of blank white record covers under a bin so I went back there and talked the owner into giving me the blank covers. Threw a party and passed around colored markers and blank covers and people drew record covers for a bunch of my records. So now I have a ton of unique record covers with crazy drawings and jokes written on them; the monetary value of any of the records is gone (assuming they were worth anything to begin with) but I kind of love having such a unique set of record covers.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by mostapha
I hope that's organized. I assume either alphabetical or chronological?
hahahahah you are joking right? I don't know about the OP but I gave up trying to organize my vinyl systematically like that long ago. On my shelves records are loosely organized in terms of genre but even that is difficult given how tenuous some of the lines between genres are. Alphabetizing within those categories would be a evening mare.... As you say, the covers end up meaning more than the artist or title; I have tons of records I love playing but don't remember who or what they are except for the cover.
Mabel Sumling
i started buying records in 1985...been dj'ing almost as long (started in 86), and recently built some shelving in my basement to hold my collection...mind you, ive gotten rid of a bunch of stuff over the years as well as had stuff stolen / borrowed and never given back....but anyhow...here it is...each shelving unit is 4 feet wide.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Patrick Wayne
as for moisture, the room that the records are in is the room where we have our furnace, so it doesnt ever get too moist in there...im currently in the process of putting them in the plastic outer sleeves, so if there IS moisture, at least the jackets wont stick together...ive had that happen before and its a bummer.
When I lived in the midwest I left town for a few days in the winter and came back to burst waterpipes, water damage to many of my possessions including hundreds of vinyl LPs. I salvaged most of the vinyl itself but the covers were mostly destroyed and not worth even trying to dry out. I had worked at a record store a couple years before that and I remembered a big box of blank white record covers under a bin so I went back there and talked the owner into giving me the blank covers. Threw a party and passed around colored markers and blank covers and people drew record covers for a bunch of my records. So now I have a ton of unique record covers with crazy drawings and jokes written on them; the monetary value of any of the records is gone (assuming they were worth anything to begin with) but I kind of love having such a unique set of record covers.
Mabel Sumling
hey everyone...thanks for the responses...sorry i havent gotten back sooner...

so to answer some of the questions...yes...it is all organized...ive since bought plastic dividers for everything...the bulk of my collection is house, so thats all alphabetical by artist (PAINSTAKING PROCESS BTW)...then i have old school Freestyle music (dont know if some of you know what that is) again..i separated the genre, then alpha by artist....next section is hip hop / r&b...alpha by artist..next is scratch / battle records...alpha by artist...next is party breaks / remix services...alpha by company (av8, wicked mix, lethal weapon etc etc...) and finally full length LP's alpha by artist.

Janell Selser
Nice collection. Are you concerned with moisture getting into that bottom row? I would try to get them up on blocks.
Joesph Perrodin
vinyl love, respect
Jennifer Preissler
I still love collecting Vinyl nothing will ever stop my black crack addiction. Wish I had the space to buy more at the moment lol. Love the shelves and collection!
Dorie Scelzo
Yeah……I just can't imagine my haphazard autobiographical orginization working well for a collection much larger than the one I have.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by mostapha
hahahahah you are joking right? I don't know about the OP but I gave up trying to organize my vinyl systematically like that long ago. On my shelves records are loosely organized in terms of genre but even that is difficult given how tenuous some of the lines between genres are. Alphabetizing within those categories would be a evening mare.... As you say, the covers end up meaning more than the artist or title; I have tons of records I love playing but don't remember who or what they are except for the cover.
Palma Hanslip
That looks awesome!
Dorie Scelzo

At a gig I love flipping through vinyl sleeves, as the covers end up meaning more to me (relating to the song) than the aritst/title ever could. But it's a huge PITA to try and organize records like that at home.

Still……kind of gorgeous. Every time I believe about it, I regret not buying more vinyl………except when I believe about organizing it.
Chong Mine
I'm salivating
Mabel Sumling
the bulk of it is house related...some hip hop....i also produce, so i buy alot of LP's looking for samples...so i have some rock, jazz, some latin stuff....big variety.
Alease Fitch
Nice! What genres do you have in there?

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy