Technics all the way... my SL-family is growing !

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Technics all the way... my SL-family is growing !Reply
Technics all the way... my SL-family is growing !
Posted on: 27.11.2012 by Dannielle Dingey
After owning a set of American Audio HTD4.5 (aka SuperOEM) for 5 years, I got bored with them and managed to sell them for 375 euro (I payed 350 5 years ago and kept the banana carts).

Then I wanted to refurb a set of technics. I have already have 1 mint SL1200 (1979) & 1 mint (in the box) 1210 (2008). I want to keep these mint & stock....

I went looking and managed to grab a set of technics for 250 euro
No dustcover and paintwork was scratched, platter faded, needle lamp burned.... the usual dj set
After small inspection...all seemed to work well, so I bought them.

Checking them again at home....technical & inside was perfect, no missing parts, no damage... SCORE !
I disassembled both units and made a shopping list:

• 2 tone arms silver (the originals are ok, but these players have to be perfect)
  • 2 dust filters fader
  • 1 metal ball for on/off
  • 2 pitch ornaments black
  • 2 missing screws

Only 110 euro for the whole list

After receiving the package, I had a fun weekend

To do:

• cleaning/removing dust on parts & PCB's
  • polish platters & spindles
  • disassembly faders, cleaning, removing center click, lubing & assembly + disable pitch lock & stock calibration
  • removing auto start wires
  • changing needle lamp & stock leds (strobe, picth & 33/45) for white leds... (SMD's for the 33/45 leds @ 450 mcd)
  • changing 2 tone arms + upgrade stock wires with cardas
  • internal grounding mod
  • changing stock RCA with short female plugs
  • refurb one set of feet (remove awfull DIY repair glue, prep rubber & apply new glue)

The decks went to a professional sprayer for blasting, primer, sanding, 4 coats 2K (grey-black) & varnish (satin).

Still waiting on the delivery of the white pitch leds (2x5mm white ones with low mcd are very hard to find), but besides that everything is done...

Cost:

250 euro (purchase set SL's)
110 euro (technics parts)
150 euro (paint job)
20 euro (leds, ....)

Total: 530 euro

Result
DSC07131.jpgDSC07133.jpgDSC07134.jpgDSC07135.jpg
Augustine Mitzen
jeluz.

let us know how you like the rodec... i play on it once in a while and i'd like to hear someone elses opinion
Dannielle Dingey
Time goes fast...but here is an update (bought/repaired more stuff )

We moved a few months ago and our baby boy was born end of April (the second one is a lot more hassle). There is always work to do when moving into a new house, so I had other priorities in the past few months...but now I'm finally building my temporary music studio. Installed now is ->

Booth:

2x SL1200MK2
2x CDJ2000
Rodec mx180mk3 / Rane XP2016a / Xone92r / DJM 909
TSP 2 / audio 8 / MBP
Machine MK2

Hifi (all Technics):

SL-1200 MK1
SL-1200 MK2
SU-8080
ST-8080
ST-9038
SL-P770
+ B&W DM14 with fresh crossovers

Sound:

Speakers
2x RCF L15P200 (subs)
2x Beyma cx12 (mid/high)
2x Focal 7v313 (mid)
2x JBL 075 (high)
2x Prodipe Pro ribbon 8 (monitor)

Amps
Dap Vision 1600 (rcf's)
Dap Palladium 900 (beyma's)
Rodec 340 (focals)
AD vintage (discreet) stereo amp (JBL's)

Processing
DEQ 2496
DCX 2496

For now, everything is just hooked up, in 2 months I will have to remove all the gear and start finishing up the room & acoustics. At least I now know the ideal set-up for the room.

The total cost for the whole mini sound system (speakers & amps) was the retail price of the dap vision amp (about 600 euro). Peanuts if you ask me, because everything is made with quality components & parts (neutrik connectors, Tasker/cordial/... wires, penn elcom, ...). The JBL 075 tweeters are valued at $500 (mint early pair with all wax seals intact).

Still amazed how much nice stuff you can find for cheap/free when searching in the right places. Once the room is finished and tuned in, I can finally start testing the rodec, Xone & Rane and also record mixes.

Feel welcome to post some feedback, questions, ... I will post some pictures later today.

Ps. checking out a Rodec MX1800 (Progressive series) in 2 days...don't need it but the deal is so sweeeet (600 for NIB)
Dannielle Dingey
Originally Posted by Destiny
Amazing job on the mixer. Love it! And that little Technics hi-fi looks great as well. Keep up the good work.
Thanks !

I've been busy with other stuff that last 2 weeks..
My wife was emitted to the hospital because the pregnancy is making her very sick and she was dehydrated.
The baby (boy !!!) is doing well and the wifey will be back home soon.

I'm also happy to say we bought an awsome house and will be moving @ end of february
The complete attic (3 rooms, +90m2 total) will be dedicated for my:
- music studio
- man cave / HT room (beamer, poker table, ...)
- office @ home

Besides that, I did work on some of my projects !

The SL's now both have a blue pitch led, by only disconnecting the orange wire the led works without the pitch lock enabled.

The rodec amp is completely refurbished
It was a lot of work to disassemble & desolder all the parts then testing them and cleaning the PCB & parts.
The amp has a perforated deckplate so loads of dust, grime, ... was inside the amp.

After all that work, I'm very happy with the result and the sound and looks are fawsome (+ no fans...perfect for studio/home use).

Will post pictures asap, battery is charging...
Dannielle Dingey
Thanks for posting !

It's been a busy weekend, had to collect some parts for ongoing 'projects'....and it's so rewarding to DIY !

Project 1:

DAP Palladium P-700 vintage (sjees what a name...)

8 Ohm Stereo Power (RMS): 240W
4 Ohm Stereo Power (RMS): 360W
8 Ohm Bridge Power (RMS): 720W

Not a spectacular amp by any means, but very easy to work on and it was free with a flightcase I bought for 25 euro (received it with one dead channel).
It looked brand new (inside & outside), only the cover plate was scratched...besides that no visual damage.

I already opened it up before and my multimeter told me one end stage was dead, so I had to replace a few transistors (toshiba).
It's a known default on these amps (P-500/P-700/P900) that good transistors (toshiba 2sa1941 & 2sc5198 ) were used but the specs were insufficiant (160v max). When powering on/off (no soft start) they can receive peaks above 160v, so I wanted to change them with toshiba 2sa1943 & 2sc5200 (230v max).

My electro-shop didn't have any on stock and they were hard to order...I was able to pick them last friday and started my DIY weekend with repairing this amp.

1 hour for disassembly unit, clean & check the PCB's (little dust, 2 bad soldering points) and clean & lube both fans.
1 hour dissassembly end stages (PCB's & heatsink), soldering & assembly
20 min of testing (no fine-tuning of the bias and clip-range needed)
Sanding, filler (+sanding), base coat (+ sanding) and top coat made the cover plate look like new.

For 40 euro in parts and some paint and sweat and I have a brand new amp....SUCCES

Picture of the dead end stage:

DSC07125.jpg

Project 2:

Rodec mx180 mkIII

This is a great mixer in so many ways....
  • it's 100% handmade in Belgium
  • eq's sound better them my xone 92 based on what my monitors tell me. Still have to test it on a large sound system but i'm confident (and yeah..I own both mixers and know how to use them )
  • no frills, or other stuff...this mixer is like driving a naked bike (going 60 feels like 100)
  • old skool VU meters
  • price I paid
  • FANTASTIC after sales... !!!!!

So, I bought this from an add on a WTS website...175 euro and it stated it 'needed some attention'...
I went to check it out, the seller was the owner of a very big PA & lighting company and the rodec was installed in a bar that closed down after 6 years. He told me he tested it and 3 faders needed to be replaced and some knobs were missing (3). He didn't want to invest time repairing it because renters only wanted the pioneers. But he ensured that besides the faders & knobs, it was 100%.

For the price, I didn't check it and took it with me...

It needed some TLC and I decided to take it apart 100% and rebuild it again after checking every aspect & detail.
My heart skipped a beat when a blade of an iron saw fell out of the casing when removing the very damaged & non OEM cabinet screws (another warning). Those blades are conductive, so I was afraid some DIY repair was done by a butcher of some kind.

To my surprise, all the PCB's looked great and was amazed by the high quality & modular build:

DSC07143.jpg

So still a score...let's make this beast pretty again
Shopping list (5 new line faders / 3 output faders / replacement set knobs / 6 RCA PCB mounts / small part for on/off button / OEM screws). I was able to pick up the parts @ Rodec HQ for a wholesale price...130 !!!! total and they were fantastic (info/service/...).

Then disassembly totalis...

DSC07144.jpg

This is how I roll on a saturdaymorning @5.30 AM

DSC07145.jpg

To do:
  • Check all parts (power supply, VU meter, ...)
  • Clean & wax face plate
  • Clean & check PCB's + solder 6 new RCA pairs (PCB mount)(a few of the old ones were cracked)
  • Check, clean & lube all potentiometers & switches
  • Disassemble, clean & lube crossfader
  • Assembly all parts with new OEM screws
  • Reconnect the on/off button with OEM part (was used as an installation mixer with a direct power-on connection on a central point)
  • Install new faders & knobs
  • Sand, fill, prime & spray the casing

Almost done...patient in recovery room:

DSC07148.jpg

Casing finished & on/off button reconnected...all done:

DSC07154.jpgDSC07155.jpgDSC07156.jpg

Looking & sounding like new...let the fight Xone 92 vs MX180 MK3 for main setup begin

Cost: 175 euro (purchase mixer)& 130 euro (parts)

Total cost: 305 euro not bad for a 1200 euro (retail) mixer !

Next project (in progress)

Restore a pair of TT flightcases.
I've been looking for ages to find these (not china mass produced, high quality wood & hardware, professional build) with handle on top + divider for cables.

DSC07150.jpg

Ps. I use DeOxit and/or kontakt chemie products for cleaning & lubing pots, faders, PCB's, contacts, switches, ...
Pss. picture of my technics hifi system:

DSC07162.jpg
Dannielle Dingey
Thanks for posting fella's !
Great eye on the 92r....i'm a sucker for analogue & rotary...great sound and no match for 900/DB's (IMHO!)
Also have a 909 but haven't used it in a looong time (but awsome mixer none the less, best 2 channel you can get besides maybe a Rane).

Another refurb weekend commin' up...and will take lot's of pictures

Bell Professional 5005 amp (vintage disco amp, OEM Fostex Model 600, 1984 - 200/300 watt )
I suspect only cleaning a respraying top deck...offset was less then 3 mV !!!!

Rodec MX180mkIII (4 channel mixer, no frills or stuff...just the best EQ in the world...and I've owned a loooot of mixers)
Awsome mixer from a Belgian company, needs some TLC, cleaning & soldering work + new faders & replace some knobs...) Going to try to score another deck plate and attempt a rotary mod.

Rodec Disco Max (vintage disco amp, 340 watt, 1979 in mint condition but inside/electronics need work)

rodec1979.jpg

1979, my magic number (year of birth)...I developed a habit of buying vintage gear from that year.
This resulted from a quest that took my a while to accomplish.

Building a TOTL Technics sound system from 1979 (max 100 euro/piece + mint + exception for CD player & speakers)

I ended up with:

SL1200 MKII (early production)
51YFFP90N5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ST-8080 & ST-9038
PA141523.JPG st-9038t.JPG

SU-8080
technics_su8080.jpg

SL-P770 + RC
slp770catalog.jpg

B&W DM12 + DM14
DM-14_______-F-001-906-BAW.jpg DM12.jpg

All mint, below 100 euro/piece & build & sold in 1979 (except cd-player)
What do you mean, Technics addict
Teresia Janusch
I picked up a 3rd 1210 off gumtree for
Dannielle Dingey
After owning a set of American Audio HTD4.5 (aka SuperOEM) for 5 years, I got bored with them and managed to sell them for 375 euro (I payed 350 5 years ago and kept the banana carts).

Then I wanted to refurb a set of technics. I have already have 1 mint SL1200 (1979) & 1 mint (in the box) 1210 (2008). I want to keep these mint & stock....

I went looking and managed to grab a set of technics for 250 euro
No dustcover and paintwork was scratched, platter faded, needle lamp burned.... the usual dj set
After small inspection...all seemed to work well, so I bought them.

Checking them again at home....technical & inside was perfect, no missing parts, no damage... SCORE !
I disassembled both units and made a shopping list:

• 2 tone arms silver (the originals are ok, but these players have to be perfect)
  • 2 dust filters fader
  • 1 metal ball for on/off
  • 2 pitch ornaments black
  • 2 missing screws

Only 110 euro for the whole list

After receiving the package, I had a fun weekend

To do:

• cleaning/removing dust on parts & PCB's
  • polish platters & spindles
  • disassembly faders, cleaning, removing center click, lubing & assembly + disable pitch lock & stock calibration
  • removing auto start wires
  • changing needle lamp & stock leds (strobe, picth & 33/45) for white leds... (SMD's for the 33/45 leds @ 450 mcd)
  • changing 2 tone arms + upgrade stock wires with cardas
  • internal grounding mod
  • changing stock RCA with short female plugs
  • refurb one set of feet (remove awfull DIY repair glue, prep rubber & apply new glue)

The decks went to a professional sprayer for blasting, primer, sanding, 4 coats 2K (grey-black) & varnish (satin).

Still waiting on the delivery of the white pitch leds (2x5mm white ones with low mcd are very hard to find), but besides that everything is done...

Cost:

250 euro (purchase set SL's)
110 euro (technics parts)
150 euro (paint job)
20 euro (leds, ....)

Total: 530 euro

Result
DSC07131.jpgDSC07133.jpgDSC07134.jpgDSC07135.jpg
Rena Estabrook
My place is like a refugee camp for DJ gear . My buddy can't mix with water damage to his laptop. Plus he needs space. He brought over a coffin with 2 Technics 1200MK2, Numark DM-1800, and Serato SL2. Other than the SL2, everything looks mid 80s. Doing some cleanup. Pretty dusty.
Dannielle Dingey
Originally Posted by Destiny
Amazing job on the mixer. Love it! And that little Technics hi-fi looks great as well. Keep up the good work.
Thanks !

I've been busy with other stuff that last 2 weeks..
My wife was emitted to the hospital because the pregnancy is making her very sick and she was dehydrated.
The baby (boy !!!) is doing well and the wifey will be back home soon.

I'm also happy to say we bought an awsome house and will be moving @ end of february
The complete attic (3 rooms, +90m2 total) will be dedicated for my:
- music studio
- man cave / HT room (beamer, poker table, ...)
- office @ home

Besides that, I did work on some of my projects !

The SL's now both have a blue pitch led, by only disconnecting the orange wire the led works without the pitch lock enabled.

The rodec amp is completely refurbished
It was a lot of work to disassemble & desolder all the parts then testing them and cleaning the PCB & parts.
The amp has a perforated deckplate so loads of dust, grime, ... was inside the amp.

After all that work, I'm very happy with the result and the sound and looks are fawsome (+ no fans...perfect for studio/home use).

Will post pictures asap, battery is charging...
Estrella Rozzo
Dannielle Dingey
My package of 5x2 leds arrived today (not China but Hong Kong)...

10x white
10x red
10x blue

Should I go all white or only a red/blue pitchled ?
Not that it will work, because I dissabled the 'pitck lock' for more accurate pitching.
I'm not aware of a tweak that make the led shine on '0' AND have the pitch lock dissabled ?
Dannielle Dingey
Thanks for posting !

It's been a busy weekend, had to collect some parts for ongoing 'projects'....and it's so rewarding to DIY !

Project 1:

DAP Palladium P-700 vintage (sjees what a name...)

8 Ohm Stereo Power (RMS): 240W
4 Ohm Stereo Power (RMS): 360W
8 Ohm Bridge Power (RMS): 720W

Not a spectacular amp by any means, but very easy to work on and it was free with a flightcase I bought for 25 euro (received it with one dead channel).
It looked brand new (inside & outside), only the cover plate was scratched...besides that no visual damage.

I already opened it up before and my multimeter told me one end stage was dead, so I had to replace a few transistors (toshiba).
It's a known default on these amps (P-500/P-700/P900) that good transistors (toshiba 2sa1941 & 2sc5198 ) were used but the specs were insufficiant (160v max). When powering on/off (no soft start) they can receive peaks above 160v, so I wanted to change them with toshiba 2sa1943 & 2sc5200 (230v max).

My electro-shop didn't have any on stock and they were hard to order...I was able to pick them last friday and started my DIY weekend with repairing this amp.

1 hour for disassembly unit, clean & check the PCB's (little dust, 2 bad soldering points) and clean & lube both fans.
1 hour dissassembly end stages (PCB's & heatsink), soldering & assembly
20 min of testing (no fine-tuning of the bias and clip-range needed)
Sanding, filler (+sanding), base coat (+ sanding) and top coat made the cover plate look like new.

For 40 euro in parts and some paint and sweat and I have a brand new amp....SUCCES

Picture of the dead end stage:

DSC07125.jpg

Project 2:

Rodec mx180 mkIII

This is a great mixer in so many ways....
  • it's 100% handmade in Belgium
  • eq's sound better them my xone 92 based on what my monitors tell me. Still have to test it on a large sound system but i'm confident (and yeah..I own both mixers and know how to use them )
  • no frills, or other stuff...this mixer is like driving a naked bike (going 60 feels like 100)
  • old skool VU meters
  • price I paid
  • FANTASTIC after sales... !!!!!

So, I bought this from an add on a WTS website...175 euro and it stated it 'needed some attention'...
I went to check it out, the seller was the owner of a very big PA & lighting company and the rodec was installed in a bar that closed down after 6 years. He told me he tested it and 3 faders needed to be replaced and some knobs were missing (3). He didn't want to invest time repairing it because renters only wanted the pioneers. But he ensured that besides the faders & knobs, it was 100%.

For the price, I didn't check it and took it with me...

It needed some TLC and I decided to take it apart 100% and rebuild it again after checking every aspect & detail.
My heart skipped a beat when a blade of an iron saw fell out of the casing when removing the very damaged & non OEM cabinet screws (another warning). Those blades are conductive, so I was afraid some DIY repair was done by a butcher of some kind.

To my surprise, all the PCB's looked great and was amazed by the high quality & modular build:

DSC07143.jpg

So still a score...let's make this beast pretty again
Shopping list (5 new line faders / 3 output faders / replacement set knobs / 6 RCA PCB mounts / small part for on/off button / OEM screws). I was able to pick up the parts @ Rodec HQ for a wholesale price...130 !!!! total and they were fantastic (info/service/...).

Then disassembly totalis...

DSC07144.jpg

This is how I roll on a saturdaymorning @5.30 AM

DSC07145.jpg

To do:
  • Check all parts (power supply, VU meter, ...)
  • Clean & wax face plate
  • Clean & check PCB's + solder 6 new RCA pairs (PCB mount)(a few of the old ones were cracked)
  • Check, clean & lube all potentiometers & switches
  • Disassemble, clean & lube crossfader
  • Assembly all parts with new OEM screws
  • Reconnect the on/off button with OEM part (was used as an installation mixer with a direct power-on connection on a central point)
  • Install new faders & knobs
  • Sand, fill, prime & spray the casing

Almost done...patient in recovery room:

DSC07148.jpg

Casing finished & on/off button reconnected...all done:

DSC07154.jpgDSC07155.jpgDSC07156.jpg

Looking & sounding like new...let the fight Xone 92 vs MX180 MK3 for main setup begin

Cost: 175 euro (purchase mixer)& 130 euro (parts)

Total cost: 305 euro not bad for a 1200 euro (retail) mixer !

Next project (in progress)

Restore a pair of TT flightcases.
I've been looking for ages to find these (not china mass produced, high quality wood & hardware, professional build) with handle on top + divider for cables.

DSC07150.jpg

Ps. I use DeOxit and/or kontakt chemie products for cleaning & lubing pots, faders, PCB's, contacts, switches, ...
Pss. picture of my technics hifi system:

DSC07162.jpg
Rena Estabrook
1979?!?! Nice
Teresia Janusch
Have you got a SL1200 mk1? I picked one up about 6 years ago, its my livingroom centre piece. Took me a while to find one with an original tonearm
Lilliana Perris
Ahhh....a '79er!!!

Same!
Dannielle Dingey
Thanks for posting fella's !
Great eye on the 92r....i'm a sucker for analogue & rotary...great sound and no match for 900/DB's (IMHO!)
Also have a 909 but haven't used it in a looong time (but awsome mixer none the less, best 2 channel you can get besides maybe a Rane).

Another refurb weekend commin' up...and will take lot's of pictures

Bell Professional 5005 amp (vintage disco amp, OEM Fostex Model 600, 1984 - 200/300 watt )
I suspect only cleaning a respraying top deck...offset was less then 3 mV !!!!

Rodec MX180mkIII (4 channel mixer, no frills or stuff...just the best EQ in the world...and I've owned a loooot of mixers)
Awsome mixer from a Belgian company, needs some TLC, cleaning & soldering work + new faders & replace some knobs...) Going to try to score another deck plate and attempt a rotary mod.

Rodec Disco Max (vintage disco amp, 340 watt, 1979 in mint condition but inside/electronics need work)

rodec1979.jpg

1979, my magic number (year of birth)...I developed a habit of buying vintage gear from that year.
This resulted from a quest that took my a while to accomplish.

Building a TOTL Technics sound system from 1979 (max 100 euro/piece + mint + exception for CD player & speakers)

I ended up with:

SL1200 MKII (early production)
51YFFP90N5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ST-8080 & ST-9038
PA141523.JPG st-9038t.JPG

SU-8080
technics_su8080.jpg

SL-P770 + RC
slp770catalog.jpg

B&W DM12 + DM14
DM-14_______-F-001-906-BAW.jpg DM12.jpg

All mint, below 100 euro/piece & build & sold in 1979 (except cd-player)
What do you mean, Technics addict
dan samo
I am jealous of your collection and your know-how. Help me with miiiiiine :P
Delila Vandommelen
Sweet rebuild there, looking sharp, they go nicely with the X:92R (I'm actually drooling a bit)

I really, really have to start looking for Techs regularly, getting tired of the weak motor on my vestax.
Shan Bauerly
Great job! I recently did the same, save for the paintwork. I had a local shop powder coat them in wrinkle black finish. Very rewarding.
Teresia Janusch
I picked up a 3rd 1210 off gumtree for
Federico Vilas
Looks great, i just painted my 1200 gloss blue...I did it myself BUT took my time. Looks like blue glass...now I need a more rugged set like what you did b/c i'm paranoid about scratching my beautiful 1200's...
Era Roka
cool!
Dannielle Dingey
I love to refurb old but awsome gear...that you can buy really cheap now

My next projects: Rodec MX180 mkIII

EQ & sound is fantastic and build like a tank (& modular)...for only 175 euro.
And it sounds better then my Xone

Some work (more like elbow grease -> cleaning) and I have to change a few knobs... small investment for this great piece (retail @ 1200 euro)

And I have 2 old but working amps (200/300-ish watt but old & gold sound, 100 euro for the pair)

Bell 5005
Rodec Disco Max

They also will be refurbished to mint condition, so I will be posting more often in the next few weeks...

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy