cdj 2000s or technics m5gs??

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: cdj 2000s or technics m5gs??Reply
cdj 2000s or technics m5gs??
Posted on: 18.12.2011 by Eloisa Biehle
I am putting together a new setup and am stuck contemplating between cdjs and vinyl. I just wanted to hear your thoughts on what to go with. I mix mostly EDC but really have been trying to get into hip hop and more turntablism, mostly scratching i can already juggle pretty well.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Jumanji
I would go the turntable route over the CDJ route, but M5G turntables would be a huge waste of money if you are going to just be using them for control vinyl.

And I'm not saying that just because I don't like Technics turntables. The advantage of the higher end 1200 series turntables, is better sound quality. Sound quality is completely irrelevant if you are using a DVS.
I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference sound quality wise between a 1200 M5G and a 1200 Mk1 or 2. I'd say the difference is features.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by xombiexplox
Oh man, yeah. I got mine in Dec 2010 from Guitar Center and they pricematched a random site I found on my phone for $600. I was in a good mood, but then I got home and carried the 30lb box to my room to discover there was no dustcover 8{
Oh that's lame ... were they used? New ones should always come with the dustcover. Not that I ever use mine except for moving, but they're good to have around for that. And if you do switch out controllers a lot you can put them on when you're not using the decks to have some more surface space. You can get new ones for like $40 if you decide you really need them. But mostly when I'm not using my gear I just cover it all with a sheet.
Takisha Daugherty
Originally Posted by djproben
...The 5gs look nice but the differences are mostly minor - it's literally insane what they are selling them for now; more per deck what I paid for 2 decks brand new. But I guess if people are paying that much for them, they're worth that much.
Oh man, yeah. I got mine in Dec 2010 from Guitar Center and they pricematched a random site I found on my phone for $600. I was in a good mood, but then I got home and carried the 30lb box to my room to discover there was no dustcover 8{
Danae Dumler
The M5G I have is my most cherished possession. You won't regret it, just get some good styli!
This! yeah for sure go with the technics! Mine are MkIIs and they're at least 12 yrs old now and I never for a day regretted spending the money on them (I paid 400/each new at the time and would gladly do it again). The 5gs look nice but the differences are mostly minor - it's literally insane what they are selling them for now; more per deck what I paid for 2 decks brand new. But I guess if people are paying that much for them, they're worth that much. In the meantime you can probably still pick up a pair of older ones for under $500 if you watch the classifieds like a vulture.
Shan Bauerly
I hear ya. We all "like" 2000's, but are the buttons and screen worth 2.5x the money of a 3900? Especially if integrating with Traktor? Forgot to mention that ENGINE software on iPAD is also remarkable, if not quite ready.
Tatum Ansaldo
I've used the 3900s and I don't really have a bad word to say about them. Awesome vinyl emulation, adjustable torque, etc. Good suggestion. Personally I prefer 2000s for the massive screen and I prefer the feel of the buttons, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the denons.
Shan Bauerly
Denon SC-3900. And I love tables - but, if you don't get what DVS is about, and, you are even remotely inclined to CDJ, the platters on the 3900 are every bit as accurate and responsive as actual vinyl, and require "no care and feeding." If you ever have to haul your own gear... multiply this recommendation by 100.
Rena Estabrook
If you can get a pretty fair deal on a pair of any Technics, use them for awhile and see if you like it. If it's not for you, I doubt you would lose much or anything in resale.
Ferdinand Pintor
i believe you should get 1 cdj and 1 m5g
Shaniqua Tisa
Does the Rekordbox aspect of the CDJ2k interest you at all? You mentioned you like to beatmatch, but it seems you're leaning towards a DVS setup. Despite the sometimes buggy Rekordbox software, I love, love, love the idea. No CDs to scratch/destroy, just a jump drive (or your laptop hooked straight to the CDJs, a la Kaskade).

IMO, if you like to beatmatch by ear (as opposed to "beat-seeing by eye" which is what you do in SSL/TSP, depending on how you layout your laptop screen), a straight CDJ setup with Rekordbox or CDs (maybe not CDs, noting your aforementioned CD-scratching ability) might be of interest?

I only bring this up because this was my progression: Itch, TSP, SSL, and now straight CDJ2ks with Rekordbox. I spin 97.5% EDM with a bit of hiphop/reggae/whatever thrown in, so I can testify to the true versatility of the CDJs. They might not be as flexible when it comes to the circus tricks you can pull off with a NI S4, but mannnnnnn, are they fun.

To each their own and definitely do what ya like, but there's my humble take on it. Best of luck.
Masako Barcalow
Hey guys I have a similar question I'm struggling with. I'm trying to invest in Traktor Scratch Pro sometime in the future. I'd be using a Behringer DDM4000 and 2 CDJ 400s (right now I'm using crap Numark NDX400s, so I'll be using them with timecode CDs for the time being). I have never used vinyl before, and was wondering about the differences in the functionality of the program when it comes to vinyl vs. CDJs. I heard somewhere that TSP doesn't utilize a sync function or looping options. That doesn't really sound accurate, though. I utilize the loop function a lot, so I want to make sure I'd still be able to do that if I were to switch to vinyl with TSP2. I'm not against getting turntables, as I'd feel it would be a good learning challenge. Anyone used both with TSP2 and have opinions?
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Jumanji
I would go the turntable route over the CDJ route, but M5G turntables would be a huge waste of money if you are going to just be using them for control vinyl.

And I'm not saying that just because I don't like Technics turntables. The advantage of the higher end 1200 series turntables, is better sound quality. Sound quality is completely irrelevant if you are using a DVS.
I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference sound quality wise between a 1200 M5G and a 1200 Mk1 or 2. I'd say the difference is features.
Danae Dumler
Oh that's lame ... were they used? New ones should always come with the dustcover. Not that I ever use mine except for moving, but they're good to have around for that. And if you do switch out controllers a lot you can put them on when you're not using the decks to have some more surface space. You can get new ones for like $40 if you decide you really need them. But mostly when I'm not using my gear I just cover it all with a sheet.
Felipe Willia

Takisha Daugherty
Originally Posted by djproben
...The 5gs look nice but the differences are mostly minor - it's literally insane what they are selling them for now; more per deck what I paid for 2 decks brand new. But I guess if people are paying that much for them, they're worth that much.
Danae Dumler
The M5G I have is my most cherished possession. You won't regret it, just get some good styli!
This! yeah for sure go with the technics! Mine are MkIIs and they're at least 12 yrs old now and I never for a day regretted spending the money on them (I paid 400/each new at the time and would gladly do it again). The 5gs look nice but the differences are mostly minor - it's literally insane what they are selling them for now; more per deck what I paid for 2 decks brand new. But I guess if people are paying that much for them, they're worth that much. In the meantime you can probably still pick up a pair of older ones for under $500 if you watch the classifieds like a vulture.
Eloisa Biehle
lol no i don't. I want a 4 channel mixer with serato built in. i believe the rane 68 is the only mixer that will do this. I also don't want something outdated like the djm800 i already had one, liked it but want to try something new.
Betsy Orsillo
Are you just getting the highest end gear out there just cause? ... do u necessarily need the Rane 68? ... Its a great mixer and all but isn't it's #1 selling point is being able to link two DJs/laptops without disconnecting from serato. Unless you have the M5Gs with one laptop and then the MK3s with another laptop @ a gig (which would be badass if you did!).
Breanne Penge
I'd wait til after NAMM before I bought a new Rane mixer They may have something dope in store....and wasn't there a flaw in the 68's anyway...? I thought something was iffy in the build quality...
Eloisa Biehle
ok so here is my plan, Technics M5Gs, Rane Sixty Eight, and if i can find a good deal right now two cdj MK3s. Im 18 and yes, I'm buying all of this with my own money (not christmas money) I had my dream setup four months ago, two ted 1210s, djm800, jbl sound system. It took me three years to complete that setup but one day i just sold it.... Luckily i bought most of my stuff either on a deep guitar center discount or craigslist deals that i ended up making about $1200 off the deal and thats allowing me to buy a really nice setup. Just a little back story lol.
Audrey Pinda
If you plan on using a computer with your setup, I don't see a reason not to get the TT's. I believe DVS control is better suited with TT's than CDJ's, but that's my personal opinion. If you don't want to use a computer in your setup, then CDJ's would be the way to go.

I scratch CD's like it's my job. Just burning them and bringing them to my car. I don't believe I'd be able to function well if I had to use them for anything serious. Some folks are really good about not scratching them though, so whatever floats your boat.

Also, the HID with Serato is supposed to work better on CDJ's than with Traktor. I've read it, not tested it, but it's something I'd investigate more if you're going to go the CDJ route with Traktor or Serato.
Takisha Daugherty
Betsy Orsillo
i bought a fairly new set of m5gs in box with dicers, 2 shure needles, and a spare set of ortofon cartridges/stylis for $1500. i've been dying to own a pair of technics for the past 5 yrs or so but just stuck to my denon cdj 3500.

about 2 yrs ago you were able to find mk5s for $400/pair. i've been kicking my self for not picking a setup so i jumped on the m5g deal for $1500. a bit pricey but i have no regrets. ... reliability, condition, rarity, wow factor and the nestalgia feeling of playing my old records is worth it.
Osvaldo Newhall
Get a pair of used MK5. M5Gs are overrated in my opinion and brand new ones are way over priced since the Technics brand was discontinued and announced over 2 years ago. The extra pitch range is useless, unless you plan to play the vocals into chipmunks pitch.

Also I would recommend Traktor Scratch if you play EDM. More options, more effects, more fun.
Eloisa Biehle
thats what I'm leaning towards. now sera to or traktor? btw i like to beat match
Inez Marcinik
If you want to do any sort of turntablism then its most definately the m5g's
Nedra Fresneda
it means controlling traktor/serato with your turntables/cd players.
Eloisa Biehle
I'm sorry, DVS? digital vinyl system? i have no idea what dvs stands for lol
Natasha Garity
If your using DVS i believe technics will be better. It's kind of silly using CDJs with dvs.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy