Viewed some 2nd hand technics, need some help!

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Viewed some 2nd hand technics, need some help!Reply
Viewed some 2nd hand technics, need some help!
Posted on: 29.12.2012 by Precious Pequignot
Hey guys, i just viewed a pair of used Technic turntables, and i got some questions, wondered if u all could answer em.

1. One of the technics had a slow brake speed and seemed to hum as if being spun back when stopped. there was no issue with starting though. I've seen on youtube that the brake speed can be calibrated and fixed with a screwdriver on the main circuit board at the silver brake adjuster thing. So i assume that it is no issue?

2. The strobe patterns are spot on at 0% and show no erratic movements up or down. But the calibration dots for -3.3 and the others are quite off ( like -2% for -3.3). That can also be simply calibrated under the platter with a screwdriver on the blue pitch screw on the main board ya? So is it a minor issue?

3. The technics was repainted, so i cant see the original technics text on the btm left, but the pitch slider area and the mechanics holding the tone arm arm were black/resembled the technics 1210 mk2. The owner confirmed that they were 1200's but black, and not silver instead. Are there technics 1200 mk2s that are black? I thought that only 1210 mk2s were black in colour and that all 1200 mk2s are silver?

4. The last issue i have is with 1 of the turns (the same 1 with the slow brake speed) having a slightly dimmer strobe light compared to the other non faulty 1. And i inspected it during the day, so the difference was quite obvious. I couldnt find anything on this issue on google. Is this something I should be worried about b4 buying it? Will it affect anything?

Both turns were tested on DVS and there was sound on em. some pics:

http://imgur.com/HSpiN,UrD9B#0

this was after the braking was adjusted on the slower turntable, which is the 1st pic (left deck). the strobe light seemed to be brighter after adjustment. any1 can shed some light on this?

Thanks guys!

Im gonna view another pair of turns soon, some pics the owner sent me:

http://imgur.com/2DQlY

Which would u believe is btr? Both have been repainted.
Precious Pequignot
Originally Posted by HigherFi
Yes, you should be worried. And calibrating the pitch requires bottom case disassembly and a volt meter. Are you comfortable with that? Look up "viperfrank" on Youtube.
Thanks for the reply HigherFi, just wondering why should i be worried? Just wanna know the reason so i can make a better decision. Thank you!

I've seen the pitch calibrating videos, but I thought that removing the platter and adjusting the blue/silver pitch thing on the main circuit board would be enough? Isnt the removal of btm casing and the use of volt meter only for removing 2 zeropoints?

Thanks!
Precious Pequignot
Hey guys, i just viewed a pair of used Technic turntables, and i got some questions, wondered if u all could answer em.

1. One of the technics had a slow brake speed and seemed to hum as if being spun back when stopped. there was no issue with starting though. I've seen on youtube that the brake speed can be calibrated and fixed with a screwdriver on the main circuit board at the silver brake adjuster thing. So i assume that it is no issue?

2. The strobe patterns are spot on at 0% and show no erratic movements up or down. But the calibration dots for -3.3 and the others are quite off ( like -2% for -3.3). That can also be simply calibrated under the platter with a screwdriver on the blue pitch screw on the main board ya? So is it a minor issue?

3. The technics was repainted, so i cant see the original technics text on the btm left, but the pitch slider area and the mechanics holding the tone arm arm were black/resembled the technics 1210 mk2. The owner confirmed that they were 1200's but black, and not silver instead. Are there technics 1200 mk2s that are black? I thought that only 1210 mk2s were black in colour and that all 1200 mk2s are silver?

4. The last issue i have is with 1 of the turns (the same 1 with the slow brake speed) having a slightly dimmer strobe light compared to the other non faulty 1. And i inspected it during the day, so the difference was quite obvious. I couldnt find anything on this issue on google. Is this something I should be worried about b4 buying it? Will it affect anything?

Both turns were tested on DVS and there was sound on em. some pics:

http://imgur.com/HSpiN,UrD9B#0

this was after the braking was adjusted on the slower turntable, which is the 1st pic (left deck). the strobe light seemed to be brighter after adjustment. any1 can shed some light on this?

Thanks guys!

Im gonna view another pair of turns soon, some pics the owner sent me:

http://imgur.com/2DQlY

Which would u believe is btr? Both have been repainted.
Precious Pequignot
heh amazon quoted me 700 usd to ship a pair. after shipping and everything i could prolly buy brand new stanton st150s! shall hunt locally patiently. thx guys!
Federico Vilas
it's only about 300 euro to ship a set from TN....say you bought a set for US $1000 = $758 euro, + $300 shipping = $1058 euro = $1400 US dollars which considering how far Singapore is is still not a bad deal
Precious Pequignot
Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it.

Sad to say I lost both deals. Learnt alot from you guys though.

1st set was sold away as a set w mixer and ssl, only wanted the techs so i lost.
2nd set was too steep with a number of fixable but expensive problems that would add up alot.

Guess i'll have to look around again. Prolly months b4 i get a good deal here.

Thanks (:
Precious Pequignot
shipping is.. gonna be insane man. no go. haha. i was quoted about 150 usd to ship an original technics dustcover from sri lanka to singapore. Wouldnt wanna imagine shipping costs from US to where i stay. Esp given the size and weight of a 1200

Anyway the 2nd pair of silver techs pulled out from the sale. I found out it wasent a paint job but the original aluminium body sanded in one direction to give the look.

Might prolly go check out the 1st black pair of techs again and get em if the strobe light is ok.
Federico Vilas
I'd find a set in eBay from the USA from someone willing to ship... Too much for a owner refurbished set... I wouldn't give more the. $600 for either set
Romelia Stankard
Cosmetically at least the second set look nicer and whoever did them did a nice job painting them, and no dim light.
Shan Bauerly
I suppose that works... The 'rest is indexed, however. I'd try actually turning the screw a bit before twisting the arm rest, just far enough to clear the index notch in the part. It can be a brittle bit of plastic. Personally, I wouldn't count on removing anyone's finish and getting acceptable results, but you never know. Start with a mild solvent and work your way up to lacquer thinner. I've powder coated the decks that I have restored with excellent results. I like "wrinkle black" personally.
Precious Pequignot
Heh i'm waiting for replies on prices of parts. I believe it's definately possible to find em. but the prices are... expensive. donor table.. i wouldnt bank on it.

I've been trying to find 2nd hand techs for 2 months or so now. Only got 2 pairs of techs which i tot were in acceptable condition, which are these 2. I've seen on youtube to use a drill bit and plier to remove the tone arm rest. looks simple enough, so i guess its a small issue.

Is there anyway to restore a stained technic to its original colour? 5-6/10 for original cosmetic, so should be quite bad. I'm believeing of buying the black 1 and removing the grey paint and restoring the original black colour. Is this possible? Or is the only way to paint a new coat? But thats if i get over the dim strobe light issue.
Shan Bauerly
Ha, no easy answers for you. The tonearm rest is deceptively painful to replace. You need to remove the tonearm from the base, loosen the height adjustment ring from the tonearm and rotate it around a bit in order to get screwdriver access to the screw that secures that plastic clip. I'd consider either bending a #1 Philips screwdriver at a right angle so I didn't have to do surgery on it if that was the only reason for taking it apart. (or I guess you could always buy one...) I like the 44-7 carts for timecode, but that's only $65 USD or so per cart - and you will need another soon enough. I've never used dust covers (M3D.) My decks are home-based, so I just use a towel to cover the mixer and decks when not in use. I still have reservations about that strobe issue on the black deck. Could be a can of worms... I'd rather adjust pitch than chase down that strobe malfunction. How easy is it to get parts in Singapore? Any chance of getting a "donor" table for parts?
Precious Pequignot
Got it HigherFi! Thanks for the heads up.

I viewed the 2nd pair of decks today (silver 1s). The pitch is off from factory settings too.

The 1st (black) is cheaper (618 euro) w shure m44-7s mounted, but wo dustcover, and strobe light is dim.
The 2nd (silver) is more exp (741 euro) w hazy (dmged?) dustcover. But old gold stanton 500 catridges and 1 burnt out target light, and the tonearm rest/clips are spoilt.

Which technics would you go for?? Literally giving me a headache. Thanks!
Shan Bauerly
If the strobe lights are dim or dimming, it's a voltage regulator issue. At that point, you should be looking for a replacement main board.
For pitch, it's a toss up. You want both decks to be calibrated equally. Accuracy is only attained with a volt meter. Make sense?

Edit: It is possible that there is merely a failing connection if the strobe LEDs are intermittent, but I have not encountered that. The LEDs are also replaceable, however, I have not seen the strobes as the weak link. The target light is absolutely worth replacing with an LED, the center pitch and strobe.. meh... I believe those changes offer only esthetic returns.
Precious Pequignot
Originally Posted by HigherFi
Yes, you should be worried. And calibrating the pitch requires bottom case disassembly and a volt meter. Are you comfortable with that? Look up "viperfrank" on Youtube.
Thanks for the reply HigherFi, just wondering why should i be worried? Just wanna know the reason so i can make a better decision. Thank you!

I've seen the pitch calibrating videos, but I thought that removing the platter and adjusting the blue/silver pitch thing on the main circuit board would be enough? Isnt the removal of btm casing and the use of volt meter only for removing 2 zeropoints?

Thanks!
Shan Bauerly
Precious Pequignot
Does any1 know any thing on this issue of dim strobe light?

"4. The last issue i have is with 1 of the turns (the same 1 with the slow brake speed) having a slightly dimmer strobe light compared to the other non faulty 1. And i inspected it during the day, so the difference was quite obvious. I couldnt find anything on this issue on google. Is this something I should be worried about b4 buying it? Will it affect anything?"

I found this section on "Xonetacular's guide and general tips for buying second hand Technics 1200s"

http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=47069

saying that, "make sure all the leds stay steadily lit and don't dim or flicker at all indicating a power problem (usually means the drive IC needs to be replaced)."

should i b worried?
Precious Pequignot
the guy said that the original cosmetic on the btm for the black is 5 or 6 out of 10 though.

is it possible to remove the paint and refurbish it back to black (original colour)?
Janella Gripe
I just mean it's the same color as the original color (1200=silver and 1210=black). If you ever want to resell them, it's more easy when they have the original color.

I would go for the first ones and give them their original color back
Precious Pequignot
What do u mean by the right colour? The 2nd pair has also been repainted to 'brush steel' as said by e owner.

The 1st (black) is cheaper (618 euro) w shure m44-7s mounted, but wo dustcover.
The 2nd (silver) is more exp (741 euro) w dustcover. But old gold stanton 500 catridges and 1 burnt out target light

The cost of a new m44 7 catridge here is about 89 euro, converted for u guys for convenience

Which would b a btr choice? Both lack 7" adaptors.

Also is the dim strobe light on 1 of the decks on the 1st 1 a big issue?

Much appreciated!
Janella Gripe
The breakspeed, pitch-range, zero-position is all adjustable on the technics, so that's no issue. Normally, like you said, the 1210 has all black parts and the 1200 all silver. The first repainted one is clearly a 1210.

Wich one is better? It all depends on the price they are asking, if the first ones (black) are a lot cheaper I would take them instead of the other expensive ones. Repainting a technics isn't that hard, so you can give it back it's original color and calibrating them right.

If the price difference is under €40 I would choose the silver technics. They are in the right color so you are sure you have nearly new (optical) turntables.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy