What are good (cheap) turntables?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: What are good (cheap) turntables?Reply
What are good (cheap) turntables?
Posted on: 02.01.2013 by Brooke Cary
Hi everyone,

For New Years I decided to treat myself to a new mixer: the DJM-T1. This is my first actual mixer (and turntable) setup and now I need to pick up some turntables.
I'm wondering what are the best turntables that I can get for around $100 each? I plan on upgrading in the future, but as I just dropped $700 on the mixer, I don't really want to spend too much more.
I'm assuming that most turntables in this price range will be belt-driven so I'm also wondering if this will be a significant disadvantage to someone just starting on vinyl. I don't see the startup lag to be a big problem since I'll be using the record on slipmats but I really don't understand vinyl too well.

All help is appreciated! Thank you and Happy New Year!
Ming Devis
Originally Posted by MRG12EG
st8 150's arnt cheap used! (great deck though)

unless your going super cheap.. (sub
Ming Devis

Ming Devis

Ming Devis

Ming Devis

Ming Devis

Ming Devis

Ming Devis

Ming Devis

Ming Devis

Jeffrey Akinsanya

Lashawn Maycock
Originally Posted by jaredweiss
Hi everyone,

For New Years I decided to treat myself to a new mixer: the DJM-T1. This is my first actual mixer (and turntable) setup and now I need to pick up some turntables.
I'm wondering what are the best turntables that I can get for around $100 each? I plan on upgrading in the future, but as I just dropped $700 on the mixer, I don't really want to spend too much more.
I'm assuming that most turntables in this price range will be belt-driven so I'm also wondering if this will be a significant disadvantage to someone just starting on vinyl. I don't see the startup lag to be a big problem since I'll be using the record on slipmats but I really don't understand vinyl too well.

Welcome to the world of vinyl

I would have probably spent the money the other way around IMHO i.e. spend on the TT's and just get a cheap 2 ch mixer, especially if you're just starting out on vinyl. However I won't criticise as you're after advice. As other have suggested, watch various auction/for sale sites and hope to pick up a bargain or be prepared to buy some TT's which require overhaul. If you can I would recommend Technics however any direct drive TT will suffice really. I started on belt drive decks many moons ago and there is a big difference in how they feel compared to direct drive.
Brooke Cary
Hi everyone,

Federico Vilas
I agree, with DVS you can control both sides with one ttable... I'd get one 1200 until you can afford another one BUT vestax pdx are also great options and super cheap to buy now and HARD TO SELL for more then $300/pair
Teodora Hancharik
Vestax PDX 2000's
Rena Estabrook
Since $400 for the Audio Technica 1240 isn't an option, I would swoop on the M3D for $100.
Brooke Cary
Thanks for all the advice. I checked out craigslist and found some deals which look pretty good. I found one pretty beat up Technics SL-1200M3D for 100 but it still works well enough to use. I also found two Numark TT1 pros for $150 (total) two TT200s for $200 (total), or two TT-1520s for $200 (total).
I'm really new to this so I'm not sure if any of these are worth getting. I'm just looking to buy the turntables to get through a gig I have with my band that requires some scratching. I just bought a new computer and the mixer and I don't want to keep spending tons of money. In the future I'm definitely going to upgrade to better decks and probably give these to a friend.
Ming Devis

Aleta Jevtic
With today's super OEM turntables I can't recommend used Technics especially when the prices for "used" tables are so ridiculous. I rather pay $400 for new table than spend $300 - $500 for a used Technic.

All these are solid tables.

DJ Tech Sl-1300

For cheap table you can find a used Stanton T 90.
This is a review by friend he made years ago of the Stanton T 60. The T.90 is better direct drive model so as you can see you can mix and somewhat scratch with T60 you can definitely mix scratch with the T90.
Maricruz Felter
HighTop makes a good point. If you're using Traktor, you can get by with a single table. I did this for a couple of months until I purchased a 2nd table. It's actually really simple, you just need 2 MIDI buttons. I assigned one button to select Deck A in relative mode, and another to select deck B in relative mode. Switching the signal to either deck is as simple as pressing the button. Super easy and a way for you to at least get one nice table to practice with until you can afford the 2nd. As long as you're just doing simple mixing this will work plenty fine. If you're scratching or doing beat juggling, it will be pretty cumbersome.
Rena Estabrook
If the DJM-T1 has Internal Mode like the Rane TTM-57SL, you can actually get by without turntables. If your mixer supports Instant Doubles, you can get by with just one turntable. I obviously know nothing about Traktor or Pioneer.
Desirae Farnes
Used Technics are the way to go. I dropped ~ $500 on a pair off eBay back in '05 and they're still with me today. If you find a used pair, I'd buy them regardless of whether it's a little out of your range or not. If these are something you're going to upgrade to eventually, you're better off dropping the money on them in the present as opposed to spending $200-300 on some cheapies and then buying Technics later down the road. Going the cheap route initially has, for me, been more costly than spending more than I'd want to go with a more affordable alternative. I just upgraded to a MacBook Pro after suffering several failures with cheaper PC options and I honestly wish I hadn't been so cheap. I've easily wasted the price of a MBP if not more, over the years going with more affordable PCs. But it's lead to a lot of hassle and stress from dealing with transfers to new machines and worrying about laptop crashes during performances. Maybe not the exact example that you're dealing with, but I believe it's worth considering. Better to pay money up front for something that works and will hold its value longer, IMO.
Maricruz Felter
belt driven will not work the way you want it to, you need to get direct drive for DJ'ing. There's an old addage "buy cheap, buy twice". If you're planning to upgrade later, you should just save now and get the tables you want versus buying cheap tables now, selling them at a loss, then spending more money to buy the tables you really want. If you're super patient, you can find Technics 1200's for around $200-$250 per deck. Probably find Stanton 92's a little cheaper. STR8-150's won't be much cheaper than Technics in my experience.
Jeffrey Akinsanya

Random X
True, T.62s are not that awesome as far as I heard the stories correctly. The 90s and higher are supposed to be way better.
I still have a sweetspot for the discontinued Stanton T.120C.
Ming Devis
second hand str8 150's
Tegan Ruport
For $200 look out for the Gemini PT series (1000, 2000, 2100, 2400), said it on here before they are a good stable deck and can be pick up for next to nothing these days. Also the older Stanton models STR8 - 80 & STR8-100 are a good starter deck too.
Lashawn Maycock
Originally Posted by jaredweiss
Hi everyone,

Welcome to the world of vinyl

I would have probably spent the money the other way around IMHO i.e. spend on the TT's and just get a cheap 2 ch mixer, especially if you're just starting out on vinyl. However I won't criticise as you're after advice. As other have suggested, watch various auction/for sale sites and hope to pick up a bargain or be prepared to buy some TT's which require overhaul. If you can I would recommend Technics however any direct drive TT will suffice really. I started on belt drive decks many moons ago and there is a big difference in how they feel compared to direct drive.
Halley Wurzer
With that price range, just rape craigslist till you find something useable. You really should look for direct-drive tables; you're going to have to find a good deal to get anything remotely decent. When I was looking for technics a few years ago, I watched craigslist like a hawk. Got a pair of great M3Ds with ortofon cartridges for $350.
Rena Estabrook
My cousin found a pair of used Stanton T.62 w/ one working needle for under $180 on Craigslist.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy