cdj 800 mk1 vs mk2,what is the difference?.

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: cdj 800 mk1 vs mk2,what is the difference?.Reply
cdj 800 mk1 vs mk2,what is the difference?.
Posted on: 23.03.2012 by Kandy Ahdoot
Looking for some cdjs and have been offered some MK1's at a really good price and could do with some for home use

apart from playing mp3 cd's and a slightly different design is there any difference?

would be using them with tsp & serato
Iluminada Costakis
Originally Posted by oranJe
* When cueing back and forth (vinyl mode) to release, they behave differently. MK2 added a 'feature' where you have to press play for the track to continue playing (and not go back to cue), whereas MK1 behaves like vinyl, you just release. In short: MK1 had it right.
most important feature. You just jogwheel to your cue point, hit cue, and its cocked and loaded. You can walk away, and come back if you want. It's still ready to go. As soon as you start scratching its like you already hit play, but the play button doesn't have to be pressed. No other player/software has this feature. On any other player, or controller software, you have to hit play early to get it to be in playing mode and hold the jog wheel down the whole time until that moment when you're ready to release. This is why I'm tryin to find some MK1-CDJ 800s.
Babette Poppiti
Originally Posted by Luconia
i know, but at least now we have another option in the form of Denon & i'm seriously considering them...too bad those are not sold in my country.

as for managing my tracks...i've been doing it for the last 6 years even without having a CDJ to start with. I have tried Recordbox, it's good especially to set up the playlist in a usb drive...another strong reason for new comers to cd decks to get the latest recordbox compatible models. and IMO only 900/2000 is worth looking though...
couldn't agree more, if you're budget stretches to the CDJ-900/2000, then it has to be done. The Denon Sc-2900/3900 are also strong options these days, although have got some way to go in the reputation stakes yet.

if your budget doesn't stretch, like me, i went for the CDJ-350, and am still more than happy with it - the cool beat divide/looping feature that the others don't have is brill on top of RekordBox too.

Originally Posted by DJ JesC
I had a pair of 800s MK1, Im more of a wiki-wiki dj and did enjoy the jogwheels and it almost felt like playing on 1200s, but if ur a untz untz utnz dj, i would go with a different model.
loving the descriptions of DJ style there Jesc!
Emely Metz
Originally Posted by EquipmentDJCom
however, i'm with the majority on here, you should defo look to get the nearest priced newer cdj with rekordbox support - brings a whole new level to organising your music! (no more writing on cds / printing tracklists etc!)
i know, but at least now we have another option in the form of Denon & i'm seriously considering them...too bad those are not sold in my country.

as for managing my tracks...i've been doing it for the last 6 years even without having a CDJ to start with. I have tried Recordbox, it's good especially to set up the playlist in a usb drive...another strong reason for new comers to cd decks to get the latest recordbox compatible models. and IMO only 900/2000 is worth looking though...
Emely Metz
I still keep them around, can't sell them..
May i know any reason for this?
I've been contemplating of upgrading to the 900s or 2000s....but still not sure if i really really really really need that upgrade (one reason only, usb & link feature) else i'm fine with my 800mk2, they still work just fine, as good as their very 1st day.
Emely Metz
Originally Posted by Era 7
the MK2 has:

- improved hogwheel / now uses jogwheel of the CDJ-1000MK2
- slightly better center display
- has support for CD-text
- uses dots instead of the old digital numbers for the time display

apart from that it is the same as the MK1

here is a full writeup on it's features: http://www.djresource.eu/Topics/stor...r-CDJ-800-MK2/

but from owning the MK1s and having tried the MK2s i can say that the jogwheel alone is worth getting the MK2s over the MK1s.
wow how time flies, it's been 6 years since the 800mk2 debut in 2006...and mine is almost 5 years old.
hopefully it can stay classic for a while & be greatly remembered
Kandy Ahdoot
Looking for some cdjs and have been offered some MK1's at a really good price and could do with some for home use

apart from playing mp3 cd's and a slightly different design is there any difference?

would be using them with tsp & serato
Babette Poppiti
very interesting and solid argument for the CDJ800 Mk1 there then....that's the first time I've heard people prefer that model...
Iluminada Costakis
* When cueing back and forth (vinyl mode) to release, they behave differently. MK2 added a 'feature' where you have to press play for the track to continue playing (and not go back to cue), whereas MK1 behaves like vinyl, you just release. In short: MK1 had it right.
most important feature. You just jogwheel to your cue point, hit cue, and its cocked and loaded. You can walk away, and come back if you want. It's still ready to go. As soon as you start scratching its like you already hit play, but the play button doesn't have to be pressed. No other player/software has this feature. On any other player, or controller software, you have to hit play early to get it to be in playing mode and hold the jog wheel down the whole time until that moment when you're ready to release. This is why I'm tryin to find some MK1-CDJ 800s.
Babette Poppiti
Originally Posted by Luconia

couldn't agree more, if you're budget stretches to the CDJ-900/2000, then it has to be done. The Denon Sc-2900/3900 are also strong options these days, although have got some way to go in the reputation stakes yet.

if your budget doesn't stretch, like me, i went for the CDJ-350, and am still more than happy with it - the cool beat divide/looping feature that the others don't have is brill on top of RekordBox too.

Originally Posted by DJ JesC
I had a pair of 800s MK1, Im more of a wiki-wiki dj and did enjoy the jogwheels and it almost felt like playing on 1200s, but if ur a untz untz utnz dj, i would go with a different model.
loving the descriptions of DJ style there Jesc!
Cristian Carmona
Teresia Janusch
im still rocking my 800mk1's, they havent missed a beat, and i now use them with TSP...havent felt the need to upgrade them, though i upgraded my mixer
Emely Metz
Originally Posted by EquipmentDJCom
however, i'm with the majority on here, you should defo look to get the nearest priced newer cdj with rekordbox support - brings a whole new level to organising your music! (no more writing on cds / printing tracklists etc!)

Babette Poppiti
having used both in my past and as a cdj-800mk2 owner for 5yrs plus, i can say that the mk2's are far better. the biggest difference for me is the improved jog wheel upto cdj-1000 standard. the jog on the mk1 was quite horrific at times, resulted in a few train wrecked mixes as a pure result of that (just touching to try and keep it in sent it out).

Emely Metz
^^ agreed, cant find a fault in them....simple machine, works great in whatever they do as expected, no maintenance needed (although i'm amazed with the components used to build this thing, looks pretty cheap in the inside...opened them many times)
Essie Rutar
mainly because I use them mostly as glorified controllers, they do not break and I'm not rich.
Emely Metz
I still keep them around, can't sell them..
May i know any reason for this?
I've been contemplating of upgrading to the 900s or 2000s....but still not sure if i really really really really need that upgrade (one reason only, usb & link feature) else i'm fine with my 800mk2, they still work just fine, as good as their very 1st day.
Essie Rutar
I got mine for almost 8 years now, they still work as well as the first day I got them!

Some points:
* Jog wheel is changed to that of the cdj1000, some people (notably scratchers) actually prefer the old one, it's much more light/loose
* Display is changed, it's brighter and more 'digital looking'. as above, I prefer the MK1 version
* cd text support (annoyingly omitted in MK1), mp3 support (mostly useless)
* MK2 has a bigger buffer, and doesn't suffer from the possible lag you sometimes get with the 'first spinback' in the MK1. Most notable fix imo.

I still keep them around, can't sell them.. they also work perfect with timecode CDs. MK2 upgrade was mainly for mp3. If the price is right - highly recommended
Emely Metz
Originally Posted by Era 7
the MK2 has:

here is a full writeup on it's features: http://www.djresource.eu/Topics/stor...r-CDJ-800-MK2/

but from owning the MK1s and having tried the MK2s i can say that the jogwheel alone is worth getting the MK2s over the MK1s.
wow how time flies, it's been 6 years since the 800mk2 debut in 2006...and mine is almost 5 years old.
hopefully it can stay classic for a while & be greatly remembered
Kandy Ahdoot
thats cool cheers guys.

DVS is just an option i am trying to break away from the laptop at the moment so the cdjs would mainly be used on there own with dvs as an option since i already own this set up,but believe i will go with the mk2's as got another deal sorted.

Would love some 900's or 2000's but cant justifie them for home use just yet my brother did have the 850's and i loved them
Tesha Freudenstein
the MK2 has:

Audrey Pinda
Honestly if you're going to be using a DVS with CDJ's, it's worthwhile to get some that work natively in HID. CDJ-400's, 350's, 850's and up. You'll be able to use the timecode CD, but I see it as clunkier than just using CD's.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm of the opinion that DVS use (with a computer) is best suited for turntables or controllers, and that if you're going to use CDJ's, you might as well just only use CD's because honestly, it's a more fluid setup and you don't have to rely on a computer.

But best of luck, if it's a good enough deal I'd jump on em and see what happens.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy