Organising your tracks on CDs

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Organising your tracks on CDsReply
Organising your tracks on CDs
Posted on: 08.01.2013 by Latina Samon
Seen a few threads on the best ways to organise files and the like, couldn't find anything on CDs although I didn't really know what to search. Will be receiving my first cdjs shortly and was wondering how other people organise theirs?
My original thought was to do it similarly to my files, with them being rated for intensity. Then burning two of each one in case I wanna play a track that's on the same CD.
Alice Kanning
Wow man! Looks great! The way you show the breakdown wouldn't be quite the system for me, but I can imagine it works great!

Are the letters big enough for you too read while spinning? Because when i was prototyping some formats, most of the time my font was too small! Now I use Calibri 13 for the song name, Calibri 11 for the remix and Calibri 11 for the artist.

This is the way I have it right now (btw, my CD's are sorted by genre as you can see in the box in the upperleft.

Untitled.jpg
Guadalupe Camat
Originally Posted by Risc12
Could you maybe post a picture of the cover you use? I'm very interested in the way you show the breakdown of the structure!
untitled.JPG

This is what one of my more recent covers looks like. First column is track number, second is BPM, third is Key, Fourth is genre (House (Funky), MainroomHouse, ElectroHouse)) and the last column contains structure. It's a goofy system I put together but it essentially corresponds to the cue points I set.

First track as an example:
1. at 30s you have a break which lasts 30 seconds.
-cue point-
2. followed by a 30 second chorus
-cue point-
3. followed by a 1 minute break (notice the underline?)
-cue point-
4. followed by another 30 second chorus
-cue point-
5. followed by a 30 minute outro that "E"nds abruptly (with a big crash in this case).

I'm sure some will believe it's a silly system but I like it and it works for me. It helps me keep track of the huge number of songs, and large turnover, that I mix with (I can't memorize them all). Takes me about an hour to go through a full CD and set this up.

Hope this helps.
Alice Kanning
Originally Posted by Ernie Sega
That's what I do. Two copies of each CD. Each CD is full of music. CD cover includes BPM, Key, Intensity/Genre and even a quick breakdown of the track structure.
Could you maybe post a picture of the cover you use? I'm very interested in the way you show the breakdown of the structure!
Latina Samon
Seen a few threads on the best ways to organise files and the like, couldn't find anything on CDs although I didn't really know what to search. Will be receiving my first cdjs shortly and was wondering how other people organise theirs?
My original thought was to do it similarly to my files, with them being rated for intensity. Then burning two of each one in case I wanna play a track that's on the same CD.
Augustine Mitzen
i used to do full cds, no doubles, bangers first, the mid-kind of tunes in the middle of the cd and more eyes down stuff as the last tracks on CD.

I burn max 8-9 tracks per cd now, in no specific order, as it kinda reduces the 'i can't play it because it's on the same cd factor' and i was having troubles finding the right CD in the wallet sometimes, as i would miss the track in the list as there was another 15 track names.
I try and burn tracks i would probably never play together at one CD.

For the tracklists, i just write down the track names on a piece of paper and label the CD with a number/letter
Dione Haimes
5 tunes per cd,
per genre

i.e electro house, tech house, prog house, bosh trance, euphoric trance, hardstyle, bosh techno
Latina Samon
I own 800s hence why I use CDs. I've been just putting about 10 tracks on each and writing on the CD itself. At the moment everything is fairly random because I don't see the point in having to burn a whole new CD because you've got one new one in the same key or whatever. I'll probably make some with 'themes' when I get out to Ibiza.
Chandra Lean
you also can't rely on USB, my RMP-3's USB browsing is mega shitty. "Completely flat"
Shan Bauerly
Lol.
Alice Kanning
My primery media is USB! But I am not yet in a position where I can always demand fucking CDJ-2000's with a DJM-900 when I play out! So sometimes I take my own stuff, but I also keep my CD-wallet up to date in case there are no CDJ-2000's even though that was the deal. I am not going bitch-mode and say: Oh well, then i don't play at all.
Shan Bauerly
Why are you not using USB or ext drive? When I was using CDs, I simply went by key. Then I had a "no brainer" disc with everything that was remotely identifiable as a dance floor "hit." I mean, for a 2 hour set, I didn't need to choose from 10,000 tracks.
Alice Kanning
Wow man! Looks great! The way you show the breakdown wouldn't be quite the system for me, but I can imagine it works great!

Are the letters big enough for you too read while spinning? Because when i was prototyping some formats, most of the time my font was too small! Now I use Calibri 13 for the song name, Calibri 11 for the remix and Calibri 11 for the artist.

This is the way I have it right now (btw, my CD's are sorted by genre as you can see in the box in the upperleft.

Untitled.jpg
Guadalupe Camat
Originally Posted by Risc12
untitled.JPG

This is what one of my more recent covers looks like. First column is track number, second is BPM, third is Key, Fourth is genre (House (Funky), MainroomHouse, ElectroHouse)) and the last column contains structure. It's a goofy system I put together but it essentially corresponds to the cue points I set.

First track as an example:
1. at 30s you have a break which lasts 30 seconds.
-cue point-
2. followed by a 30 second chorus
-cue point-
3. followed by a 1 minute break (notice the underline?)
-cue point-
4. followed by another 30 second chorus
-cue point-
5. followed by a 30 minute outro that "E"nds abruptly (with a big crash in this case).

I'm sure some will believe it's a silly system but I like it and it works for me. It helps me keep track of the huge number of songs, and large turnover, that I mix with (I can't memorize them all). Takes me about an hour to go through a full CD and set this up.

Hope this helps.
Alice Kanning
Oh btw, I also burn everything twice, sorted by genre, and on the CD itself it's sorted by trackname (not by artist) and I also print the BPM on it because in the heat I would like to be able to quickly put the tempo-fader on the right place!
Alice Kanning
Originally Posted by Ernie Sega
That's what I do. Two copies of each CD. Each CD is full of music. CD cover includes BPM, Key, Intensity/Genre and even a quick breakdown of the track structure.
Guadalupe Camat

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy