Coffins or Individual Cases for flights??

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Coffins or Individual Cases for flights??Reply
Coffins or Individual Cases for flights??
Posted on: 25.02.2013 by Mai Easling
Hey guys so Im about to upgrade to the Kontrol Z2 and find myself looking at cases right now.
Heres the problem, I do see myself flying from state to state DJing at places, tho I'm not sure if I should cop me a coffin or individual cases for my TT...? The cost for traveling flight is more with a coffin I'm assuming but I believe it's saver, than individually packing my gear in 3 seperate cases. Right? Just a little confused right now on what to get.

What do you guys use or what would you use if your traveling via flight?
Claire Auyeung
If you're only bringing decks and a mixer, go for flexibility and use individual cases.
There are times you just need your mixer or another combo, then you need a separate case anyway.

But a big case has many advantages too:
From a DJ perspective it's very nice to get rid of all your cables and have a static all-in-1 setup.
Your booth will always be exactly the same wherever you play. Just remove the lid, plug in power and go.
If your focus is on going mobile and you're gonna bring other gear like speakers and amps too, go for big.

It's the fasted way to setup, and a safe way to transport. You don't lose a 4 foot case that easy.
Big cases also do well as DJ furniture at home.

A 10" mixer plus 2 turntables (even in battle style) is at least 4 feet, not easy to transport without a fold-able trolley.
You also need a separate stand for your laptop, maybe a stand for the case itself too. That might add up to your luggage.
Setups can change in the future, that big case might become just a bit too much.

8008690647_e3a347fa98.jpg
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by hest
First of all I don't see why you would bring your own gear with you to gigs in different states and secondly, get individual cases because a coffin with 2 TTs and a mixer will kill your back!
This!

I have a coffin and its a bitch to carry alone and is HEAVY!

I would say individual cases, as it is easier to work with.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by JAIbrand
Hey guys so Im about to upgrade to the Kontrol Z2 and find myself looking at cases right now.
Heres the problem, I do see myself flying from state to state DJing at places, tho I'm not sure if I should cop me a coffin or individual cases for my TT...? The cost for traveling flight is more with a coffin I'm assuming but I believe it's saver, than individually packing my gear in 3 seperate cases. Right? Just a little confused right now on what to get.

I have a big coffin for my Z2 and 1200s which rolls.

It's expensive to fly with, sure, but venues ought to have turntables.

I assume that you are NOT currently flying around for gigs. You need to put the turntables on your rider.
Mai Easling

Rena Estabrook
I like coffins. I'd usually have a buddy and a truck/suv. If not, cases.
Danae Dumler
Don't get coffins until you're good enough to be able to hire minions to carry it for you. By that point, turntables will be on your riders anyway.

But seriously, what everyone else said - don't travel with your turntables, there's no point. For gigging around town, go for individual cases for sure. Coffins really shouldn't be carried by one person.
Verline Sura
i have found individuals to be best mostly. more flexibility.
Emelina Chillson
Re-write your contract to require tt's or cdj's and get a case just for your mixer. By the time you fork out the cash for the extra weight per flight, you could easily rent gear in any city across the states. These are all things that should be discussed between your agent and the event promoter or venue gm. IMHO I couldnt stand my coffin. It is great for moving, but spends most of its time in my closet. Way easier to use modular cases.
Reda Holdsworth
Digging the orange timecode...
Claire Auyeung
If you're only bringing decks and a mixer, go for flexibility and use individual cases.
There are times you just need your mixer or another combo, then you need a separate case anyway.

But a big case has many advantages too:
From a DJ perspective it's very nice to get rid of all your cables and have a static all-in-1 setup.
Your booth will always be exactly the same wherever you play. Just remove the lid, plug in power and go.
If your focus is on going mobile and you're gonna bring other gear like speakers and amps too, go for big.

It's the fasted way to setup, and a safe way to transport. You don't lose a 4 foot case that easy.
Big cases also do well as DJ furniture at home.

A 10" mixer plus 2 turntables (even in battle style) is at least 4 feet, not easy to transport without a fold-able trolley.
You also need a separate stand for your laptop, maybe a stand for the case itself too. That might add up to your luggage.
Setups can change in the future, that big case might become just a bit too much.

8008690647_e3a347fa98.jpg
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by hest
First of all I don't see why you would bring your own gear with you to gigs in different states and secondly, get individual cases because a coffin with 2 TTs and a mixer will kill your back!
This!

I have a coffin and its a bitch to carry alone and is HEAVY!

I would say individual cases, as it is easier to work with.
Federico Vilas
I have separate cases and a folding dolly... easier to transport in a regular car is separate... I would lug my gear around from state to state though unless I was getting PAID...most venues have 1200s or cdjs already
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by JAIbrand

I have a big coffin for my Z2 and 1200s which rolls.

It's expensive to fly with, sure, but venues ought to have turntables.

I assume that you are NOT currently flying around for gigs. You need to put the turntables on your rider.
Arie Kersjes

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy