Filter EQ Good or Bad?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Filter EQ Good or Bad?Reply
Filter EQ Good or Bad?
Posted on: 29.03.2013 by Lana Akey
Hey everyone I recently got the Xone DB2 (Absolutely love it! Best choice in gear I've ever made!) I've been messing around with the different types of filters available on the unit (Isolator, Classic EQ, Filter). I've been trying out the filter EQ and am loving the effect it gives out and makes it sound so natural. I love using the filter mode but my question is do you all believe that using the filter mode for an extended period will put me at a disadvantage if I go to a club and play on their mixers? Any other DB2 or DB4 users have any input?
Lana Akey
Hey everyone I recently got the Xone DB2 (Absolutely love it! Best choice in gear I've ever made!) I've been messing around with the different types of filters available on the unit (Isolator, Classic EQ, Filter). I've been trying out the filter EQ and am loving the effect it gives out and makes it sound so natural. I love using the filter mode but my question is do you all believe that using the filter mode for an extended period will put me at a disadvantage if I go to a club and play on their mixers? Any other DB2 or DB4 users have any input?
Lana Akey
Thanks for the response. Yea it's nice that the mixer offers different settings but for now I'll just play it safe with the classic, still sounds pretty good anyways.

By the way I don't feel like being that guy that starts a new thread everytime they have a question so if you don't mind I have one other.

I used to use Traktor and it would auto set my gains. I'm currently skipping to the peak of the track and setting my gain so that it hovers around 0db for the channel. But I know that some people just turn the gain down on the incoming track drastically and after they bring the fader all the way up they adjust the gain to fit properly. Which do you suggest? I do the first one but I'm believeing that this other way would be more subtle, just wondering if you have another 2 cents to give

Thanks again!
Delila Vandommelen
This applies generally to anyone who mixes with the filters on any Xone, really.
I've used filters since I started more than 8 years back, at first in Traktor then since almost two years, on my Xone 42 and I would much rather play a gig with any full scale Xone for sure.
As you've pointed out we can't always get that

DJM 800+ color FX filters can work but are way over the top, so I'll just use them for accents, never for blending. Especially if the soundsystem is too harsh !
I can just fall back to using the full kill EQ for (relatively) precise blending, but a djm 600 or worse, a 500 ? Or anything without full kill eqs really ? It sure is annoying when the minimum amount of sound you're letting through is too much, yet - you'll adjust your mixing to it. More immediate because you can't have subtle.

Play more in classic mode without killing each band completely, every now and then. For me that means making quicker, more obvious mixes, and I find it's a good thing for improving my versatility.

my 2c

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy