CDJ advice

CDJ advice
Posted on: 27.03.2013 by Odis Poore
Hey guys,

I'm seeking some advice. I have a pair of Pioneer CDJ 800MK2's. They are about 4years old. Moderate / regular usage. Only one repair about a year ago which was just a fuse to the LED's,

They have both stopped working. They no longer read CD's. Upon insertion, there is a slight grinding mechanism noise followed by an error message E-8301 ... which points to a laser issue.

I've been quoted $370 for new parts and labor to fix them both. I am a working DJ and need reliability.

Based upon this info.... what would you guys suggest? Pay the repairs, invest in a used pair (obviously risking wear and tear), or bite it and buy new??

Any help would be great... Thanks! - Tom.
Odis Poore
Originally Posted by makar1
If you use them regularly you might want to switch to CDJs that support USB sticks or SD cards as they're much less likely to go wrong than an optical drive, and it also gives you several options for backup. You'd also gain lots of features from a more up to date device.

But $370 doesn't sound too bad for a full repair on both. Keep an eye on the Pioneer Refurbished store if you want to buy used gear without so much risk:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/Specials
Thanks, man.

In that case, what device(s) would you recommend for a DJ playing many diverse styles, and BPM's... well blended mixes, scratching capability?
(Without veering too close to the 'cheating dj' stuff!!)
Odis Poore
Hey guys,

I'm seeking some advice. I have a pair of Pioneer CDJ 800MK2's. They are about 4years old. Moderate / regular usage. Only one repair about a year ago which was just a fuse to the LED's,

They have both stopped working. They no longer read CD's. Upon insertion, there is a slight grinding mechanism noise followed by an error message E-8301 ... which points to a laser issue.

I've been quoted $370 for new parts and labor to fix them both. I am a working DJ and need reliability.

Based upon this info.... what would you guys suggest? Pay the repairs, invest in a used pair (obviously risking wear and tear), or bite it and buy new??

Any help would be great... Thanks! - Tom.
Odis Poore
Originally Posted by makar1
If you use them regularly you might want to switch to CDJs that support USB sticks or SD cards as they're much less likely to go wrong than an optical drive, and it also gives you several options for backup. You'd also gain lots of features from a more up to date device.

But $370 doesn't sound too bad for a full repair on both. Keep an eye on the Pioneer Refurbished store if you want to buy used gear without so much risk:

Thanks, man.

In that case, what device(s) would you recommend for a DJ playing many diverse styles, and BPM's... well blended mixes, scratching capability?
(Without veering too close to the 'cheating dj' stuff!!)
Alphonso Deitchman
Might just be the 2000 and 2000 Nexus that take SD cards for music files.
Joya Heiberg
[QUOTE=makar1;600052]If you use them regularly you might want to switch to CDJs that support USB sticks or SD cards as they're much less likely to go wrong than an optical drive, and it also gives you several options for backup. You'd also gain lots of features from a more up to date device.

Aside from CDJ 2000s, what other players support SD cards, btw?
Alphonso Deitchman

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy