CDJs and USB hub

CDJs and USB hub
Posted on: 23.04.2013 by Emilia Dielmann
How well do CDJ 900/2000 respond in HID mode connected to a USB hub? Reason I'm asking , Like to use my X1 along with the cdjs. I have a MBA with only 2 USB ports.
Maisie Davidovic
Originally Posted by makar1
Very strange. Have you checked the HID setting in the CDJ menu and set it to "Advanced"? What Traktor/CDJ firmware versions are you on? I'm using 2.6.1 and 4.11 respectively and everything works fine.

Also if unplugging the CDJs doesn't affect the audio you could easily connect it to the next Traktor setup without having to use a CD surely?
That was the first thing I did during setup. Because last time when music was playing and I switched one of them to advance mode it cut the sound for a quick second.

I forgot to check what version.
Maisie Davidovic
Originally Posted by Samui
load your 1st track via cd/usb and then just set up your stuff and then continue with your set in traktor although the 1st mix has to be manual .
No problem there.....last time I just had an issue unlinking traktor from the CDJ.
Maisie Davidovic
Originally Posted by hellnegative
This shit all sounds to fucking complicated. lol
Not that complicated after the first time you do it the right away. Problem is not having the gear in front of you to play around with.
Maisie Davidovic
If you really can't fix it, use the DJM900 soundcard for Traktor. That way you can use the hardware switches on the mixer (above the gain knobs) to change from USB to CD mode without any risk.
To better understand this, each CDJ is connected with Digital IN on the back of the mixer so if I wanted to play it normally I would switch to Digital (above the Trim knob). Now when I'm Using Traktor connected to the DJM 900, then I would rotate the knob right to USB. And Traktor is able to communicate with each CDJ via the Digital wire. Is that correct? I would not have to press link at any time?

I believe the red/white RCA wires on each CDJ are connected to a Serato sound card in case a serato DJ comes in, but I believe those wires are wired into CD line on the mixer

Now when a new DJ would be coming in, I would choose an off-air deck, turn the knob back to digital from USB and then insert a CD/SD/USB.

Does that theory of a workflow sound right?
Maisie Davidovic
Pressing the browse knob in when selecting a track on CD, SD, or USB stick should deactivate the HID control in Traktor.

Are you using Advanced HID (not MIDI)? What Traktor version and CDJ firmware version are you on?
Makar, really appreciate the help. I'm on traktor 2.6 and was in HID advanced mode. Not sure of firmware on the CDJ will have to check that on Saturday.
Ilana Andretta
Originally Posted by ABee
Then when he would start a track it would also start a track on my computer. I believe we pulled out one USB cord and it made a sound (which sucked).

Please someone post the correct way to do this.

When you browse in cdj2000 and you find the track you wanna play you need first to press the browse knob so that cdj2000 loads the track. While playing from cdj2000 using USB I have caught myself many times when searching for a track in different playlist (than the one I was playing) and once I find it I then hit play but the cdj would go back and play the track it was previous loaded. So once you switch from Link to CD, then find the track you wanna play, press the browse knob to load it, then press play.

I hope this helped, take care.
Alphonso Deitchman
I've just tested my 2000 using MIDI-OX, and once a track is loaded from SD card the CDJ no longer sends MIDI messages of any kind.

Get hold of the firmware update from here so that if the players are out of date, you can easily update them on the spot.
Maisie Davidovic
Very strange. Have you checked the HID setting in the CDJ menu and set it to "Advanced"? What Traktor/CDJ firmware versions are you on? I'm using 2.6.1 and 4.11 respectively and everything works fine.

Also if unplugging the CDJs doesn't affect the audio you could easily connect it to the next Traktor setup without having to use a CD surely?
That was the first thing I did during setup. Because last time when music was playing and I switched one of them to advance mode it cut the sound for a quick second.

I forgot to check what version.
Alphonso Deitchman

Maisie Davidovic
Just got back from my gig. This time I plugged my computer straight into the DJM 900 with one wire and then with the other port I had a USB hub which connected both CDJs. I used the DJM 900 utility and some how was able to connect everything. I wasn't even 100% sure I knew what I was doing. Here is what I learned:
1. I still could not unlink the CDJ from Traktor and switch to a SD/CD/USB without it still being linked to Traktor and controlling it.
2. But I could easily pull the USB from the CDJ and it wouldn't make a weird noise that kills the club vibe. This happened to me when I used each CDJ last week as a sound card.

So basically when I was done with my set and the next DJ came on, he had to use a unplugged CDJ and insert a CD/USB or SD to play a song on. Then we unplugged the other off air CDJ and then he was able to connect his traktor.

Im starting to believe this is the only way. I could not unlink traktor from the CDJ.
Maisie Davidovic
Originally Posted by Samui
load your 1st track via cd/usb and then just set up your stuff and then continue with your set in traktor although the 1st mix has to be manual .
No problem there.....last time I just had an issue unlinking traktor from the CDJ.
Zachery Eenigenburg
Maisie Davidovic
Originally Posted by hellnegative
Not that complicated after the first time you do it the right away. Problem is not having the gear in front of you to play around with.
Emelina Chillson
Alphonso Deitchman
You still need to press Link to activate HID control, but if you use the DJM sound card there's no risk of Traktor's sound coming through the system once you turn the switches back to Digital (assuming there's a digital cable connected).
Maisie Davidovic
If you really can't fix it, use the DJM900 soundcard for Traktor. That way you can use the hardware switches on the mixer (above the gain knobs) to change from USB to CD mode without any risk.
To better understand this, each CDJ is connected with Digital IN on the back of the mixer so if I wanted to play it normally I would switch to Digital (above the Trim knob). Now when I'm Using Traktor connected to the DJM 900, then I would rotate the knob right to USB. And Traktor is able to communicate with each CDJ via the Digital wire. Is that correct? I would not have to press link at any time?

I believe the red/white RCA wires on each CDJ are connected to a Serato sound card in case a serato DJ comes in, but I believe those wires are wired into CD line on the mixer

Now when a new DJ would be coming in, I would choose an off-air deck, turn the knob back to digital from USB and then insert a CD/SD/USB.

Does that theory of a workflow sound right?
Alphonso Deitchman
Maisie Davidovic
Pressing the browse knob in when selecting a track on CD, SD, or USB stick should deactivate the HID control in Traktor.

Are you using Advanced HID (not MIDI)? What Traktor version and CDJ firmware version are you on?
Makar, really appreciate the help. I'm on traktor 2.6 and was in HID advanced mode. Not sure of firmware on the CDJ will have to check that on Saturday.
Alphonso Deitchman

Maisie Davidovic
Basically the track plays but at same time the deck on traktor plays as well. It happened once when it wouldn't let me select a track on the cd. Even if the cd plays eventually I have to pull the USB (traktor wire) out. So the problem here is that the CDJ remains linked with traktor. I can't unlink and if I pull the cord then it makes a noise.
Alphonso Deitchman
What exactly did you do when trying to switch to CD? You need to press DISC (not back) and use the rotary browse dial to choose a track from the CD (push it in!).

It works fine on my CDJ2000s next to me right now.
Edit: you have to wait a second or two for the CD track to load before pressing play.
Maisie Davidovic
Tried it by pressing back button and then switching to CD. Same problem as before where it wouldn't unlink. I am believeing of mixing in a track on my iPhone thru a different channel and then pulling all traktor USBs out. I just hope it won't make any noise and that the next DJ won't have any link problems. What do you guys believe ?
Ilana Andretta
Then when he would start a track it would also start a track on my computer. I believe we pulled out one USB cord and it made a sound (which sucked).

When you browse in cdj2000 and you find the track you wanna play you need first to press the browse knob so that cdj2000 loads the track. While playing from cdj2000 using USB I have caught myself many times when searching for a track in different playlist (than the one I was playing) and once I find it I then hit play but the cdj would go back and play the track it was previous loaded. So once you switch from Link to CD, then find the track you wanna play, press the browse knob to load it, then press play.

I hope this helped, take care.
Alphonso Deitchman
If the club has a DJM900 or similar mixer with internal USB sound card, the 2nd DJ can use that instead of the CDJ sound cards.

Otherwise you'll need CDs or USB sticks to do the switch smoothly.
Maisie Davidovic
Something else I just thought of. What if both switching DJs are using traktor with a different computer? How would that work?
Maisie Davidovic
Plug both CDJs into your computer while they are in use with CDs, but do not press any buttons on them yet. Check that your aggregate audio device is set up correctly. Then when you're ready to switch, press LINK on the free CDJ and activate HID mode. This is when you must make sure your output routing is correct by looking at the VU meters(it may be reversed). If it looks ok, mix in your track and then activate HID on the remaining CDJ once it's free.

I've heard of this problem a few times. When switching back to CDs, the rotary track selection dial must be pressed in to select a track from CD. Once the dial is pressed in (and only then), the CDJ will switch back from HID to CD mode. Do not disconnect any USB cables until both CDJs are back in CD mode.
Thank you for the reply. I will try it this weekend. Cheers
Alphonso Deitchman
Not to thread jack. I'm assuming you guys use Traktor connected to the CDJs with a USB. Can someone please explain how do I come in mid set to someone using CD's (one channel at a time).
Plug both CDJs into your computer while they are in use with CDs, but do not press any buttons on them yet. Check that your aggregate audio device is set up correctly. Then when you're ready to switch, press LINK on the free CDJ and activate HID mode. This is when you must make sure your output routing is correct by looking at the VU meters(it may be reversed). If it looks ok, mix in your track and then activate HID on the remaining CDJ once it's free.

And then how does someone else take over after me who is using CDs?
THis past week I had a guy come in and take over after me and when he put in the CD and switched over, he was having trouble selecting a song and switched tracks. Then when he would start a track it would also start a track on my computer. I believe we pulled out one USB cord and it made a sound (which sucked).
I've heard of this problem a few times. When switching back to CDs, the rotary track selection dial must be pressed in to select a track from CD. Once the dial is pressed in (and only then), the CDJ will switch back from HID to CD mode. Do not disconnect any USB cables until both CDJs are back in CD mode.
Emelina Chillson
for one don't unplug anything from a channel while its in use. that's very disrespectful since it can cause issues.

if you are using midi, ya can plug the USB cables into your lappy while the cdjs are still being used for CD and then hit midi once its done. works for me every time flawlessly on tsp 2.6.1 on win.
Maisie Davidovic
Not to thread jack. I'm assuming you guys use Traktor connected to the CDJs with a USB. Can someone please explain how do I come in mid set to someone using CD's (one channel at a time). And then how does someone else take over after me who is using CDs?

Here is the setup:
Traktor 2.6
Macbook Air
CDJ 2000 with DJM 900. I believe the mixer and CDJs were linked.

THis past week I had a guy come in and take over after me and when he put in the CD and switched over, he was having trouble selecting a song and switched tracks. Then when he would start a track it would also start a track on my computer. I believe we pulled out one USB cord and it made a sound (which sucked).

Emelina Chillson
Ive never run into any issues using a hub with the 900's/2000's
Emilia Dielmann
I've never had any audio issues with any device since I got my Air.

Are you familiar with setting up aggregate audio devices? Pioneer provide a mini auto aggregator on their website.
Yeah I have the aggregator setup , I did it already in the audio midi app on the air.
Alphonso Deitchman
I've never had any audio issues with any device since I got my Air.

Are you familiar with setting up aggregate audio devices? Pioneer provide a mini auto aggregator on their website.
Emilia Dielmann
They should be fine since the CDJs are powered and do not require any USB bus power. I have the same setup as you described and haven't had any problems.
Any audio drop outs, pops or clicks , I'm playing in a big club and don't want to have any mistakes. Defiantly makes me feel better that yours is good to go. I was questioning is for quite some time now
Alphonso Deitchman
They should be fine since the CDJs are powered and do not require any USB bus power. I have the same setup as you described and haven't had any problems.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy