low phono volume in Xone92

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: low phono volume in Xone92Reply
low phono volume in Xone92
Posted on: 18.04.2013 by Ilana Andretta
Hi all, I apologize if my English is not correct.
I have an Xone92 and recently got two sl1210s. When I play real vinyl the volume I get from my mixer is really low comparing with cdjs. Turntables are in phono lines in mixer and phono is turned on in the channel. I have to turn the gain up at 3 o' clock in order to level it with cdjs. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? My turntables now have Stanton 505.V3 but the cartridges are old. I tried a friends cartridges (Numark CS-1) and it did sound better but still I had to put the gain in my mixer a lot up. If I get a cartridge with higher output do you believe I will solve a bit my problem?

Thanks in advance
Jeffrey Akinsanya
Originally Posted by makar1
Turntables are quiet.
if you open up a pair of techincs 1210 you will notice there is not power that goes to the tone arm/needle..

all the power does is turn the platter / lights / pitch,
Ilana Andretta
Hi all, I apologize if my English is not correct.
I have an Xone92 and recently got two sl1210s. When I play real vinyl the volume I get from my mixer is really low comparing with cdjs. Turntables are in phono lines in mixer and phono is turned on in the channel. I have to turn the gain up at 3 o' clock in order to level it with cdjs. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? My turntables now have Stanton 505.V3 but the cartridges are old. I tried a friends cartridges (Numark CS-1) and it did sound better but still I had to put the gain in my mixer a lot up. If I get a cartridge with higher output do you believe I will solve a bit my problem?

Thanks in advance
Ilana Andretta
bumtsch that is true. I read many stories over the net about ortofon contacts and how to make it work. But I don't believe that was the case with me. I couldn't make one work at all. Funny thing was that one was working perfectly in both TTs and the other was not in both of them. Old stanton cartridges I have work in both TTs. I believe it's ridiculus to pay almost 300Euros for 2 Sets of new cartridges that doesn't work and when I called the company they said that this is impossible and there is only one in a million chances to happen. Funny story is that when they got them back they claimed that both work fine. I returned them, and I believe for the same amount of money I will go for two ortofon elektro and two shure N44-7 to change my old Stanton ones.
Delila Vandommelen
That used to be a problem on older concordes because of the shape of their tonearm contacts. So you had to screw them in too hard and damaged the contacts inside the tonearm or something similar. Apparently, those manufactured in recent years mostly fix that, but that doesn't mean tonearms out there still aren't messed up... might not be the thing here since you had the problem when swapping cartridges.
I lost a channel all of a sudden on a playing deck during a set with one of my concordes (that I bought in 2010). I screwed it back in after cleaning the inside of the tonearm and it worked, but that was mostly down to those TTs being in need of servicing.

Anyway - the issue boils down to a shoddy contact area. If you get the OM versions of the same Ortofons (which you then have to mount to your headshells of choice), you pretty much make that problem disappear.
Ilana Andretta
I had to return both ortofn S-120s. One was working fine but the other one played only one channel.
After searching it at the net I found that many ppl had same problem with ortofons in general. That is ridiculus.
Anyways, thanks everyone for your help.
Ilana Andretta
Just got today 2 ortofon concorde s-120s. First few hours and I am impressed. Gain is much improved however I still believe Xone has different phono/line sturcture than other mixers. Maybe it's my mind playing games.

Btw one of the new s-120 cartridges was only playing the right channel. There was no sound coming from the left speaker. I changed the stylus (there is a second one in the set) but no luck. I switched the bad cartridge turtables but same thing. Had to send it back and hopefully they will send me another one. That is so crap.
Jeffrey Akinsanya
Originally Posted by makar1
Turntables are quiet.
if you open up a pair of techincs 1210 you will notice there is not power that goes to the tone arm/needle..

all the power does is turn the platter / lights / pitch,
Delila Vandommelen
The Elektro at 7.5ish is already a good improvement if you don't wanna go for the big bucks, but still comes up a wee bit short (can't fully light up the red, but that's probably a good thing).
Ilana Andretta
Thanks everyone but I can't say anything until I get new cartridges. The ones that I have now are really old and I can't tell. I have tested a Numark CS-1 for a few mins, phono level was better comparing with my current ones but not enough I believe. I can't make any safe coclusions because I only had it for a bit.

@bumtsch, I totally agree with you. It seems like Xone has different phono/line stucture comparing with Pioneer mixers. Anyways I am looking for two high output cartridges (propably gonna get the s120)
Delila Vandommelen
M35x is 6mV, like the Whitelabel and OP's Stantons.
M44G is 6.2mV.
That being said, mine are louder than my bastard concorde pro/elektro enough that I don't "run out of gain" on them like I do on the ortofons with Xone mixers. It's quite possible it's just his styli that are really worn.
Nadia Shelmadine
Few high output carts: Shure M35X, Shure M44G, Shure M447, Ortofon Q-Bert (highest).
Alphonso Deitchman
Here's some info on the DJM900's meters if you're interested:
http://community s.pioneerdj.com/entries/...-Output-level-
Delila Vandommelen
Yes, typically CDJs will be louder than phono. But you'll find your phono levels depend on
-vinyl pressings, often even from one side to the other
-the mixer's phono gain staging, not necessarily really obvious
-and overall most noticeably phono cartridges, so the benefits of higher out power is self explanatory - but depending on the mixer, you may or may not overdrive some mixer's phono stages with the same loud cart+loud record combination.

The 505v3 is a relatively quiet cartridge at 6.0mV so you do have to push the gain more. All the more so since you mentioned they've been around for some time. Dohjo, what kinda concorde do you use?

I always bring my concorde pro carts with me (elektro needles currently) at gigs and I definitely feel I run out of gain on 92s -just like on my 42 at home - sooner than on pioneers. On some records it barely gets to +6 at nearly full crank on the Xone.
Of course, we'd have to take a voltmeter to the actual output to figure out whether the displayed +whatever db actually matches the suggested scale... but relative to a line level on the nearby input, there is a difference if you compare mixers.
Hank Guidas
It does sound weird. I have a reloop rmx-40 blackfire and my turntables have ortofone needles. My turntables is sometimes louder than the cdjs, with the gain set at the same (depending on the track of course). Have u flicked the phono/line thing at the back?
Ilana Andretta
Thanks for the reply makar. I know that cdjs are gonna sound louder than turntables but to me it seems I put too much gain in Xone in order to level it with the cdj. I am just wondering if that is normal. I have used before djm mixer and I don't remeber myself adding so much gain. Then again maybe I am wrong, thats why I made this post. I apologise if the question seems silly. Also check this thread (http://xonecommunity .allen-heath.com/for...ow-phono-input) that I found in Xone community s where seems to be same problem.
Alphonso Deitchman
CDJs are loud. Turntables are quiet.
Different carts or needles may change things slightly, but you'll never get CDJ-level outputs from a typical turntable.

Is there actually any problem with the setup?

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy