changing tonearm on 1200 mk2 first time

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: changing tonearm on 1200 mk2 first timeReply
changing tonearm on 1200 mk2 first time
Posted on: 09.05.2013 by Nikki Mcpeek
i tested if my tone arm is in good condition by following the advice in the video below. it turns out that i've a bad tone arm because it does not move to the middle when i change the anti-skate from 3 to 0. prior to all of that, the stylus was skipping every time no matter what i set the counter weight. talking about counter weight, does anyone know what setting pro dj's put their counter weight on?

does anyone know a good site to get mk2 parts? and what i should order. thanks in advance.

Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by cutflow
well i'm going to try and replace the entire tonearm base as you recommended. in addition, i will be receiving the piece next week after winning it on ebay.

i have a question though, what can i do with my old tonearm base? i was believeing of reselling it on ebay for like $10 usd / free shipping just so hopefully the one purchasing it will know how to go through the trouble of fixing it and then sell it back on the market for a profit. i believe that individual would be doing a favor towards keeping the product alive.

any suggestions patch !
You could try fixing it yourself when you get a new one? Would be another string to your bow.
Nikki Mcpeek
Originally Posted by Patch
TBH, mate, if you've got any doubts about your ability to repair a turntable don't try. Take it to someone that knows.

My heart couldn't take another 1200 biting the dust...
well i'm going to try and replace the entire tonearm base as you recommended. in addition, i will be receiving the piece next week after winning it on ebay.

i have a question though, what can i do with my old tonearm base? i was believeing of reselling it on ebay for like $10 usd / free shipping just so hopefully the one purchasing it will know how to go through the trouble of fixing it and then sell it back on the market for a profit. i believe that individual would be doing a favor towards keeping the product alive.

any suggestions patch !
Brunilda Kora
The gimble is part of the tone arm and tonearm pivot assy. (Top half of tonearm assy).
$(KGrHqJ,!igE9p4OK2n5BPlqcoGpqg~~60_12.JPG

The spring is part of the tonearm base. (Bottom half of tonearm assy).
$(KGrHqFHJFQFGMPtu+-)BRkQqRNyLQ~~60_12.JPG

You can see the end of the spring here - it's the "L" shaped pin that is sticking out of the centre of the part:
$T2eC16R,!yME9s5qHBV2BRPZzc4qUw~~60_12.JPG

Repairing the tonearm is extremely difficult. But replacing the entire tonearm assembly is much easier.

TBH, mate, if you've got any doubts about your ability to repair a turntable don't try. Take it to someone that knows.

Nikki Mcpeek
Originally Posted by LoopCat
It's not just the spring it can also be the bearings in the tone arm gimble.
im not sure what your talking about because i'm a complete newb when it comes to repairing a 1200. could you please provide a video of some sort =D

thanks in advance / knowledge is power
Nikki Mcpeek
Yeah, 'cos you'll get a whole new anti-skate mechanism already attached to the base of the tone arm assembly.
what can i do with my old tonearm base?

what i don't want to do, is throw it out. I rather keep it and learn to fix, but if that is complex then i would just pay to get it fixed since i value my time a lot. what do you believe patch
Nikki Mcpeek
Inside your tone arm assembly is a really weak spring that touches a vertical bar in the base of the tonearm.

It is this weak spring that applies the anti-skating force. At 0, the spring doesn't touch the vertical bar, but as you increase the anti-skate dial towards 3, the spring gradualy applies more force to the vertical bar.

You have to completely disassemble to tone arm to get to the spring. It is NOT an easy job.

A more expensive, but much EASIER ix, is to buy a complete tone arm assembly incl. base. They're easy to swap out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-s...ht_1836wt_1170
does buying the tone arm base also fixes the anti-skating problem that i'm having as well?
Nikki Mcpeek
i tested if my tone arm is in good condition by following the advice in the video below. it turns out that i've a bad tone arm because it does not move to the middle when i change the anti-skate from 3 to 0. prior to all of that, the stylus was skipping every time no matter what i set the counter weight. talking about counter weight, does anyone know what setting pro dj's put their counter weight on?

does anyone know a good site to get mk2 parts? and what i should order. thanks in advance.

Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by cutflow

any suggestions patch !
You could try fixing it yourself when you get a new one? Would be another string to your bow.
Nikki Mcpeek

any suggestions patch !
Brunilda Kora
The gimble is part of the tone arm and tonearm pivot assy. (Top half of tonearm assy).
$(KGrHqJ,!igE9p4OK2n5BPlqcoGpqg~~60_12.JPG

The spring is part of the tonearm base. (Bottom half of tonearm assy).
$(KGrHqFHJFQFGMPtu+-)BRkQqRNyLQ~~60_12.JPG

You can see the end of the spring here - it's the "L" shaped pin that is sticking out of the centre of the part:
$T2eC16R,!yME9s5qHBV2BRPZzc4qUw~~60_12.JPG

Repairing the tonearm is extremely difficult. But replacing the entire tonearm assembly is much easier.

Nikki Mcpeek
Originally Posted by LoopCat
im not sure what your talking about because i'm a complete newb when it comes to repairing a 1200. could you please provide a video of some sort =D

thanks in advance / knowledge is power
Ming Devis
Nikki Mcpeek
Yeah, 'cos you'll get a whole new anti-skate mechanism already attached to the base of the tone arm assembly.
what can i do with my old tonearm base?

what i don't want to do, is throw it out. I rather keep it and learn to fix, but if that is complex then i would just pay to get it fixed since i value my time a lot. what do you believe patch
Gaynell Rydberg
Okay. Mine defnitely doesn't do that lol.
Brunilda Kora
Nikki Mcpeek
Inside your tone arm assembly is a really weak spring that touches a vertical bar in the base of the tonearm.

It is this weak spring that applies the anti-skating force. At 0, the spring doesn't touch the vertical bar, but as you increase the anti-skate dial towards 3, the spring gradualy applies more force to the vertical bar.

You have to completely disassemble to tone arm to get to the spring. It is NOT an easy job.

A more expensive, but much EASIER ix, is to buy a complete tone arm assembly incl. base. They're easy to swap out.

does buying the tone arm base also fixes the anti-skating problem that i'm having as well?
Brunilda Kora

Yong Aptekar
I set my tonearm at 2.5 for mixing and 3 for scratching, but I'm not a pro DJ.
Rena Estabrook
If you're looking for just a tonearm, get one here. I received mine and it's all good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Technics...item1c26357109

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy