Posted on: 02.05.2013 by Dedra Kreinbring
Having done my research, I have a pretty good idea of what I want. This isn't a setup for which I will sell on and swap within a couple of years, looking to keep the TT's especially for life.

- TT's - Torn between techs and Stanton 150's - I know techs have proved they last a long time, but will they last another generation? Can get some nice warranty on the stantons if I buy new too, and I can't see them being outdated soon.

- Software / Soundcard - SSL or TSP - Currently have only ever used Traktor, and use an S2, F1 set up, so it swinging me towards going TSP.

- Mixer - This is where I have next to no knowledge, as I have only ever used cheap 2 channel mixers - The z2 is an option, but would ideally prefer 4 Channels.

What would you do?
Nadia Shelmadine
Originally Posted by Big Panda
Do you guys use SSL or TSP? Anyone use both and have a preference?
I use both, Serato Intro, Itch, (DJ) and SSL plus Traktor Scratch Pro 2. I like the matching waveforms on Serato, but the effects are much better on Traktor. Traktor is also alot better to midi map. But DJ'ing is about the music, not the software or hardware. Whatever you buy, just do not get the SL1.
Kristofer Krauel
....Point taken though, I'l go have a good play on both and see which I like best.
Best idea.
Kristofer Krauel
......I love technics, .... but I just feel if I want to hang on to them for 30 years etc., that techs may get a bit outdated.

I can see myself swapping and changing mixers as they are constantly being changed, but TT's seem to be timeless
You've answered yourself here. If TT's are timeless, Technics won't ever be outdated!
Tamela Batara
Dedra Kreinbring
Having done my research, I have a pretty good idea of what I want. This isn't a setup for which I will sell on and swap within a couple of years, looking to keep the TT's especially for life.

- TT's - Torn between techs and Stanton 150's - I know techs have proved they last a long time, but will they last another generation? Can get some nice warranty on the stantons if I buy new too, and I can't see them being outdated soon.

- Software / Soundcard - SSL or TSP - Currently have only ever used Traktor, and use an S2, F1 set up, so it swinging me towards going TSP.

- Mixer - This is where I have next to no knowledge, as I have only ever used cheap 2 channel mixers - The z2 is an option, but would ideally prefer 4 Channels.

What would you do?
Dedra Kreinbring
Just an update incase anyone happened to care a little.

I went for some custom 1210 mk2s with a few upgrades. Black with white platter and white on tone arm mech.
Traktor Z2.
Shure M44-7.

Thanks very much for your advice and help. So excited for these to get here.
Dedra Kreinbring
I change my mind every 30 minutes what TT i want, but to be honest, I believe with the Stantons or technics I won't go wrong.

If I can find a mint pair of black techs (maybe M5g) I will get them, if not then 150's. If i was buying and selling in a few years time I would get the techs in a heartbeat, but I want to keep these for life.
Genoveva Bopp
I suggest

2 /3 x Technics
1 x Denon DNX1600 (Traktor cert soundcard built in)
Traktor

Of course I'm running the above so my judgement is clouded but it's a great setup.
Dedra Kreinbring
Thanks everyone, at the moment I am believeing Tech MK2's and the Z2. I am a bit of an NI fanboy, but only because they have never let me down, and reckon it would go well with my F1 and X1. Just need to find some really good condition black techs that have been fully serviced etc.
Nadia Shelmadine
I use both, Serato Intro, Itch, (DJ) and SSL plus Traktor Scratch Pro 2. I like the matching waveforms on Serato, but the effects are much better on Traktor. Traktor is also alot better to midi map. But DJ'ing is about the music, not the software or hardware. Whatever you buy, just do not get the SL1.
Brunilda Kora
I'm not upgrading - I bought 4 1210's specifically to refurbish, modify and sell.

More than happy with my original 1200 MKII's.
Dedra Kreinbring
How come you are selling? What you upgrading to? (Just out of interest)

Having a play on some isn't that easy, as there are very few dj shops near me that stock both
Brunilda Kora
Tech's, Dicers Zomo MC-1000 and Traktor.

Mixer of your choice.

P.S - I'll be selling 2x2 modded, White with Blue LED's and upgraded interconnects and power cables, Technics 1210's in the UK very soon...
Kristofer Krauel
....Point taken though, I'l go have a good play on both and see which I like best.
Best idea.
Dedra Kreinbring
Haha brilliant point. But the little updates on the 150's are nice.

Point taken though, I'l go have a good play on both and see which I like best.
Kristofer Krauel
......I love technics, .... but I just feel if I want to hang on to them for 30 years etc., that techs may get a bit outdated.

I can see myself swapping and changing mixers as they are constantly being changed, but TT's seem to be timeless
You've answered yourself here. If TT's are timeless, Technics won't ever be outdated!
Dedra Kreinbring
Yeah sorry I come across quite stubborn on the Stanton front, this is unintentional, I am just very wary of 2nd hand gear (especially when it is no longer in production).

The DB2 does look lovely.

And is external mixing much more preferable to internal mixing in Traktor?

(Sorry for all the questions, I know all the specs etc from reviews and research, but actual opinion is invaluable to me as I only have one DJ mate who uses TT's.)
Tamela Batara
To be honest, I'd be more inclined to buy the Technics to last another 30 years than the Stantons, as they already have the track record.

Never used SSL, as it's a lot of money when TSP just works for me with the DB4 soundcard, so cannot comment on the differences between them. I'm sure someone else will be able to.

Running a MBP you will need a soundcard with a DB mixer anyway, or you could get a DJM 900 that is TSP certified. But that would put you over budget if you go for new Stantons.

If your determined on the new 150's, the Denon DN-X1600 or DB2 would be the best mixers in budget. But the Denon will be TSP certified.
Dedra Kreinbring
I am running a Macbook Pro.

I love technics, use my friends sometimes for gigs, but I just feel if I want to hang on to them for 30 years etc., that techs may get a bit outdated. If I were buying to use for a few years then sell on, I would jump on them straight away.

I can see myself swapping and changing mixers as they are constantly being changed, but TT's seem to be timeless. All I can see them adding over the next 5 years is midi functional TT, but that is what I have an F1 / X1 for.

Also has anyone had experience with both the ST 150's and 1200/1210's?
Tamela Batara
Nadia Shelmadine
2x Technics SL12X0 MK5's with Shure M447's
1x Pioneer DJM-T1 / Traktor Z2 / Pioneer DJM850/900
1x 2nd hand Audio 4/6/8 interface for gigs

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy