cant seem to figure out why my needles keep skipping (new to TT's)

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: cant seem to figure out why my needles keep skipping (new to TT's)Reply
cant seem to figure out why my needles keep skipping (new to TT's)
Posted on: 03.06.2013 by Rufus Ondrick
Hello all as you could probably tell im still a little new to turntables. I was hoping if anyone could help me figure out why my stanton 680hp's are skipping. i've got DVS set up with traktor if that helps. i've followed a few guides but with no success. the recommended tracking force for my cart is 2 - 5grams and i've adjusted it to 3 - 3.5 even up to 5 and anti skating fixed to 3 but it still skips. what am i doing wrong? also does the surface level which my turntables are on play a good part to the skipping?

dont be harsh, help a newbie out

Thanks
Rufus Ondrick
Originally Posted by djproben
All good advice above, but just a couple other notes. If the record has a hole that is too large (by a fraction of a millimeter) this can contribute to skipping; use a tiny sliver or two of scotch tape inside the hole to bolster it if that's a problem. A warped or bowled record is also prone to skipping more often. And the point about breaking in the needle is especially true for Stanton needles I've found (I haven't used the 680 but I was shocked by the amount of skipping I saw on new scratchmasters or whatever they were called); leave the needle on the record overevening to help break them in. (And yeah you'll do much better with M447s if you're into scratching at all).

Finally, work on your technique - it's amazing how heavy handed we are in the beginning with vinyl records; it takes some time to develop a light touch. Practice by just holding the record still with the needle on it and the platter underneath rotating - try to get to the point where you can stop and start the record without changing the movement of the platter at all (you can watch the strobe indicators to see how you're doing).

The hole WAS too big, I followed your advice and now it does not skip when i back cue as much unless i do some intense back cueing which results on my wiggly little table to wiggle which im sure contributes to the skipping as well.

Thanks djproben and to all other users who helped me out!
Rufus Ondrick
Originally Posted by DJSigma
New carts usually have to go through a bit of a break in period before they perform at their best.

Some things to consider though: -

1. Are your decks set up on a level and sturdy surface?

2. Have you set everything up correctly? That includes the way the cartridge is mounted to the headshell, tonearm height, counterbalance weight and anti-skate.

3. Do your decks have issues? If the anti-skate is not functioning correctly, that will usually cause skipping. Also, if the tonearm bearings are a bit loose, that can cause skipping too.

4. Is the stylus excessively worn or covered in dust/crap?

5. Are your records warped? Are they bad pressings? Is the hole in the centre of the record a bit too big, which causes the record to wobble a little as you scratch or cue?

6. Are you just being too heavy-handed?
1. 1 is at the moment. the table is little a wiggly just a little though very little like seriously tiny

2. the cartridge was pre-mounted to the headshell already when i got them (they're the 680HP they came with my stanton st. 150's)

3. I sure hope not. Both my decks are having the same issue and both were bought brand new at the same time a week ago from my local music store

4. both stylus have specs of dust but not completely covered

5. the whole might be a tad bit bigger but no they are not excessively warped that you would notice right away

6. i'm gentle to the touch i do not press hard i touch just enough to move it/intentionally "slide it"?

Thanks for the help guys
Rufus Ondrick
Originally Posted by dripstep
Need more info.

Are you scratching?
Are your needles new?
Are your records dirty?
What kind of table are your decks on?
Did you balance your tonearm properly?
Are your decks level?
Do you live in a earthquake prone area?
No mostly cueing and back cueing
both needles are new
finger prints are visible but thats it
a nice one
the tone arms are balanced properly followed multiple guides
my decks are not leveled. but i did level 1 turntable and reblanced the tone arm but same issue
no i dont lol
Rufus Ondrick
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
The table needs to be flat.

Your stylus could be worn out.
I leveled the table where my TT's are on and same issue. the needles came with the TT's im pretty sure they're still new, anyway i could check if they are?
Rufus Ondrick
Hello all as you could probably tell im still a little new to turntables. I was hoping if anyone could help me figure out why my stanton 680hp's are skipping. i've got DVS set up with traktor if that helps. i've followed a few guides but with no success. the recommended tracking force for my cart is 2 - 5grams and i've adjusted it to 3 - 3.5 even up to 5 and anti skating fixed to 3 but it still skips. what am i doing wrong? also does the surface level which my turntables are on play a good part to the skipping?

dont be harsh, help a newbie out

Thanks
Rufus Ondrick
Originally Posted by djproben
All good advice above, but just a couple other notes. If the record has a hole that is too large (by a fraction of a millimeter) this can contribute to skipping; use a tiny sliver or two of scotch tape inside the hole to bolster it if that's a problem. A warped or bowled record is also prone to skipping more often. And the point about breaking in the needle is especially true for Stanton needles I've found (I haven't used the 680 but I was shocked by the amount of skipping I saw on new scratchmasters or whatever they were called); leave the needle on the record overevening to help break them in. (And yeah you'll do much better with M447s if you're into scratching at all).

Finally, work on your technique - it's amazing how heavy handed we are in the beginning with vinyl records; it takes some time to develop a light touch. Practice by just holding the record still with the needle on it and the platter underneath rotating - try to get to the point where you can stop and start the record without changing the movement of the platter at all (you can watch the strobe indicators to see how you're doing).

The hole WAS too big, I followed your advice and now it does not skip when i back cue as much unless i do some intense back cueing which results on my wiggly little table to wiggle which im sure contributes to the skipping as well.

Thanks djproben and to all other users who helped me out!
Danae Dumler

Rufus Ondrick
Originally Posted by DJSigma
New carts usually have to go through a bit of a break in period before they perform at their best.

2. Have you set everything up correctly? That includes the way the cartridge is mounted to the headshell, tonearm height, counterbalance weight and anti-skate.

3. Do your decks have issues? If the anti-skate is not functioning correctly, that will usually cause skipping. Also, if the tonearm bearings are a bit loose, that can cause skipping too.

5. Are your records warped? Are they bad pressings? Is the hole in the centre of the record a bit too big, which causes the record to wobble a little as you scratch or cue?

1. 1 is at the moment. the table is little a wiggly just a little though very little like seriously tiny

2. the cartridge was pre-mounted to the headshell already when i got them (they're the 680HP they came with my stanton st. 150's)

3. I sure hope not. Both my decks are having the same issue and both were bought brand new at the same time a week ago from my local music store

4. both stylus have specs of dust but not completely covered

5. the whole might be a tad bit bigger but no they are not excessively warped that you would notice right away

6. i'm gentle to the touch i do not press hard i touch just enough to move it/intentionally "slide it"?

Thanks for the help guys
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
get a one sided record.. play the blank side. Set the anti-skate as per the manufactures instructions put your needle on it and play with the counter weight until the needle sits in the middle of the blank vinyl.. that is the only cheap way to determine if your tonearm is balanced. Once you have done that just buy some M447's... they will never skip unless worn out for about 9-12 months no matter what the balance of your tonearm is.
Lina Rawie

Brunilda Kora
Are they skipping during regular playback? Because that is NOT normal.

Are they skipping because you are n00b scratching? Because that IS normal.
Rufus Ondrick
Originally Posted by dripstep
Need more info.

Are you scratching?
Are your needles new?
Are your records dirty?
Are your decks level?
No mostly cueing and back cueing
both needles are new
finger prints are visible but thats it
a nice one
the tone arms are balanced properly followed multiple guides
my decks are not leveled. but i did level 1 turntable and reblanced the tone arm but same issue
no i dont lol
Emelina Chillson
Adjust the feet on your turntable to ensure the turntable sits level. Adjust angle of your needle to be in line with the back end of the tone arm. Ensure the point of your needle is directly under the edge of the headshell. Adjust the height of your tonearm to where your cartridge is level with the record at about 1.5mm above the record. Let your arm float freely. Set the dial on your weight to zero and the weight all the way toward the needle. Turn your weight counterclockwise untill the cartrdige is floating level. The number on your dial is what your anti-skate should be set to. Now reset the dial to zero rotating your weight clockwise untill it is at the recommended pressure for your cartridge and needle. Voala. Your tonearm is now set up properly for your needle.
Yong Aptekar
Need more info.

Are you scratching?
Are your needles new?
Are your records dirty?
Are your decks level?
Rufus Ondrick
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50

I leveled the table where my TT's are on and same issue. the needles came with the TT's im pretty sure they're still new, anyway i could check if they are?
Gaynell Rydberg

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy