DN-S3700 Vinyl Mode Beatmatching

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: DN-S3700 Vinyl Mode BeatmatchingReply
DN-S3700 Vinyl Mode Beatmatching
Posted on: 23.06.2013 by Chrissy Kynard
Hey all, long time no see.

I'm wondering if anybody is more clever than me in helping me figure out how to beatmatch on the S3700s in their vinyl modes (using the platter, not the bend buttons). When I first got them, I tried doing the same techniques for real technics but there was some issues; the platter didnt seem sensitive enough when slowing it down - alot of pressure on the exterior was needed and it was more jerky than doing it with technics. In addition, speeding it up by turning the spindle wasnt very effective either. I'd really like to have setup that seems almost identical to turntables but this is the main issue with that goal.

Has anybody found a way to deal with this via unorthodox (or just overlooked) methods? Any help would be grand!
Chrissy Kynard
Originally Posted by Hippie

Have you tried adjusting the tension of the screws that hold the vinyl down or tried the different modes for the torque? I keep meaning to try a lower torque setting to see if you can touch the dots to bend the pitch, like you can with a Technics..
I just tested the vinyl on the low torque setting. Slowing it down via touching the side of the platter is a little easier, but still pretty difficult compared to technics. Its extreme sensitivity means you usually slow it way down when trying to apply more pressure since it wont slow down unless you pass a pressure threshold. I'm still having a hard time speeding it up, but I might try to loosen the screws and let the vinyl be less attached to the patter. Hopefully this will reduce the sensitivity but I feel that the tightness is what makes the entire vinyl thing work, so we will see. Just gotta find something small enough to screw those tiny screws out.
Chrissy Kynard
Hey all, long time no see.

I'm wondering if anybody is more clever than me in helping me figure out how to beatmatch on the S3700s in their vinyl modes (using the platter, not the bend buttons). When I first got them, I tried doing the same techniques for real technics but there was some issues; the platter didnt seem sensitive enough when slowing it down - alot of pressure on the exterior was needed and it was more jerky than doing it with technics. In addition, speeding it up by turning the spindle wasnt very effective either. I'd really like to have setup that seems almost identical to turntables but this is the main issue with that goal.

Has anybody found a way to deal with this via unorthodox (or just overlooked) methods? Any help would be grand!
Federico Vilas
dude, you have a free pass since you have already started and owned 1200s just use the pitch bend buttons I am working on getting money saved up for a pair myself. You can still cue the song in like normal so I would just use it the way it was intended for...an easier more convenient way to mix
Emelina Chillson
Also, roll your finger into the platter when slowing. You have more control with less pressure that way.
Emelina Chillson
You can adjust the torque settings of the platter and change out the slipmats. Read your manual.
Chrissy Kynard
Originally Posted by Hippie

Have you tried adjusting the tension of the screws that hold the vinyl down or tried the different modes for the torque? I keep meaning to try a lower torque setting to see if you can touch the dots to bend the pitch, like you can with a Technics..
I just tested the vinyl on the low torque setting. Slowing it down via touching the side of the platter is a little easier, but still pretty difficult compared to technics. Its extreme sensitivity means you usually slow it way down when trying to apply more pressure since it wont slow down unless you pass a pressure threshold. I'm still having a hard time speeding it up, but I might try to loosen the screws and let the vinyl be less attached to the patter. Hopefully this will reduce the sensitivity but I feel that the tightness is what makes the entire vinyl thing work, so we will see. Just gotta find something small enough to screw those tiny screws out.
Tania Somppi
After typing about popping off the fader caps, I thought I'd try it
I added a few layers of corrugated card under the cap to test it out and the fader feels a lot sturdier and easier to fine tune now.
I believe I'm gonna take out a layer and glue some felt to the bottom layer to create a long term solution, now I know it works.
Tania Somppi
I only picked up my pair a few days ago but I find it easiest to use a higher fader range than I need, like +/-16, and ride the pitch with the fader.

I've had some success touching the vinyl gently to slow it and twisting the nipple or spinning the sticker area to speed it up .... or just using the pitch bend buttons (I'm still getting used to them so I keep pressing the buttons by accident while using the pitch fader ).

Have you tried adjusting the tension of the screws that hold the vinyl down or tried the different modes for the torque? I keep meaning to try a lower torque setting to see if you can touch the dots to bend the pitch, like you can with a Technics.

Do you know if the pitch fader knob will just slide off if I lever it with a flathead screwdriver? I'm believeing about putting a piece of felt under the knob to add a bit of tension and make it feel more like a Technics fader.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy