Technics modifications. What would you go for?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Technics modifications. What would you go for?Reply
Technics modifications. What would you go for?
Posted on: 24.05.2013 by Dedra Kreinbring
Right, I have decided that for my 21st I am going to get some Technics MK2s and have them modified by Turntable Pimp UK. Let's for arguments sake say that money is no object. I have never owned a pair of MK2s before, so I don't really know what the best upgrades would be. I want these to last for ever.

They offer:

Led conversion (strobe/quartz/33/45/pop up)
Under platter lighting
Unter platter and under pitch lighting
Under platter/pitch lighting with 18 colours controlled with a remote
Gold plated upgrade RCAs with HQ Grounds
Gold plated Upgrade Snake Skin RCAs with HQ Grounds
External Female RCA plate for removing leads and putting on when needed.
Full Service
New Upgrade MK5 Clickless Pitch sliders with quartz removed
New 1210 mk2 Tone Arms

Which modifications would you have done?

I am currently believeing:

LED conversion.
RCA Snake skin RCAs and HG grounds. Internally grounded or not?
MK5 pitch sliders.

I am undeceive about female RCA and internal grounding.
Would you go for the MK5 clickless pitch?

Just interested in what other people would get if they were in my position?
Ninfa Mazariegos
Here's a few after pics. You will need to cut and solder the ground cable to the rca ground in the picture. It won't hurt to use the other ground, but a mono headshell won't work, should you decide to use one. The rca cables are now long enough that I can have them come out of the holes between the dust cover mounts and have plenty of slack to run them up my laptop stand and into my audio 10, or be able to set the audio 10 off to the side of my setup, or have both tables to one side of the mixer. Great mod.

2013-04-28 14.18.05.jpg2013-04-28 16.01.33.jpg2013-06-09 17.57.29.jpg
Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by Big Panda
Done. Just to update people with what I decided on.

I went for all black with white platter and some white on the tone arm mechanism. Upgraded RCAs and ground, clickless pitch, blue LEDs.

Thanks everyone for the advice, can't wait for these babies to arrive so I can have a spin and get some pics up.
Cool man looking forward to seeing them!
Ervin Calvery
Decided to go for clickless pitch, upgraded RCAs and all black with some white for colour. So excited to get these. Just need to decide on a mixer now. The Z2 is tempting me massively.
Go for it - it's fun!
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by xs2man
I'm about to do both my pairs of 1210's. Here is what I have decided to do...

One set Piano Black
One set White (any recommendations on shade of white? I'm believeing Alpine White)
Platters untouched (possibly paint the faces, but leaving the sides).
Upgraded RCA's. (this is a bit of snake oil though, so won't be going too far with the upgrade, just look nicer)
Internal Ground
mk5 pitch sliders
LED lights (blue probably)

I believe the contrast between one white set, and one piano black set will look nice. But then I do plan on selling one set too once they are all done. I just have to decide which set I prefer once they are finished, lol.
I'd go as white as possible. Figure out how glossy or matte you'd like them to look before you settle on the paint, though.
Chet Gatts
Originally Posted by Bassline Brine
If you can, get them internally grounded. That's the one bugger I always hate about setting up with tables. It's simple, but I've dealt with so many tables with busted ground wires (and it's easy to do over time).
I feel your pain with the ground wire setup, I'm using a 909 and its a bitch.

But my only issue with internally grounding is if something went wrong, like for some reason during transport the solder broke or the ground was broken. So now you're at your gig and up poop creek trying to mcgyver your turntable to work. Probably the worst feeling ever to setup your gear and find out you're getting a no signal or a crappy signal. I rented tables once and one of the RCAs jacket came apart from the wire and the RCAs were Monster...lol.

But if I could mod my 12s I'd probably just replace the RCAs and keep the ground wire, but I do like the idea of a female RCA plate. Maybe get them painted but nothing flashy, just stock colours, maybe piano black like the MK5s. Zero click is meh... I have an M3D and don't even notice the difference from my MK2.
Federico Vilas
LED conversion

upgraded rca's BUT if they are good they can install female rca ports and earth plug so you can detach the cables

under platter/pitch led's... that's up to you but you could run into additional buzz in your audio b/c they have to pull more power

pitch control replacement???...not necessary unless your pitch control is broke. If it is a fully working pitch control just have them remove the click and calibrate

i've always removed the quartz but with the option to reverse it incase I need to sale it
Ninfa Mazariegos
Here's a few after pics. You will need to cut and solder the ground cable to the rca ground in the picture. It won't hurt to use the other ground, but a mono headshell won't work, should you decide to use one. The rca cables are now long enough that I can have them come out of the holes between the dust cover mounts and have plenty of slack to run them up my laptop stand and into my audio 10, or be able to set the audio 10 off to the side of my setup, or have both tables to one side of the mixer. Great mod.

2013-04-28 14.18.05.jpg2013-04-28 16.01.33.jpg2013-06-09 17.57.29.jpg
Candy Vardy
viperfrank's vids are excellent. I watched a bunch of his vids while youtubing for information on turntables, and have since recalibrated my 0 - pitch, and recalibrated +8% -8%.

I watched the vids on how to do the ground yourself, but I don't have access to a solder at present, but I will be doing it asap. I'm currently watching the vids on how to strip the turntable down for painting. I believe there are also vids on how to change the lights on the turntables too. Very informative guy with great practical advice to mod your decks! Check them out if you can!
Ninfa Mazariegos
If you can follow directions and use a screw driver, you can do the pitch adjustments yourself if you watch viperfrank's youtube videos and download the technics owner/maintenance manuals. If you can solder, you can easily do the ground wire delete mod and replace the rca's. There was nothing wrong with mine, but it was a pain grounding to my djm 707 and my dvs signal would occasionally drop because the rca's don't plug in very far on my audio 10's inputs. I got a 9' hosa rca for a few bucks and cut in half. It has thicker insulation than factory, but still fit in the clamps. They are also a foot longer than stock, so setup can be more versatile, especially in flight cases.
Candy Vardy

I went for all black with white platter and some white on the tone arm mechanism. Upgraded RCAs and ground, clickless pitch, blue LEDs.

Thanks everyone for the advice, can't wait for these babies to arrive so I can have a spin and get some pics up.
Cool man looking forward to seeing them!
Gaynell Rydberg
Those things are pricey though I really like em too.
Anderson Perzel
It's totally flash but I love my underplatter LEDs. I got multi colored with a remote, they can fade through all colors, and have a mode that'll make them flash to the beat. They're nice in the dark environment of a bar or club, and get a great response from the crowd, especially other DJ's.

http://imgur.com/a/xIGBi#acbNC0Z

http://seenive.com/v/913392340914290688#.UcJlLNgucfg
Dedra Kreinbring

Ervin Calvery
Decided to go for clickless pitch, upgraded RCAs and all black with some white for colour. So excited to get these. Just need to decide on a mixer now. The Z2 is tempting me massively.
Go for it - it's fun!
Dedra Kreinbring
Rupert Maggiano
A painting wich will glow in blacklight would be very nice. Maybe in 3 or 4 different Colors.

Or only the Platter like this One:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=oH0pF...%3DoH0pFh1EKB8
Valery Ellick
If the decks are in mint condition, I would do very little (if any) mods. Why mess with a good thing?
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by xs2man

One set Piano Black
One set White (any recommendations on shade of white? I'm believeing Alpine White)
Upgraded RCA's. (this is a bit of snake oil though, so won't be going too far with the upgrade, just look nicer)
Internal Ground
mk5 pitch sliders

I believe the contrast between one white set, and one piano black set will look nice. But then I do plan on selling one set too once they are all done. I just have to decide which set I prefer once they are finished, lol.
I'd go as white as possible. Figure out how glossy or matte you'd like them to look before you settle on the paint, though.
Tamela Batara

One set Piano Black
Internal Ground
mk5 pitch sliders

Rena Estabrook
I'd just keep it simple. All blue LED and clickless pitch control.
Chet Gatts
Originally Posted by Bassline Brine
If you can, get them internally grounded. That's the one bugger I always hate about setting up with tables. It's simple, but I've dealt with so many tables with busted ground wires (and it's easy to do over time).
I feel your pain with the ground wire setup, I'm using a 909 and its a bitch.

But my only issue with internally grounding is if something went wrong, like for some reason during transport the solder broke or the ground was broken. So now you're at your gig and up poop creek trying to mcgyver your turntable to work. Probably the worst feeling ever to setup your gear and find out you're getting a no signal or a crappy signal. I rented tables once and one of the RCAs jacket came apart from the wire and the RCAs were Monster...lol.

But if I could mod my 12s I'd probably just replace the RCAs and keep the ground wire, but I do like the idea of a female RCA plate. Maybe get them painted but nothing flashy, just stock colours, maybe piano black like the MK5s. Zero click is meh... I have an M3D and don't even notice the difference from my MK2.
Audrey Pinda

Honestly I have come to prefer the MK2 pitch slider... but it's also something I've just become accustomed to. I like being able to feel the zero point without having to look. But it really depends on how you mix.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by Patch
White concords look sick! I was gonna get white headshells for mine, but I really like the little splashes of black on a white 1210.

Looks Storm Troopery...

White chromas look nice!
Thanks, yo. I don't own any headshells at all - I was admiring some the other day, but those in particular were received by the DJ for judging the DMC.

I really like the white chroma caps on my Kontrol F1 controllers. It makes them significantly easier to see and to use. I've backed off on using them on crossfaders, though.
Gaynell Rydberg
Most of those upgrades are 'just because you can'.

The LED upgrades are nice but not necessary. Not extremely difficult to do yourself either. The most useful thing for you is:

External Female RCA plate for removing leads and putting on when needed.
and maybe
New Upgrade MK5 Clickless Pitch sliders with quartz removed

The rest are more for aesthetics or Hi-Fi listening.
Dedra Kreinbring
Haha thanks Patch, but I'm just not looking for white.
Ervin Calvery
Just interested in what other people would get if they were in my position?
You can see what I got - I like clickless pitch, internal grounding, stronger LEDs in colours that I can see, and pitch reset. I got most of those things in my own decks. I would skip the under platter lighting every time.
Brunilda Kora
White concords look sick! I was gonna get white headshells for mine, but I really like the little splashes of black on a white 1210.

Looks Storm Troopery...

White chromas look nice!
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by Patch
I would buy either of these:

Technics 1210 (Pair) - White and Modded (Pair 1of2)
Technics 1210 (Pair) - White and Modded (Pair 2of2)

Bare metal re-spray (professional paint shop)
All LED's have been upgraded to super bright Blue LED's (except for the strobe LED's. I'm old school and I believe strobes should ALWAYS be RED!!! )
BRAND NEW Tonearms on all decks. (New Tonearms, Tonearm base, tone arm height adjustment).
Upgraded (Gold) RCA's and White RCA Cables (Van Damme High Quality Instrument Cable) Snake skin.
Gold Technics Graphics
Upgraded (white) power cables.
Pitch Zero Calibrated
Pitch Range Calibrated.
Brand New (Black) Pitch Trim
Brand New Pitch cloth
All decks with original 45rpm adaptors
Large Technics decal (gold) on the front
Upgraded Ground cable and ground cable connector.

Decks come with Slipmats, headshells and cartridges
Those look a bit like mine:
Brunilda Kora
I would buy either of these:

Technics 1210 (Pair) - White and Modded (Pair 1of2)
Technics 1210 (Pair) - White and Modded (Pair 2of2)

Bare metal re-spray (professional paint shop)
All LED's have been upgraded to super bright Blue LED's (except for the strobe LED's. I'm old school and I believe strobes should ALWAYS be RED!!! )
BRAND NEW Tonearms on all decks. (New Tonearms, Tonearm base, tone arm height adjustment).
Upgraded (Gold) RCA's and White RCA Cables (Van Damme High Quality Instrument Cable) Snake skin.
Gold Technics Graphics
Upgraded (white) power cables.
Pitch Zero Calibrated
Pitch Range Calibrated.
Brand New (Black) Pitch Trim
Brand New Pitch cloth
All decks with original 45rpm adaptors
Large Technics decal (gold) on the front
Upgraded Ground cable and ground cable connector.

Decks come with Slipmats, headshells and cartridges
Alphonso Deitchman
Pop-up LED and clickless pitch are the only useful sounding ones.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy