Basic questions - channel and EQ levels

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Basic questions - channel and EQ levelsReply
Basic questions - channel and EQ levels
Posted on: 29.06.2013 by Malia Janise
I'm curious about some rules of thumb for mixer levels. I'm mainly interested in regards to recording DJ mixes at home, but feel free to chime in if it contrasts settings while playing out.

I use two CDJ900's and an older Rane MP22z mixer. I'm running through my computer's Line-In and recording with Audacity.

• What should my approach be to setting the levels properly? Should I set the channel faders to somewhere slightly less than 0db, and then adjust Audacity's master IN levels so they stay around -6 to -4 in Audacity?

• I find my recorded mixes to be a little muddy when compared to "professional" tracks. I keep my EQ's at 0, but do I need to compensate - perhaps because I'm using lower end gear ? Or is it best to leave EQ' at 0 and fix during post-production? I'm yet to explore mastering. For what it's worth, I export default settings to both WAV and MP3 and both are like this. Example below:

https://soundcloud.com/ever111/unpol...ctice-jam-tech
Malia Janise
I'm curious about some rules of thumb for mixer levels. I'm mainly interested in regards to recording DJ mixes at home, but feel free to chime in if it contrasts settings while playing out.

I use two CDJ900's and an older Rane MP22z mixer. I'm running through my computer's Line-In and recording with Audacity.

• What should my approach be to setting the levels properly? Should I set the channel faders to somewhere slightly less than 0db, and then adjust Audacity's master IN levels so they stay around -6 to -4 in Audacity?

• I find my recorded mixes to be a little muddy when compared to "professional" tracks. I keep my EQ's at 0, but do I need to compensate - perhaps because I'm using lower end gear ? Or is it best to leave EQ' at 0 and fix during post-production? I'm yet to explore mastering. For what it's worth, I export default settings to both WAV and MP3 and both are like this. Example below:

https://soundcloud.com/ever111/unpol...ctice-jam-tech
Latoria Kavulich
Just keep it all out of the red. As i mentioned, it is better to boost the volume up post mix rather than have to deal with clipping. I tend to stick to a couple of levels below peak on my channels.
Malia Janise
Read the whole thread, thanks! And I've added the Audio 4 to my list of goodies to research.

Regarding my mixer, is there a rule of thumb where I should keep channel levels? Knowing that I'll keep Audacity to around -12 DB, where should I keep the faders on the mixer? My mixer goes up to +10.
Latoria Kavulich
Yep, thats what i mean. there is a vid early on in my mastering mixes thread http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=31907
regarding recording through audacity you may find useful.
Probably a couple hundred bucks would get you in a the market for a decent soundcard. I used an Audio 4 for years, if you can find one second hand i'd recommend one for sure.
Malia Janise
Thanks Jester!

Regarding "overall level of -12 to -15db" do you mean in Audacity?

I'd love a new mixer! Soon And I figure I can find it with a quick Google search, but is there a rule of thumb (in your opinion) as to what price decent sound cards begin at - IE, a solid improvement over Line In?

Cheers!
Latoria Kavulich
The mixer will have some bearing on the output quality. e.g recordings on our DJM600 sound like shit compared to my Denon. Also recording via a line in is far from ideal, i see a soundcard in your future
As far as your levels go, get your levels set on the mixer and make your recording level adjustments in the software last. It is always better to record a bit quiet instead of "Hot" .. an overall level of -12 to -15db is fine.
I would definitely consider updating your mixer and picking up a soundcard (with inputs)

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy