Toastmaster's Setup

Toastmaster's Setup
Posted on: 23.06.2012 by Chrissy Kynard
I've decided that I'll probably not be purchasing anything new for a while (gotta let the coffers fill back up), so I decided to post my setup evolution from the beginning, starting with January 8, 2012:

(2 American Audio Radius 1000's and a Q-2422 Pro Mixer)

February 7, 2012, added 2 Crate Speakers, a PCM-8 Amp and a Reloop Play Interface (next pic):

Realized I wasn't going to be a mobile DJ, so I returned the Q-2422 for full refund and used the money to purchase a (then in non-production) MX-1400 for the same price :

February 23, got some stands for the bloody massive speakers finally:

March 28, got an Audio 4 DJ Interface to enable Livestream Broadcasting and recording:

April 10, got a Odyssey Coffin for dirt cheap ($130) since the guy got it at a lost auction sale; mostly for protection, since I'm psychotic about protecting my gear, and to help raise the decks up to save my back (6' 4" ):

June 5, purchased 2 custom Technics SL-1200 MKII for $200 each ( ); moved from my college dorm to my mother's house for the summer:

June 14, DN-X1600 arrived (purchased an Odyssey L-Stand sometime in April); current setup is shown:

I also have some lighting and a stand, but I set that up on a broadcasting basis. Will take pics after broadcast tomorrow. Thanks for checking it out!
Chrissy Kynard
Originally Posted by wewewelee
Thanks a lot!!! You gave me so many useful information. I decide to buy one 2nd hand audio 8 sound card, and that is the best economic way to solve my problem.
Good choice; no need for an expensive mixer if you don't need one. Glad to be of help!
Chrissy Kynard
I saw you ever have audio 4 dj sound card. How do you use it to record your mix set? Because I use Traktor scratch 2 with DVS (2x SL-1200) and audio 4 dj, and DJM-600 mixer to play music, but the limited of sound card that I can't record my set. Could you give me some advices? Is it necessary to change to audio 8/10 or other digital mixer? (DJM-850/900..etc) Thanks a lot!
I use my Audio 4 DJ interface solely for broadcasting sets, now that I have my new mixer, which has a 96 KHz internal soundcard. I can route my turntable's timecode to Traktor by feeding the turntable's phono input into the mixer and routing them to traktor as deck inputs. Without this mixer, I wouldn't have enough inputs to be able to record mixes and do DVS at once. So, in your situation you have 3 options:

1. You can get a new mixer with an internal soundcard and is Traktor Scratch Certified. This should allow you to route the turntable's timecode phono input into the mixer and assign it as a deck input in Traktor. This will allow you to control decks with timecode and you can use your Audio 4 DJ to record sets (as I do). You can also route your mixer output back into the mixer as an input, assign that input to a deck and tell traktor to record audio from that deck, if you really want to get rid of your Audio 4 after the mixer purchase.

2. You can get a new soundcard that has one more input (Audio 6 DJ, 8 or 10); you can now do DVS and record just because of more inputs.

3. Little more iffy but, if you have a desktop or laptop with a line in 1/8" jack, you can get a RCA to 1/8" cord and route your mixer output to that jack. Your Audio 4 DJ is used for DVS input and the RCA to 1/8" jack routes the mixer output to your computer's internal soundcard, allowing you to record your set with the computer's internal soundcard. Make sure the jack is LINE IN and not MIC, otherwise you'll have terrible sound quality in the mic input is usually mono and less than 44 KHz.

Hopefully this helps and sorry for the long explanation; just wanted to cover all the bases! Let me know what decision you made!
Chrissy Kynard
Originally Posted by d.julius
What do you believe about the Radius 1000 ? ( Really nice Setup )
It's definitely a nice little deck. More than a beginner deck, but not as nice as Pioneer or Denon. The MIDI capabilities are great, due to the large amount of MIDI-sending buttons. The onboard FX are mediocre, but not too cheesy, and the decks are very plastic feeling; the play and cue are a little iffy as well. Can play CDs and MP3s, along with being MIDI. All in all, its a fantastic deck for the price; I got lucky and was able to buy 2 for $300 total but I believe they are around 300 each usually - definitely worth the money for that price. Have only had them for about 6 months so I'm not sure about the quality.
Chrissy Kynard
Originally Posted by Carb0n
Not bad, I wasn't sure at first how it would look.
It's definitely unique, reminds me of something djFrogstar would do.
That's exactly how I felt when I saw the pictures on the ad; when you see it in person, the effect is amazing and makes you disregard your hesitation entirely. It's unfortunate I can't share the feeling appropriately.
Werner Bile
Nice pickup.
Chrissy Kynard
Got myself an Akai APC40 for future production in Abelton and for use as a portable Traktor controller for very small get-togethers with friends and such. Used and in perfect condition for $180! Currently creating a map from the ground up for Traktor.

Also will be moving into my new apartment dorm in a week. Will post update photos when fully set up!
Osvaldo Newhall
Those Techs at $200 a piece is a very good deal man. They look fresh too. Great catch and congrats!
Chrissy Kynard
Bought a drawing at Utah's biggest arts festival recently; finally hung it up for inspiration and awesomeness while mixing.

Chrissy Kynard
Thanks a lot!!! You gave me so many useful information. I decide to buy one 2nd hand audio 8 sound card, and that is the best economic way to solve my problem.
Good choice; no need for an expensive mixer if you don't need one. Glad to be of help!
Jerold Mckeith
Chrissy Kynard
I saw you ever have audio 4 dj sound card. How do you use it to record your mix set? Because I use Traktor scratch 2 with DVS (2x SL-1200) and audio 4 dj, and DJM-600 mixer to play music, but the limited of sound card that I can't record my set. Could you give me some advices? Is it necessary to change to audio 8/10 or other digital mixer? (DJM-850/900..etc) Thanks a lot!
I use my Audio 4 DJ interface solely for broadcasting sets, now that I have my new mixer, which has a 96 KHz internal soundcard. I can route my turntable's timecode to Traktor by feeding the turntable's phono input into the mixer and routing them to traktor as deck inputs. Without this mixer, I wouldn't have enough inputs to be able to record mixes and do DVS at once. So, in your situation you have 3 options:

1. You can get a new mixer with an internal soundcard and is Traktor Scratch Certified. This should allow you to route the turntable's timecode phono input into the mixer and assign it as a deck input in Traktor. This will allow you to control decks with timecode and you can use your Audio 4 DJ to record sets (as I do). You can also route your mixer output back into the mixer as an input, assign that input to a deck and tell traktor to record audio from that deck, if you really want to get rid of your Audio 4 after the mixer purchase.

2. You can get a new soundcard that has one more input (Audio 6 DJ, 8 or 10); you can now do DVS and record just because of more inputs.

3. Little more iffy but, if you have a desktop or laptop with a line in 1/8" jack, you can get a RCA to 1/8" cord and route your mixer output to that jack. Your Audio 4 DJ is used for DVS input and the RCA to 1/8" jack routes the mixer output to your computer's internal soundcard, allowing you to record your set with the computer's internal soundcard. Make sure the jack is LINE IN and not MIC, otherwise you'll have terrible sound quality in the mic input is usually mono and less than 44 KHz.

Hopefully this helps and sorry for the long explanation; just wanted to cover all the bases! Let me know what decision you made!
Jerold Mckeith
Chrissy Kynard
My setup is not mounted or restricted to my settlement; I try to do house parties and events as much as possible and I have to take my entire setup with me, literally. This is why I have a coffin for my mixer and CDJs, turntable cases (recent, no pics yet since I don't have the room yet), a folding table, speaker stands, etc. Even so, I'm hoping to make a little more permanent booth at my place and have the table and other case gear for transport (or height elevation).
Tobi Rabuse
I like your setup and stuff. Some really nice gear... But, what's the point in not being a mobile DJ? Every DJ has to mobile, some just have to lug around more stuff at the expense of having better gear.
Wallace Lawmaster
psychedelic, haha. cool setup.
Kemberly Kiffer
Great set up
Micha Tollas
In france this deck is at 230 euros per unit .. It's really cheap for the fonctions ! So thanks for your opinion
Chrissy Kynard
Originally Posted by d.julius
It's definitely a nice little deck. More than a beginner deck, but not as nice as Pioneer or Denon. The MIDI capabilities are great, due to the large amount of MIDI-sending buttons. The onboard FX are mediocre, but not too cheesy, and the decks are very plastic feeling; the play and cue are a little iffy as well. Can play CDs and MP3s, along with being MIDI. All in all, its a fantastic deck for the price; I got lucky and was able to buy 2 for $300 total but I believe they are around 300 each usually - definitely worth the money for that price. Have only had them for about 6 months so I'm not sure about the quality.
Micha Tollas
Chrissy Kynard
Originally Posted by Carb0n
That's exactly how I felt when I saw the pictures on the ad; when you see it in person, the effect is amazing and makes you disregard your hesitation entirely. It's unfortunate I can't share the feeling appropriately.
Janella Roushey
Chrissy Kynard
Hopefully this video does it some justice. Not the best since the UV messes with the camera's light capture, but its the best I could do without turning on the lights and ruining much of the effect.

Janella Roushey
Originally Posted by Toastmaster
(might post a vid).
Please do, I dont believe the pictures quite do it justice.
Chrissy Kynard
Thanks! I was iffy on the paint job when I saw the pics from the seller, but when I got there, I saw the awesomeness they were. The paint is UV reactive watercolor (so you can remove it if you want to) and the calibration, target, pitch zero and 33 RPM lights are all UV LEDS. As such, the platter luminescence when on and the design of the paint makes it look like its flowing acid. So goddamn cool (might post a vid).
Terra Merigold
Like the paint job on the techniques... Wow yea that's a funny pic with your huge speakers setup like nearfield monitors...
Erich Vallabhaneni
nice setup man
Chrissy Kynard
Lighting Stand and lights - from left to right: Vertigo Tri-LED Moonflower, Snap Shot Strobe, and Micro Galaxian Laser:

Chrissy Kynard
Thanks everybody! Yeah those speakers are so heavy (maybe 40 lbs each at least); ears are usually fine - can't raise the volume up too loud anyway, lest the "fun police" (AKA Mother) or the real police be bashing down my door.
Werner Bile
very nice
Sylvia Greener
Nice setup! And most importantly:
Heavy speakers! Be careful you don't blow your ears, mate
Norah Legowski
very nice gear!

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS