protocollie's setup

protocollie's setup
Posted on: 28.08.2012 by Laurence Calisto
hey, everyone!

i'm relatively new here but figured i'd say hello by joining the setup discussion and posting what i have and where i'm going. i've looked through pretty much everyone else's setups back 2 pages and there's some SERIOUSLY cool and creative stuff going on here. i can tell i'm in good company.

i've been djing for about 10 years, personally - since around 2000-2001ish, and producing for about as long, too (though I'm not nearly as good at that!) lately my setup's been very well tailored towards production.

this is my dj setup atm (the apc40 and maschine hop in and out based on how i feel.)

IMG_0050.jpg

i've consolidated the mess behind a bunch and for producing now, i've eliminated a lot of the noise:

IMG_0062.jpg

i'm moving from the s4 to 4 cdjs and a djm2000, i have 2 of them now and the rest is coming in over the next few months... very exciting! i'll post photos once i figure out how to set that all up in a way that stuff's still conducive to producing. i really like the s4 but in general i'm finding myself pining for the feeling i used to have back in the day when i played on vinyl and the CDJs are the only thing that have really given me that full feel - i'm hoping i'll be able to continue using traktor midi-synced to the djm to do some really cool stuff though

and since i'm shameless like this, i'd like to show off one of my favorite dj accessories

IMG_0149.jpg

lil girl loves her techno

anyway, nice to meet you all!
Laurence Calisto
Originally Posted by Seku
What's up protocollie, good to see you again (in case you're wondering, we've met in-person back in '09).

Your new setup looks awesome btw, I've wanted that same setup for a good while now myself but can't afford it just yet.

(This was the starter set I got after seeing your essentials demonstration back in 09).
DSC01071[1].jpg

(This was what I got after much practice and saving up..still sad I had to sell the Mk3's ).
DSC01187.jpg

(And this is what I've got now).
SDC11705.jpg

The DDJ is temporary til I can afford the CDJ's, but I'm making it work.

Really hoping to get to catch another set from you sometime soon! Just been too busy as of late.
Wow, haha! Sorry for the long delay, haven't been around in a while. I'm sure you'll see me somewhere in the future. I took a year or so hiatus but I'm back. Also, nice setup.
Byron Moutoux
What's up protocollie, good to see you again (in case you're wondering, we've met in-person back in '09).

Your new setup looks awesome btw, I've wanted that same setup for a good while now myself but can't afford it just yet.

(This was the starter set I got after seeing your essentials demonstration back in 09).
DSC01071[1].jpg

(This was what I got after much practice and saving up..still sad I had to sell the Mk3's ).
DSC01187.jpg

SDC11705.jpg

Really hoping to get to catch another set from you sometime soon! Just been too busy as of late.
Laurence Calisto
Originally Posted by lucasmanning
you shouldn't have your production desk set up in the corner like that mate.

Sweeeet setup though !
you can't see but right to the right of the desk is a big door. unfortunately, space is at a premium here.
Laurence Calisto
IMG_0175.jpg

had to show off the new toys, this has replaced my s4 now.
Laurence Calisto
Originally Posted by Crowd3ontrol
Crazy setup! Where did you get that desk? I totally love it
Guitar center, actually! It's called a creation station or something similar... if you look under studio furniture on their site they sell it, and it's gone down a lot in price since I snagged it (I'd say it's about $200 now?) It's pretty damn sturdy, though full disclosure I have a few complaints about the amount of space it takes up vs. the amount of desk space you actually get.
Laurence Calisto
Originally Posted by Lilac
Welcome to the community s buddy.
thank you very much!
Laurence Calisto
hey, everyone!

i'm relatively new here but figured i'd say hello by joining the setup discussion and posting what i have and where i'm going. i've looked through pretty much everyone else's setups back 2 pages and there's some SERIOUSLY cool and creative stuff going on here. i can tell i'm in good company.

i've been djing for about 10 years, personally - since around 2000-2001ish, and producing for about as long, too (though I'm not nearly as good at that!) lately my setup's been very well tailored towards production.

this is my dj setup atm (the apc40 and maschine hop in and out based on how i feel.)

IMG_0050.jpg

i've consolidated the mess behind a bunch and for producing now, i've eliminated a lot of the noise:

IMG_0062.jpg

i'm moving from the s4 to 4 cdjs and a djm2000, i have 2 of them now and the rest is coming in over the next few months... very exciting! i'll post photos once i figure out how to set that all up in a way that stuff's still conducive to producing. i really like the s4 but in general i'm finding myself pining for the feeling i used to have back in the day when i played on vinyl and the CDJs are the only thing that have really given me that full feel - i'm hoping i'll be able to continue using traktor midi-synced to the djm to do some really cool stuff though

and since i'm shameless like this, i'd like to show off one of my favorite dj accessories

IMG_0149.jpg

lil girl loves her techno

anyway, nice to meet you all!
Laurence Calisto
Originally Posted by Seku

DSC01071[1].jpg

DSC01187.jpg

SDC11705.jpg

Wow, haha! Sorry for the long delay, haven't been around in a while. I'm sure you'll see me somewhere in the future. I took a year or so hiatus but I'm back. Also, nice setup.
Byron Moutoux

DSC01071[1].jpg

DSC01187.jpg

SDC11705.jpg

Laurence Calisto
Originally Posted by lucasmanning

Sweeeet setup though !
you can't see but right to the right of the desk is a big door. unfortunately, space is at a premium here.
Vikki Jeannoel

Sweeeet setup though !
Laurence Calisto
IMG_0175.jpg

had to show off the new toys, this has replaced my s4 now.
Laurence Calisto
jayo: thank you for the insight! i will fix the arrangement when I get home i prefer the look of that arrangement (and the sound to be perfectly honest) but I might as well get the best from my hardware. I'm not really a sound engineering guy beyond the bare essentials needed to get the job done, so that's really good to know.

diepotato: for my purposes, it's sufficient. i'm by no means someone capable of playing keyboard, really, i bang out my hooks and chords on it and flesh out ideas but i'm not a pianist by any stretch of the imagination. I find it more pleasant than my previous controller (a korg microkontrol) and roomy for my big fingers but I also am not blown away by it. Also, the octave down button mysteriously seems to have broken on its own time and sunk into the device and occasionally triggers on its own - not the best!

However, for the price, with the AUs it ships with, I still feel like it was a good deal.
Evie Baghdasarian
The right and left side of the monitors face the ceiling and floor, where as they should face the right and left wall.
Evie Baghdasarian
With high end monitors there is a switch the change the stereo field so that you can lay them on their side and still get the same effect. However if your monitors do not have this switch, then when you panned right, the sound would not move right, but move towards the floor. And if you panned left, it would go towards the ceiling.
Haywood Stoeger
Hey man really nice setup how do you find the arturia controller????
Laurence Calisto
i'm not 100% sure what you're talking about here; i've seen studios with both configurations and feel as if this isn't uncommon. i'm not sure what you mean by 'up or down', could you explain further?

i'm not trying to be difficult i just legitimately am confused but obviously want optimal sound.
Evie Baghdasarian
Nice but of kit you have there. However i believe your monitor setup is less then ideal as anything that is panned left or right will now be up or down because they are laid on their side.
Johanna Marckel
Haha love the cat pic
Nanci Loup
Ha ha ha ha...awesome kitty kat pic!!
Laurence Calisto
Originally Posted by Crowd3ontrol
Guitar center, actually! It's called a creation station or something similar... if you look under studio furniture on their site they sell it, and it's gone down a lot in price since I snagged it (I'd say it's about $200 now?) It's pretty damn sturdy, though full disclosure I have a few complaints about the amount of space it takes up vs. the amount of desk space you actually get.
Johnna Callery
welcome..and great cat! My two like to DJ as well
Tonisha Rayman
Erich Vallabhaneni
great setup man! and cool ass cat
Laurence Calisto
Originally Posted by Lilac
Welcome to the community s buddy.
thank you very much!
Ossie Pooley
Sweet setup man! Very nice!