My First Turntables, for

My First Turntables, for
Posted on: 07.06.2013 by Amelia Supe
Just got my first set of Turtables, won them for
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by ibmxcraig
never knew that! i thought with the Digital Vinyl System's you could only use the timecode vinyl's. I might have a look into it then
Nope It depends on which software you're using... Traktor accepts live input, as does Virtual DJ; apparently Mixxx doesn't YET and I'm not sure about Deckadance.
Amelia Supe
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
You don't even need to use a DVS setup; with most DJ software you can route real vinyl's audio into the software using the live input mode, and then apply software FX, filters, and EQing to it.
never knew that! i thought with the Digital Vinyl System's you could only use the timecode vinyl's. I might have a look into it then
Amelia Supe
Originally Posted by makar1
You'll be wanting a simple 2 channel hardware mixer if you ever mix normal vinyl.
I've been looking at the Behringer NOX404 recently. looks like quite a nice & decent 2-ch mixer
Doreen Schurle
Well I was gonna look at getting DVS but i believe i'd rather just use actual vinyl's rather than timecode. What are the benefits of DVS?
You don't even need to use a DVS setup; with most DJ software you can route real vinyl's audio into the software using the live input mode, and then apply software FX, filters, and EQing to it. Only things which will unavailable are transport functions like cuepoints, loops and beatjumping. A nice benefit is that you get FULL access to things like crossfader curve adjustment and cue/mix, which a cheaper hardware mixer might not have.
Amelia Supe
That hole is for calibration of the pitchfader; there's a little screw/pot in there which you can adjust with a jeweller's screwdriver. Usually unnecessary though.

The pitch bend buttons should be to the bottom left of the fader, although tbh they're a pain in the backside and not worth bothering with.

My first ever pair of decks were XL-500IIs as well; cost
Doreen Schurle
That hole is for calibration of the pitchfader; there's a little screw/pot in there which you can adjust with a jeweller's screwdriver. Usually unnecessary though.

The pitch bend buttons should be to the bottom left of the fader, although tbh they're a pain in the backside and not worth bothering with.

Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by kooper1980
Pitch bend buttons? on turntables? is that a thing?
Yep, my Stanton STR8-100's have em.

and they work too!

Len Lukawski
Originally Posted by SwedeDreams
Tips for mixing?
Get a mixer.
Lololololol
Amelia Supe
I'll get you a picture of where they should be when i'm back home

Anybody had experience with the Behringer nox404?
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by Patch
If the pitch bend buttons are missing, you COULD fill the holes and re-paint the turntable.

Or - you could do what you SHOULD do, and just MIX!
Amelia Supe
They look VERY MUCH like Technics.

Congrats on a bargain -
Amelia Supe
Tips for mixing?
Get a mixer.
haha looking at a 2-channel behringer nox404 at the end of the month, heard some alright things about them.

Originally Posted by HighTopFade
Good deal. Play some records.
Got a small collection atm Love Discogs.com! I'll post up a pic of them later
Brunilda Kora

Congrats on a bargain -
Amelia Supe
Just got my first set of Turtables, won them for
Alphonso Deitchman
You can of course apply filters and EQ using a standalone mixer without the latency+possible gain issues involved with routing through software. Either way, you'll want some sort of hardware mixer.
Doreen Schurle
Nope It depends on which software you're using... Traktor accepts live input, as does Virtual DJ; apparently Mixxx doesn't YET and I'm not sure about Deckadance.
Amelia Supe
You don't even need to use a DVS setup; with most DJ software you can route real vinyl's audio into the software using the live input mode, and then apply software FX, filters, and EQing to it.
Amelia Supe
Originally Posted by makar1
You'll be wanting a simple 2 channel hardware mixer if you ever mix normal vinyl.
I've been looking at the Behringer NOX404 recently. looks like quite a nice & decent 2-ch mixer
Doreen Schurle
Well I was gonna look at getting DVS but i believe i'd rather just use actual vinyl's rather than timecode. What are the benefits of DVS?
You don't even need to use a DVS setup; with most DJ software you can route real vinyl's audio into the software using the live input mode, and then apply software FX, filters, and EQing to it. Only things which will unavailable are transport functions like cuepoints, loops and beatjumping. A nice benefit is that you get FULL access to things like crossfader curve adjustment and cue/mix, which a cheaper hardware mixer might not have.
Alphonso Deitchman
Amelia Supe

Doreen Schurle

Lilliana Perris
Yep, my Stanton STR8-100's have em.

and they work too!

Len Lukawski
Tips for mixing?
Get a mixer.
Lololololol
Amelia Supe
I'll get you a picture of where they should be when i'm back home

Anybody had experience with the Behringer nox404?
Kristofer Krauel
If the pitch bend buttons are missing, you COULD fill the holes and re-paint the turntable.

Brunilda Kora

Amelia Supe

Congrats on a bargain -
Amelia Supe
Tips for mixing?
Get a mixer.
haha looking at a 2-channel behringer nox404 at the end of the month, heard some alright things about them.

Originally Posted by HighTopFade
Got a small collection atm Love Discogs.com! I'll post up a pic of them later
Brunilda Kora

Congrats on a bargain -
Rena Estabrook
Georgie Lukowiak
Tips for mixing?
Get a mixer.
Gaynell Rydberg