Reply to IKEA Desk Build Log

IKEA Desk Build Log
Hello DJTT.

First off, major shoutout to Xonetacular and the DJTechTools blog for posting up this engineering gem. I recently went out to my local IKEA ("local" being about 4 hours away from me) and purchased the parts posted up in the blog article on this. For newcomers who are totally confused, here is the project I am referring to:

http://www.djranking s.com/2011/10/1...om-ikea-parts/

Original community post from Xonetacular can be found here:

http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=36997

A few things I learned from this project right off the bat:

1.) IKEA IS F**KING HUGE!!!
2.) Ask where the stuff is. I had to ask at least 3 employees where certain things are. I never would have found them otherwise.
3.) Use a good drill. It will save you a lot of frustration later down the line.
4.) This thing is BIG. I mean, if you live in an apartment, be prepared to move furniture around to make room for this project.
5.) Once you attach the two bookcases together, it will not fit through a standard-sized doorway. Meaning if you want to get it in/out of the room once its assembled, you'll have to disassemble it, move it, then reassemble it.
6.) The cardinal rule of any DIY/project: Measure twice, cut/drill once.

Parts used:

1 pair of CAPITA angled legs
1 LACK wall shelf 43"
2 EXPEDIT bookcases
3 LILLANGER leg frames
1 Sylvania Mosaic LED light strip
8 steel plates from Lowe's

Tools used:

9.6v cordless drill
"standard size" Philips-head screwdriver (magnet head is preferable)
Allen wrench set (not required, but handy)
12.7mm/ 1/2in hole saw bit
1 1/4in hole saw bit (not required)
Hammer/mallet

Initial IKEA buy was $288 USD. I opted for the LILLANGER leg frames over the straight CAPITA legs from the article, and those have since gone up from $25 to $30 since the article was written. This contributed to the cost. I am glad I did, and you will soon see why.

I piled all this stuff into the back of my Honda CR-V after dropping the back seats down, and I was off. I got home and unloaded the stuff, and here is where our project begins.
You need to login in order to write on our forum

<< Cancel

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy