The Passionate DJ Podcast (Discussion/Interviews on DJing, Promoting, Fulfillment)

Home :: REMIX section. Mistapes, Podcasts, Breaks, and Soundcloud links :: The Passionate DJ Podcast (Discussion/Interviews on DJing, Promoting, Fulfillment)Reply
The Passionate DJ Podcast (Discussion/Interviews on DJing, Promoting, Fulfillment)
Posted on: 15.07.2013 by Merlyn Birchfield
Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you all in on my newest project, the Passionate DJ Podcast. This is not a music podcast, but more of a "talk radio" type of format where we discuss (and interview people about) DJing, promotions, fulfillment, and all things related to becoming a better DJ through passion and purpose.

Provided it's okay with the mods, I will post new episodes in this thread along with a download link. You will also be able to stream it directly from my blog, or to subscribe to it (once it's approved on iTunes).

This is the first time I've done anything like this, so I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions!

Podcast Episodes:

PDJ 001 - Introducing The Passionate DJ Podcast! (July 15, 2013)
PDJ 002 - How To Build Buzz Instead of Hype, and Why (August 05, 2013)
PDJ 003 - Small Time Promoter Tips w/Jessica “Fortune” Fenner (pt. 1) (September 19, 2013)
PDJ 004 - Small Time Promoter Tips w/Jessica “Fortune” Fenner (pt. 2) (September 23, 2013)
PDJ 005 - Life of a Full-Time DJ & The State of Modern Trance w/Airwave (October 23, 2013)

Help Out The Show!

I would be absolutely thrilled if you would take just a minute to leave a quick rating and honest review of the podcast on iTunes. It would be extremely helpful for the show, and the feedback is useful for me as I create future episodes.

- Click here to leave an honest review on iTunes!

If you would like to give me some more direct feedback, or just say hi, you can email me directly: david (at) passionatedj (dot) com.

I'm also really trying to build my social network, as I love interacting with my audience. Please like/follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

Special Thanks!

I just want to take a second to thank the DJTechTools staff for providing such a great platform (blog and community ) and allowing me to share my episodes here. And you, the listeners, who are giving it a chance. You guys are all awesome!
Ilana Enderson
Originally Posted by Landsnark
Any Drum-n-Bass heads in the house?

Episode 006 of the podcast will be coming out soon, and will feature an interview with the one-and-only AK1200. He has a lot of great insight to share, so definitely keep your eyes peeled!

Looking forward! Enjoying the series so far.
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by tricks
Awesome! Subscribed. Anyone know of any similar podcasts?
Thanks, tricks!

I hunted around and couldn't find any, which is why I started this one. If there are any others I'd be glad to know!

I'm also going to try and ramp up the frequency of episodes. I have about 3 interviews queued up, but not yet recorded. Stay tuned!
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by rdej47
That's an awesome info graph, thanks man =)
No problem, I'm glad you like it. It's new for me so I wasn't sure how it'd go over. In the future, I'm going to try to make them a bit more "Facebook friendly".
Johnsie Kingrea
Hey guys... just a quick update to thank you for making the Airwave interview my most listened podcast yet! (Sure, there's only 5 episodes so far, but I'm still excited!)

Keep your eyes peeled for a new episode coming soon, but in the meantime, here's a little infographic I put together... let me know what you believe!

Here's the easier to read version (resizing made it a little blurry...)

Once again...thanks!
Merlyn Birchfield
PDJ 005 - Life of a Full-Time DJ & The State of Modern Trance w/Laurent V
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by ichitaka
Great idea for a podcast! just subscribed @ iTunes and i'm exited to hear it the next day!
Thanks for the subscribe! I'd appreciate an honest review in iTunes too, if you can take the time.

See you tomorrow!
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by Dj Noriddim
When I saw this podcast, I was quite excited to see a podcast used as a means to assist others in becoming better DJs. I immediately downloaded and started listening intently seeking any information that I can apply to my career.We all want to be better Dj’s and we all want to attain that level of greatness that is unique to each of us. We have blogs, videos, software, books and other sources of information assisting us in attaining this goal. A lot of the information provided these days are usually the same in context. While it always nice to see news and reviews, information on the psychology of what makes a Great Dj is scarce. This is what makes this podcast great and immediately hooked my attention. The approach is from the inside out.

Episode one clearly outlines the podcaster's philosophies and gives the listener a summary of what to expect from this podcast. The introduction is excellent and well produced, and it sets the tone of professionalism, building an instant confidence and rapport with you as a listener. Believe me he does not disappoint you as a listener. The content is well structured, accurate and congruent with the outlined philosophies which are, provide value, know your purpose for Djing, do what is best for your this includes choosing the right gig and gear and believe outside the box when it comes to finding the right gig. Over the course of the podcast, each point is presented with precision and detail transitioning into the next effortlessly.

It is my honest opinion this a great start for a podcast of this type. The podcast is imparting information while engaging the audience, prompting us to believe about ourselves on a deeper level, a hallmark of great self-help and motivational content. Is it perfect? No. However, the podcaster has achieved his goal and presented a podcast that displays his passion and philosophies in an excellent manner. As a listener I enjoyed every minute of the podcast and was enlightened. The improvements I feel to be made are very small compared to the product that was presented so I choose to advise the podcaster personally without listing them in this review.

This podcast is definitely a must listen for anyone wishing to improve in their DJ career.
Wow!

Thanks Dj Noriddim... I don't even know what to say. The fact that you took the time to write such an in-depth review really means a lot. I'm really glad that you're finding it valuable!

By the way, those suggestions of improvement... small as they may be... feel free to let me know any time what they are (either here or in a PM). I want to strive to make it the best it can be.

Originally Posted by Wise
I am looking forward to listening to this for relaxing, vacation, etc. Excited!
Awesome! Let me know what you believe!

I have a couple of great interview sessions lined up, which I'm putting the show notes together for now. Can't wait to share!
Merlyn Birchfield
I'm excited to see this and while I have not listened to the podcast I will be listening to it and apply this knowledge to my life and career. Thank you for your assistance.
Thanks a ton... I hope that you find it useful. If you do (or you don't), please let me know! I could always use the feedback!

Speaking of feedback: to those of you who are finding value in these podcasts, it would be extremely helpful if you would leave me an honest review and rating in iTunes. This will help to get the podcast in front of people who are searching/browsing around. Not only that, but it will help me know what you like and dislike, so that I can keep it in mind for future episodes. I would be very much appreciative!
Merlyn Birchfield
Thanks DarioJ and LiamC, I'm glad you are enjoying!

I just noticed the thread got moved to a new sub-community . I'm a little disappointed because I'm afraid it won't be noticed for what it is - a talk radio style podcast, rather than another mix series. I understand the decision to move it though. This is a thread that gets bumped a lot and they probably don't want it cluttering up General Discussion.

That being said, maybe it is getting put in front of a few new sets of eyes now. If that describes you...welcome and enjoy!
Judi Sissel
Just started listening to the episodes. Love it so far. AK1200 is awesome, can't wait for more!
Ilana Enderson

Episode 006 of the podcast will be coming out soon, and will feature an interview with the one-and-only AK1200. He has a lot of great insight to share, so definitely keep your eyes peeled!

Looking forward! Enjoying the series so far.
Merlyn Birchfield

Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by tricks
Thanks, tricks!

I hunted around and couldn't find any, which is why I started this one. If there are any others I'd be glad to know!

I'm also going to try and ramp up the frequency of episodes. I have about 3 interviews queued up, but not yet recorded. Stay tuned!
Pierre Aliseo
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by rdej47
No problem, I'm glad you like it. It's new for me so I wasn't sure how it'd go over. In the future, I'm going to try to make them a bit more "Facebook friendly".
Johnsie Kingrea
Hey guys... just a quick update to thank you for making the Airwave interview my most listened podcast yet! (Sure, there's only 5 episodes so far, but I'm still excited!)

Keep your eyes peeled for a new episode coming soon, but in the meantime, here's a little infographic I put together... let me know what you believe!

Once again...thanks!
Merlyn Birchfield

Once again...thanks!
Merlyn Birchfield
PDJ 005 - Life of a Full-Time DJ & The State of Modern Trance w/Laurent V
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by ichitaka
Great idea for a podcast! just subscribed @ iTunes and i'm exited to hear it the next day!
Thanks for the subscribe! I'd appreciate an honest review in iTunes too, if you can take the time.

See you tomorrow!
Fatimah Czuprynski
Merlyn Birchfield
Hello, all. Update time!

I'm excited to announce that episode 5 of the podcast will go live this coming Wednesday. The title is, The Life of a Full-Time DJ & The State of Modern Trance featuring Laurent Verronez, better known as Airwave. Laurent has some great insight and words of encouragement to share with you all.

This episode is pretty special to me, as someone who got into this whole thing via trance music back in the day. Over the years, I have found myself separated from a lot of modern so-called trance sounds, but Airwave truly makes some killer, dark, underground sounds that help me remember what brought me here in the first place.

Check out his track "Atlas Winds" if you're not already hip to it, while you're waiting for episode 5.

Stay tuned!
Merlyn Birchfield
When I saw this podcast, I was quite excited to see a podcast used as a means to assist others in becoming better DJs. I immediately downloaded and started listening intently seeking any information that I can apply to my career.We all want to be better Dj’s and we all want to attain that level of greatness that is unique to each of us. We have blogs, videos, software, books and other sources of information assisting us in attaining this goal. A lot of the information provided these days are usually the same in context. While it always nice to see news and reviews, information on the psychology of what makes a Great Dj is scarce. This is what makes this podcast great and immediately hooked my attention. The approach is from the inside out.

Episode one clearly outlines the podcaster's philosophies and gives the listener a summary of what to expect from this podcast. The introduction is excellent and well produced, and it sets the tone of professionalism, building an instant confidence and rapport with you as a listener. Believe me he does not disappoint you as a listener. The content is well structured, accurate and congruent with the outlined philosophies which are, provide value, know your purpose for Djing, do what is best for your this includes choosing the right gig and gear and believe outside the box when it comes to finding the right gig. Over the course of the podcast, each point is presented with precision and detail transitioning into the next effortlessly.

It is my honest opinion this a great start for a podcast of this type. The podcast is imparting information while engaging the audience, prompting us to believe about ourselves on a deeper level, a hallmark of great self-help and motivational content. Is it perfect? No. However, the podcaster has achieved his goal and presented a podcast that displays his passion and philosophies in an excellent manner. As a listener I enjoyed every minute of the podcast and was enlightened. The improvements I feel to be made are very small compared to the product that was presented so I choose to advise the podcaster personally without listing them in this review.

This podcast is definitely a must listen for anyone wishing to improve in their DJ career.
Wow!

Thanks Dj Noriddim... I don't even know what to say. The fact that you took the time to write such an in-depth review really means a lot. I'm really glad that you're finding it valuable!

By the way, those suggestions of improvement... small as they may be... feel free to let me know any time what they are (either here or in a PM). I want to strive to make it the best it can be.

Originally Posted by Wise
Awesome! Let me know what you believe!

I have a couple of great interview sessions lined up, which I'm putting the show notes together for now. Can't wait to share!
Gracia Vandivner
Dominque Strosser

Merlyn Birchfield
I'm excited to see this and while I have not listened to the podcast I will be listening to it and apply this knowledge to my life and career. Thank you for your assistance.
Thanks a ton... I hope that you find it useful. If you do (or you don't), please let me know! I could always use the feedback!

Speaking of feedback: to those of you who are finding value in these podcasts, it would be extremely helpful if you would leave me an honest review and rating in iTunes. This will help to get the podcast in front of people who are searching/browsing around. Not only that, but it will help me know what you like and dislike, so that I can keep it in mind for future episodes. I would be very much appreciative!
Dominque Strosser
Merlyn Birchfield
Special Bonus – Jessica’s Notes About Gender & Sexism in the Scene

Jessica was gracious enough to provide us with two articles she wrote and published on her Facebook wall regarding gender issues in the scene. I hope that you will take the time to read them, as they provide some very good insight from someone who has an inside view. These are unedited posts directly from the source. Thanks so much, Jessica!

Sexy female DJ vs Talented female DJ

May 10, 2011 at 1:35pm

Post from a recent discussion asking when i noticed the 2 female dj camps. My point was both can exist. And that we have been groomed to judge different types of sexiness as directly reflecting different levels of skill/intelligence. A major part of why I chose to do a semi-nude dj shoot was to illustrate, & contradict that.

I didnt see many female djs when i started djing period. Super Jane girls were super fly, Reid Speed too.. and that was about it. But we were all still ravers rocking cute androgynous raver fashion! Then Djing reached a mainstream saturation point & the gimmicks (top 40/female/celebrity djs) erupted.

I played into the sex symbol vs artist dichotomy, judging the Heavy Grinders & DJ Raps without actually paying proper attention. For close to a decade I literally only wore pants & sneakers even though internally i had far outgrown the raver uniform! I didnt want the attention or the image – i wanted to be taken seriously.

With age however I became more comfortable with my woman-hood & the temporary gifts of my physical. I wanted to rock my body how I felt, alongside my mental, spiritual and artistic side – instead of worrying how I’d be viewed. It took some growth to feel I no longer have to prove my genuine passion – if people dont know how lethally serious i am by now, then they’re not paying attention, & thats ok!

I began to consider how may other females, not just djs, feel the same way and maybe dont even realise it.. and why? I’m pretty sure that all of us enjoy being sexy. Unfortunately an oppressive mindset says “be sexy, in this certain way, up to this level, or your other talents become void, you become only your body”. Most of us follow the rules; some buy cleavage enhancing bras, but would never let a nipple show through a shirt (who can profit from the natural sexiness of nipples?!). Others subdue their sexiness to avoid seeming untalented or dumb enough to play into the meat-market scenario. Either way, the great power that comes with the female form has been decimated by equating it with dumbness. It’s a mindset born from the dynamics of a male dominated society, but one we are all guilty of perpetuating.

If women stopped being groomed to be conscious 24/7 of what others believe when they look at them.. or twisting themselves into a (male run) media image.. or trying to become something that they believe will land them Mr. Right .. the world would change.

If women harnessed & rocked their full mental, emotional & physical power, rather than suppressing it, the world would explode!

Why I’m Sexist

September 6, 2011 at 1:25am

A friend bought up a good question to me last evening : How can I go on about equality and sexism, yet throw parties like Iron Maiden, with an all female line up?

I was glad, and slightly surprised that he asked. Many out there question motives, reasons, but never ask. Making ones own, often inaccurate, conclusions is easier; and for some, repeating those one-sided conclusions to others is ejoyable. Sadly the respectful but blunt honesty i was approached with last evening , is rarely practiced, but stupid drama is ok. An unfortunate trend, at least in my pier group/age group/party scene. Anyway, we had a great conversation; several points came to light during, and in my mind since..

* People of colour formed the NAACP, fighting for “equality of rights… and to eliminate race-based discrimination.” They werent being racist because they did something as a group. Showing solidarity does not mean you are reversing the “ism” onto other groups, or exploiting your own. It simply means you are coming together.

* How many all male line ups have you seen? So if one all female line up is sexist.. hmmm!!

* I was a female, booking females who have proven their authentic skill and passion. It was a completely female show, from the promoters, to the ladies on the door, to the line up. (unfortunately i don’t know of a woman with a sound system… yet!) It was not a man booking women for an attractive gimmick.

* I also wanted to bring attention to the 3 girls who were newer on the Milwaukee circuit. It makes me very happy to see 3 female djs in Milwaukee, playing out, passionate, AND supporting each other. I never had that. I wanted to showcase their existence to audiences, and show them support. As the old Ma of Milwaukee promoters, it seemed like a natural thing to do!

* Part of my goal was to bring together some of WI female djs – a group of newer ladies and a group of old school pros. An opportunity for them to meet, for us to hear each other play; to see that there’s more than a couple of us out there; and to all kick it and throw down! (side note: As much as I love and respect the Milwaukee OG guys who supported and taught me, through out the years I longed for women who’s passion was playing and talking music, discussing, dissecting, sharing, learning. But I never knew any who were that deep in it. Consequently most of my time & bonds are with men – but I longed for there to be women on the same level; to be able to share my passion with a like minded woman, with none of that male-female equation that naturally exists – no matter how hard i try to ignore it!).

* I was so glad this friend approached me. Other wise I would never have had a chance to share my motivations and he would have gone on believeing i was a hypocrite. It was a lesson for him to look below the surface. And a reminder to me that what i assume is obvious, can come off completley differently to others.

Perhaps more importantly, friendship is not about never ruffling feathers. It is being willing to have uncomfortable moments. Addressing things that may feel awkward. It is being open to having your mind changed, learning something, hearing criticism, being judged, or being mistaken. No one needs more Yes men – or unspoken negativity. I hope more of my “friends” in The Matrix (FB) follow this example. Share concerns or questions – it doesn’t mean be confrontational or rude! But if you have doubts about someone’s motivation, sincerity, or motives… MAN UP. Have the decency to give the person in question the chance to speak for themselves ESPECIALLY if you are going to share your thoughts with others! RESPECTFUL, challenging conversation is invaluable; it allows all involved to learn and grow. My friend and I both learned, about ourselves, and each-other from our chat; and came away from it knowing one another a bit better, and I’d say with increased mutual respect. Thanks for reading.. your comments/questions are welcomed!
Merlyn Birchfield
PDJ 004 – Small Time Promoter Tips w/Jessica “Fortune” Fenner (pt. 2)

Podcast: Download (Duration: 58:15 — 53.3MB)

In episode 3, I introduced you to Jessica Fenner of A.part Music out of Milwaukee. If you haven’t listened to episode 3, make sure you go and listen to it first! Outside getting to know Jessica, we talk about some unique approaches to building evening s in small or limited markets, the value of a mentor, how to please your market, how “word of mouth” is greater than any promotional tool, how to have a sense of security when planning your own event, and how to avoid burnout.

If you like what you hear, please subscribe to the podcast. I have a lot more great discussions and interviews planned for the future!

In episode four, we talk about:

- How to promote your party as a party, not a charity
- How to build community (or tear it down) based on how you interact with other promoters and your audience
- Why it’s all about the experience, not just the names you book
- Your right to price a DJ’s worth in your market
- How operating without integrity sets everyone back
- ATIP – avoid taking it personally (and how to invest in success by focusing on quality)
- The struggles that women face in a male-dominated market, and how you can turn those hurdles into success
- How Facebook is a promoter’s blessing and curse

Items mentioned in this session include:

- Jessica's notes about gender and sexism in the scene and beyond will be in the following post
- The website for A.part music, http://www.apart-music.com
- A.part’s Twitter and Facebook page, and Fortune’s Twitter and Facebook page

Download the PDF!

Jessica has graciously allowed me to compile all 30 of these tips into one easy-to-read document.

Download the PDF of Small Time Promoter Tips here!
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by Swift
Looks like I have another DJ Blog!!! Mad respect for this buddy.
Thanks for listening, Swift! I hope you find it useful and enjoyable.
Wanita Androsky
Looks like I have another DJ Blog!!! Mad respect for this buddy.
Merlyn Birchfield
PDJ 003 – Small Time Promoter Tips w/Jessica “Fortune” Fenner (pt. 1)

Podcast: Download (Duration: 55:09 — 50.5MB)

In this episode, I interview Jessica Fenner, also known as “Fortune”, of A.part Music in Milwaukee. Currently producing 2 weekly parties, both in their third year, one off larger scale events and a DJ collective, Apart believes in delivering music to the community by putting the spotlight on local artists, as well as bringing world class talent to Milwaukee. As a DJ, Fortune has had the privilege of warming up the decks for the likes of Audiojack, Colette, Derrick Carter, Catz & Dogz, JT Donaldson, Gaiser, Kaskade, KiNK, Johnny Fiasco, Justin Martin, Derrick May, Pezzner, Kid Sister and Green Velvet.

Jessica has been writing a compiled list of “small-time promoter tips”, and she is joining us on the podcast to share 30 of them with us! Because of all the great info that we discuss, I had to break it into two episodes. So, this episode covers the first 15 tips.

In this third episode, I talk about:

- Getting to know Jessica and A.part music
- Some unique approaches to building evening s in limited markets
- What audiences want (how to know, and please, your market)
- The value of a mentor
- How “word of mouth” is greater than any promotional tool
- How to have a sense of security when planning and running your own event
- How to “bulletproof your soul” when it comes to promoting, and avoid those burnout moments

Items mentioned in this session include:

- Episode 2 of the Podcast (Buzz vs. Hype)
- The website for A.part music, http://www.apart-music.com
- A.part’s Twitter and Facebook page, and Fortune’s Twitter and Facebook page

Part two (episode four) will be posted this coming Monday (September 23, 2013), so keep an eye out for it!

Special Bonus

Jessica has graciously allowed me to compile all 30 of these tips into one easy-to-read document. (Hint: this is a great way to get all 30 tips now instead of waiting for part 2!)

Download the PDF of Small Time Promoter Tips here!

I believe she’s awesome for letting us do this and you should too, so if you find this helpful, please make sure to Tweet her and let her know!

@djFORtUne, thanks for the great #SmallTimePromoterTip list from the PassionateDJ.com podcast. You’re awesome! (Tweet this!)
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by SCHIES
I've been checking to see if a new episode would be posted, I'm glad that episode 3 is coming this week...looking forward to it!
Thanks, SCHIES! I plan to have less time between future episodes, but this one is really going to be full of great stuff so hopefully that makes up for it this time.
Latrina Prude
I've been checking to see if a new episode would be posted, I'm glad that episode 3 is coming this week...looking forward to it!
Merlyn Birchfield
Hey, folks!

Just wanted to say sorry for the delay on episode 3. It should be coming later this week. This will be my first interview, and some scheduling conflicts on both ends delayed it a bit.

The topic will be Small Time Promoter Tips, and I promise I will make up for the delay with a ridiculous amount of actionable content and useful info.

Just a quick bump to let everyone know this idea isn't dead... just was temporarily delayed!
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by Kwal
I like the idea, I can see myself benefitting from this. I will give it a listen here later on in the day and let you know what I believe.
Thanks Kwal... let me know what you believe!
Hellen Mindrup
I like the idea, I can see myself benefitting from this. I will give it a listen here later on in the day and let you know what I believe.
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by AllDay
It was pretty informative dude, I can definitely attest to choosing events that you play at once you understand you have a certain skillset and following. I made a bad choice this winter playing at an event that pretty much ruined that promoters name. Not from my djing tho luckily!

Keep doing these!
Yeah, I learned quickly (but the hard way) to be much choosier about the gigs that I take. Once you actually make that decision, it makes so much sense that you wonder how you ever thought otherwise (i.e. - take what you can get!)

Originally Posted by SCHIES
This is awesome, it's about time that somebody created a podcast where DJs can go to for advice. Keep up the great work man!
Hey, thanks! I will definitely keep it up and appreciate any feedback. I'm hoping to do a lot of learning, myself!
Latrina Prude
This is awesome, it's about time that somebody created a podcast where DJs can go to for advice. Keep up the great work man!
Tera Baragan
It was pretty informative dude, I can definitely attest to choosing events that you play at once you understand you have a certain skillset and following. I made a bad choice this winter playing at an event that pretty much ruined that promoters name. Not from my djing tho luckily!

Keep doing these!
Tera Baragan
Taking a listen right now. The idea is pretty slick I must say, Im a fan of these types of podcasts in any hobby I have been apart of.

Im gonna listen to #2 because I feel like I have been doing the majority except the very last part, Im basically basing my djing around unheard beats and being good. not much else. Will post after

<< Back to REMIX section. Mistapes, Podcasts, Breaks, and Soundcloud linksReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy