Basic Logic Pro Questions

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Basic Logic Pro QuestionsReply
Basic Logic Pro Questions
Posted on: 07.05.2013 by Alexandra Nerby
New to Logic Pro 9 and having been on FL years and years ago, I have a question regarding the beat-making process...just the drums.

So I load up an instrument, say the Ultrabeat drum machine, and pick a kick sample I want to play. I adjust some parameters and then go into the piano roll and place the kick where I want (4 on the floor). Ok, so now I want to add so claps. Well I can either add the claps inside the exact same Ultrabeat channel strip, or I can create a new strip and rename it "claps." The latter is what I'd like to do, but my question is, when I do this to add in my claps, I open a new piano roll, I cannot see the kicks I previously created. Visually seeing where the kicks are would make layering a drum track pretty easy as in FL. Is there a way to see where the kicks are while I add in the claps while in another channel strip?
Emelina Paglia
Originally Posted by Unique Freak
Personal preference. Some producers like to use audio instead of midi because it's more raw and allows you to visually see what's going on.
+1
Alexandra Nerby
Personal preference. Some producers like to use audio instead of midi because it's more raw and allows you to visually see what's going on.
Thank you.
Alexandra Nerby
Originally Posted by thepanache
You need to understand the difference between Audio and MIDI.

Audio is an actual piece of sound such as an MP3 or a WAV file represented by the blue blocks of Audio.

MIDI is a signal used to generate a sound within a software instrument, such as ultrabeat.

So your DAW will see a MIDI note and the software instrument will generate which ever sound you have selected.

And yes you just drag and drop audio files into audio channels.
Yes, I understand that, but is there a difference in choosing to use a created midi note for percussion vs just dragging in a .wav? Is it just personal preference?
Alexandra Nerby
Don't use the piano roll in the arrange window. Use Ultrabeat's sequencer to lay down your percussion.

You can also use "multi-timbral" mode when you load the ultrabeat plug-in into the channel strip. This allows separate control of each percussive element in a channel strip (which helps with eq, pan, automation, fx, etc...). Do a youtube search on how multi-timbral mode works.
Thank you, that was the perfect solution to my problem.

I am still confused about the different ways of creating percussion though, so let's say just the kick drum. In this video, you can see the bass is in a waveform display on the arrange window. I am not paying attention to the point of the video, just observing different ways of creating sounds.
Why are those bass kicks in a waveform display? Is it just a sample that was dragged into the arrange window and looped? What is the purpose of doing so vs. using Ultrabeat?

Thanks!
Alexandra Nerby
New to Logic Pro 9 and having been on FL years and years ago, I have a question regarding the beat-making process...just the drums.

So I load up an instrument, say the Ultrabeat drum machine, and pick a kick sample I want to play. I adjust some parameters and then go into the piano roll and place the kick where I want (4 on the floor). Ok, so now I want to add so claps. Well I can either add the claps inside the exact same Ultrabeat channel strip, or I can create a new strip and rename it "claps." The latter is what I'd like to do, but my question is, when I do this to add in my claps, I open a new piano roll, I cannot see the kicks I previously created. Visually seeing where the kicks are would make layering a drum track pretty easy as in FL. Is there a way to see where the kicks are while I add in the claps while in another channel strip?
Emelina Paglia
+1
Alexandra Nerby
Thank you.
Laurinda Benya
Alexandra Nerby
Originally Posted by thepanache

Audio is an actual piece of sound such as an MP3 or a WAV file represented by the blue blocks of Audio.

MIDI is a signal used to generate a sound within a software instrument, such as ultrabeat.

So your DAW will see a MIDI note and the software instrument will generate which ever sound you have selected.

Yes, I understand that, but is there a difference in choosing to use a created midi note for percussion vs just dragging in a .wav? Is it just personal preference?
Syreeta Piela

Alexandra Nerby
Don't use the piano roll in the arrange window. Use Ultrabeat's sequencer to lay down your percussion.

You can also use "multi-timbral" mode when you load the ultrabeat plug-in into the channel strip. This allows separate control of each percussive element in a channel strip (which helps with eq, pan, automation, fx, etc...). Do a youtube search on how multi-timbral mode works.
Thank you, that was the perfect solution to my problem.

I am still confused about the different ways of creating percussion though, so let's say just the kick drum. In this video, you can see the bass is in a waveform display on the arrange window. I am not paying attention to the point of the video, just observing different ways of creating sounds.
Why are those bass kicks in a waveform display? Is it just a sample that was dragged into the arrange window and looped? What is the purpose of doing so vs. using Ultrabeat?

Thanks!
Laurinda Benya

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy