How to create more "cohesion" ?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: How to create more "cohesion" ?Reply
How to create more "cohesion" ?
Posted on: 26.04.2013 by Nereida Jasnoch
Hi,

I might be a bit too perfectionist about this I don't know but I can never finish tracks because towards the end
it always seems as if the sounds aren't coherent and there is no cohesion.

For example. I'm really pleased with the drum track and synth track etc when I solo them but all bits together sound like shit.

Stuff I've tried but it didn't really help:

-compression (regular and glue compressor)
-moving stuff around in the stereo field
-more than regular EQing

Could you give me some pointers ?
I'm using Ableton Live 9 standard
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by Diodigi
Also, I generally keep a rule that no more than 4 major sounds are happening at the same time. Basically it goes: kick, bass, snare, lead. The only exception would be vocals, which imo should be above everything. .
Pads, risers. Two huge elements that also are played with the drums, bass, vocals and lead at the same time.

Its not necessarily how many sounds you use as long as everything can fit in and be eq'ed nicely!
Zulma Ramji
Originally Posted by MyUsername
Hi,

I might be a bit too perfectionist about this I don't know but I can never finish tracks because towards the end

For example. I'm really pleased with the drum track and synth track etc when I solo them but all bits together sound like shit.

-more than regular EQing

Man i know exactly what you mean. You write drums, then bass, then synths and all is good on it's own but combined it's all over the place. I believe the key here is to not work on individual elements for too long. Always compare how it sounds with the rest of the song. I always tend to write drums (even as simple as kick and snare) and then start adding synths, precussion, synths etc while the rest of the track is playing. That way you know you not wasting time making something that is clashing with the rest of the song. I know it can get suuuper annoying when the same stuff i looped, just turn on/off some of channels to keep your ears engaged while you add new elements. give it a shot.
Also i feel its more important to work out the notes for bass and synth so they evolve nicely together. Once notes are good, you can spend time making changes to the sound itself, EQ and space them out. Hope this helps.
Nikole Resende
Ah I usually do all my sound design without the track playing.
There's your problem. It's important to make sure the sound fits with the other elements.

Of course you can build e.g. your main lead to sound great on its own, but then you should go on by building the rest of the elements around that.

And I'll see if I find something to upload but it's all VERY WIP.
No example, no way to help...
Luciano Hyppolite
Ah I usually do all my sound design without the track playing. I'll try and play it with the rest of the track as soon I'm starting to like the sound somewhat.

in my experience, if you get too deep within sound design while. you are composing a song, if most of the time you find yourself tweaking your assasin ninja bass, if it doesnt fit, then you will be reluctant to letting that instrument go, you will loose objectivity regarding how that instrument sits in the mix, you will try to find a way to make it fit by force because you spent so much time making it.

I try to sepparate sound design from song writting. if you believe you have an awesome patch you made in your song, but it doesnt fit, thenn CTRL + G , instrument rack, throw it in your library, and have it there so as when you start a new song, you already have your library of sounds that sound great by themselves. then its just a matter of combining the ones that go togeteher!

hope the advice works!
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by alchemy
5 minute rule.

if the sound does not fit in the first five minutes you tweeak parameters, chances are that it wont fit in the song, just try with another sound.
Ah I usually do all my sound design without the track playing. I'll try and play it with the rest of the track as soon I'm starting to like the sound somewhat.

Nereida Jasnoch
Hi,

-more than regular EQing

Devora Chait
What I do when I start I make sections which I call "Complete 1, Complete 2, Complete 3" "Intro 1, Intro2" Etcetera, I start with the complete one and start to compose and add sounds to it until I like the way it sounds and adding something makes it cluttered. I switch the 2 sounds which fight eachother in "Complete 2" and repeat the process. It really helps when you don't want to let go of your sounds and in addition you can switch it up in arrangement making for a more diverse track imo.
Syreeta Piela
Pitch everything to sound nice together, especially if you're working with samples
Syreeta Piela
Check everything is in the same key....
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by Diodigi
Also, I generally keep a rule that no more than 4 major sounds are happening at the same time. Basically it goes: kick, bass, snare, lead. The only exception would be vocals, which imo should be above everything. .
Pads, risers. Two huge elements that also are played with the drums, bass, vocals and lead at the same time.

Its not necessarily how many sounds you use as long as everything can fit in and be eq'ed nicely!
Anissa Glasenapp
Sounds like you need to side chain some instruments; it really allows the sounds that you made pop out when they play. Plus, depending on the sound (I really like when my pads are side chained HARD) giggity, side chaining can give you a really cool effect.

Also, I generally keep a rule that no more than 4 major sounds are happening at the same time. Basically it goes: kick, bass, snare, lead. The only exception would be vocals, which imo should be above everything. Anything else like hi hats, pads, weird little noises, etc. would be at a slightly lower volume and panned.

Just sharing my process a bit, hope it might give you some new ideas.
Augustina Zulu
Mixing is an entirely different game than writing and arranging. You have to focus on the whole and not the parts. plug a spectrum analyzer into your master and go through your tracks muting individual and groups of tracks. I know there's one in live but I forget what it's called. You'll want to play groups of tracks that are in the same frequency range together and watch listen to how they sit together.

An obvious example is the bass and kick. If you have the bass and kick on the same frequency range and occuring at the same time, it's going to sound really muddy in the low end. You really have 3 choices. You can put the kick below the bass (common in techno and house) or you can put the kick above the bass (common in breaks, hip hop) or you can use a compressor so that one of the elements ducks out for the other one (common in dubstep and bass music). There's actually a 4th option to use 2 overlapping kicks, one EQed higher above the bass and gives punch and one that sits below the bass for the subby thump. I've never had great luck with this though.

The same thing goes for other instruments. If you 've got a lot going on in the same range you're going to have the same thing as the kick + bass issue and your options are really the same - get them on different frequencies or have them hit at different times. Sometimes you can do this by just making the sound shorter(change the envelope or use an expander to have it decay faster). Those really compressed drum samples with really long tails like you find in Maschine presets which sound really full and awesome on their own can be a pain in the ass to make sit right in a mix. Sometimes a clean kit can be a lot easier to work with. Don't be afraid to try new patches/samples if something isnt working
Zulma Ramji
Hi,

-more than regular EQing

Man i know exactly what you mean. You write drums, then bass, then synths and all is good on it's own but combined it's all over the place. I believe the key here is to not work on individual elements for too long. Always compare how it sounds with the rest of the song. I always tend to write drums (even as simple as kick and snare) and then start adding synths, precussion, synths etc while the rest of the track is playing. That way you know you not wasting time making something that is clashing with the rest of the song. I know it can get suuuper annoying when the same stuff i looped, just turn on/off some of channels to keep your ears engaged while you add new elements. give it a shot.
Also i feel its more important to work out the notes for bass and synth so they evolve nicely together. Once notes are good, you can spend time making changes to the sound itself, EQ and space them out. Hope this helps.
Berta Baie
Making sure i have the right sounds for the job takes up 90% of the time i spend starting a new track. Its very arduous, and it drives me nuts listen to the same MIDI clip looped over and over for like 30mins straight, but its worth it in the end. Without that base you are screwed. Sure i'll change sounds as i go, but usually it becomes a MASSIVE problem if i have to do this later on because then the new sound might clash with the other perfectly blending ones. If u can get this right from the get-go, or at least very close, this won't be as big of an issue.

On the flip side, this could also be a mixing problem. Sounds to loud or quiet in the mix won't blend well together. Gotta find that sweet spot, and if the sweet spot doesnt exit, well, then you are clearly using the wrong sound.
Nikole Resende
Ah I usually do all my sound design without the track playing.
There's your problem. It's important to make sure the sound fits with the other elements.

Of course you can build e.g. your main lead to sound great on its own, but then you should go on by building the rest of the elements around that.

No example, no way to help...
Luciano Hyppolite

in my experience, if you get too deep within sound design while. you are composing a song, if most of the time you find yourself tweaking your assasin ninja bass, if it doesnt fit, then you will be reluctant to letting that instrument go, you will loose objectivity regarding how that instrument sits in the mix, you will try to find a way to make it fit by force because you spent so much time making it.

I try to sepparate sound design from song writting. if you believe you have an awesome patch you made in your song, but it doesnt fit, thenn CTRL + G , instrument rack, throw it in your library, and have it there so as when you start a new song, you already have your library of sounds that sound great by themselves. then its just a matter of combining the ones that go togeteher!

hope the advice works!
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by alchemy
5 minute rule.

if the sound does not fit in the first five minutes you tweeak parameters, chances are that it wont fit in the song, just try with another sound.

Tera Baragan
Not all sounds are going to work with each other. That's half the part of producing is finding and creating sounds that work and feed off each other.
Luciano Hyppolite
5 minute rule.

Ronnie Kopietz
Without an example it's hard to tell exactly what's going wrong, but for me one thing I've fallen into time and time again was making each main component so full that they'd sound great alone (nice thick percussion, meaty bassline, dynamic lead), but together it would sound brutal. I believe it's because I'm afraid of having a finished track being too sparce so I'm inclined to make each element "interesting", which ends up creating a really cluttered arrangement.

Whenever I find myself in this place is mute all the tracks but the kick and whatever element I consider the most important: the bass, the lead, a particularly chunky percussive groove, and I get use to hearing them alone. Then I start un-muting the other tracks one at a time. Then it's easy to see which parts are fighting with the essence of the track and change or remove them.
Monserrate Rupnow
Example?

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy