Advice about starting a Tutorial series

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Advice about starting a Tutorial seriesReply
Advice about starting a Tutorial series
Posted on: 12.05.2013 by Chance Clum
I have noticed that offering free production tutorials on youtube can be a good way to not only contribute to the musical community, but also a good way to spread your name/work out to a relevant demographic of like minded people. I am by no means a huge act, but I do get booked consistently for good shows in my home state, I am currently receiving a university education on arts entrepreneurship at NC State University, and I feel comfortable enough with production, sound design, music theory, and using Ableton, Maschine, and Komplete that I could really contribute something to the online community of aspiring producers/dj's/musicians. I come hear to ask for any advice as to what to cover, how to spread the word effectively if you have done this, general suggestions, comments, or whatever. I'm not doing this to flare my ego, or believe that I am more qualified, or better than anyone, so if you believe the idea is dumb, please say why. I believe it's a decent way to start building reach outside of my local community, but I respect if you don't believe so, and can explain why it's not.

Here is an original that I finished recently, if you believe it's shit, feel free to say so and why, it will help me learn where my strengths are not, and where I shouldn't be trying to help people out.

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F88522267"></iframe>
Chance Clum
I have noticed that offering free production tutorials on youtube can be a good way to not only contribute to the musical community, but also a good way to spread your name/work out to a relevant demographic of like minded people. I am by no means a huge act, but I do get booked consistently for good shows in my home state, I am currently receiving a university education on arts entrepreneurship at NC State University, and I feel comfortable enough with production, sound design, music theory, and using Ableton, Maschine, and Komplete that I could really contribute something to the online community of aspiring producers/dj's/musicians. I come hear to ask for any advice as to what to cover, how to spread the word effectively if you have done this, general suggestions, comments, or whatever. I'm not doing this to flare my ego, or believe that I am more qualified, or better than anyone, so if you believe the idea is dumb, please say why. I believe it's a decent way to start building reach outside of my local community, but I respect if you don't believe so, and can explain why it's not.

Here is an original that I finished recently, if you believe it's shit, feel free to say so and why, it will help me learn where my strengths are not, and where I shouldn't be trying to help people out.

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F88522267"></iframe>
Rodolfo Oriol
The only advice I can give you is what I've seen lacking in youtube and what you can consider do a
youtube tutorial of.

-The different types of mixing
-Explaining the knobs in different types of effects
-Stereo enhancement
-Explaining exporting and what to do next.

This is only youtube, there is lots of tutorials on other sites about this. I'm just giving you my 5 cents to give you some sort of
advice to stand out amongst the other youtuber's.
Berta Baie
I believe its a great idea providing you have a set plan on how to do it. For example, I too have considered doing this (not any time soon) but I'm also a trained teacher and have experience leading kids through a series of lessons in order to get them to a certain point. If you are going to do this, you very much need a "unit plan" much like a teacher would set up a series of lessons i.e. build on ideas to lead people towards a certain goal.

To start with I would ask yourself: how did I get to this point? what aspects do i believe are absolutely critical for music production?what difficulties did i experience on the way that i wished i had known at the start? which of these can i translate these skills into tutorial vids?

I believe if you can answer these questions and do it in a way that is clear to your viewers, it would be of great help to the community at large and especially the newbies who want to get started in the process.
Trey Brune
I agree with Tarekith. It's a good idea, but with the amount of other sources available, a bit overdone.

That's not to say you shouldn't be trying to provide help to others, that's always valuable. I would recommend sticking to the freshest stuff possible. I'm sure people would jump on videos for DJ's regarding: advanced mapping, controller-ism, DVS turntablism tricks, etc. Since DJ technology just keeps on evolving these days, it would be hard to to not discover new things over time. This very website is a testament to that.
Monserrate Rupnow
I don't believe it's a dumb idea, but I do believe that at this point it's an idea that has already been pretty well capitalized on by a lot of people already (Dubspot, PointBlank, Vespers, SFLogicNinja, etc). So you really need to offer something totally unique to stand out and get any sort of following at all. And while the tools you list are very popular, they are also the tools that you can already find the most tutorials on currently, making it even more difficult to stand out.

If you're really serious about making it more local community driven, then maybe hosting in person training or workshop might be a more effective way to approach this than just making some videos on YouTube and hoping people see them.

Finally, I've had a lot of opportunity to interact with others that are also making tutorials and the like (as well as doing it myself for years). It can definitely be a good way to help promote say an audio engineering career, or maybe just a career doing tutorials like that. But I know very few people who get gigs as a result of this work. Sure maybe one or two every couple years, but for the amount of time you're going to have to put into it, it's really not the most effective way of promoting yourself if pushing your music or performance is your main goal.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to share my thoughts on this and maybe give you something to believe about.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy