Simple question if anyone can help me....

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Simple question if anyone can help me....Reply
Simple question if anyone can help me....
Posted on: 03.06.2013 by Esther Voda
Sup all,

I'm some what newer to producions and i've been trying to figure out the sound of this track...Not so much the samples but the over all mix that gives it an old school compressed sound i can't tell if its run through tape or what not. I've been working in logic pro and i produce new wavey kind of experimental stuff so it the basic sound im looking to at. any advice would be appreciated

Tobias Merrills
Originally Posted by josephy
I'm probably wrong, but it sounds like a matter of adding chorus and plate reverb to your tracks, as well as boosting the treble/mids, cutting the bass, and adding light compression--nothing too out of control--to the master EQ.
i disagree. While the chorus and plate reverb will be good for adding some warmth. i believe that it all comes down to the sounds and the way it was mix/mastered. If you were to boost the treble and mids you would just me left with treble and mids sticking out too much.

He could be using analog gear and running it through tape, or some sort of tape emulator plug in. Their are multiple plugins that replicate old school style warmth as well.
Esther Voda
Sup all,

I'm some what newer to producions and i've been trying to figure out the sound of this track...Not so much the samples but the over all mix that gives it an old school compressed sound i can't tell if its run through tape or what not. I've been working in logic pro and i produce new wavey kind of experimental stuff so it the basic sound im looking to at. any advice would be appreciated

Lynda Guerrieri
Ah, right on. I just listened via headphones and disagree with myself a bit. I'm probably wrong (again), but I'd say there's a bit of phaser/flanger in the sound design as well, to give the tracks and the overall mix an additional dynamic, "liquified" type of sound.
Monserrate Rupnow
Yeah, I believe it's just a combination of the sounds he used, and the way it was mixed more than anything. Overall everything has a sort of dulled sound like the highs were reduced a little. Except for the cymbals, which sizzle on top all by themselves. Give a bit of emphasis in the 300-500Hz range to add a bit more warmth, and bingo.
Tobias Merrills
Originally Posted by josephy
I'm probably wrong, but it sounds like a matter of adding chorus and plate reverb to your tracks, as well as boosting the treble/mids, cutting the bass, and adding light compression--nothing too out of control--to the master EQ.
i disagree. While the chorus and plate reverb will be good for adding some warmth. i believe that it all comes down to the sounds and the way it was mix/mastered. If you were to boost the treble and mids you would just me left with treble and mids sticking out too much.

He could be using analog gear and running it through tape, or some sort of tape emulator plug in. Their are multiple plugins that replicate old school style warmth as well.
Lynda Guerrieri

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy