Whats the point of using a DAW live?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Whats the point of using a DAW live?Reply
Whats the point of using a DAW live?
Posted on: 01.06.2013 by Shila Abeja
I hear people talking about that. i always thought you just load your finished tracks onto a deck and mix it when you perform live?
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by BiggChev
I don't believe it's most DAWs but Ableton or Maschine in specific.

Both of these DAWs allow you to launch loops, and play in live instruments. The point being to do completely new, chopped, remixed versions of your tracks, and others on the fly. This allows people to be more creative and spontaneous with their mixing.
Right.

Originally Posted by Jscherz
I hear people talking about that. i always thought you just load your finished tracks onto a deck and mix it when you perform live?
I know what you meant, but to me, mixing and performing live (singing or playing an instrument, etc) are two very different things.
Shila Abeja
Lyndsey Blaufuss
One of the reasons DJ's and producers use Ableton is to have access to an original production layer by layer. For instance you could throw the hi-hats and vocals of one track over the bassline and kick of another seamlessly. Deadmau5 is the best known example of a producer that exclusively performs like this.
Trey Brune
Well, the gap is getting smaller. I remember when NI announced the Remix Decks believeing: "Wow, now you can launch samples, without needing a DAW".

I'd say producers use DAW's because it gives you more control over your performance, and all the other things people above me have said. You are definitely more limited changing tracks using finished stereo files and DJ software.
Monserrate Rupnow
This is one way I take orginal songs and "play" them live with Ableton:

http://tarekith.com/ableton-live-apc40-live-pa-set-up/

Lots of things you can do in Live that you really can't in DJ software or other DAWs.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by BiggChev

Both of these DAWs allow you to launch loops, and play in live instruments. The point being to do completely new, chopped, remixed versions of your tracks, and others on the fly. This allows people to be more creative and spontaneous with their mixing.
Right.

Originally Posted by Jscherz
I know what you meant, but to me, mixing and performing live (singing or playing an instrument, etc) are two very different things.
Sydney Lashway

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy