My first track attempt.. any general tips?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: My first track attempt.. any general tips?Reply
My first track attempt.. any general tips?
Posted on: 23.05.2013 by Ralph Alderette
https://soundcloud.com/dj-synthetix/1st-attempt

I'm having trouble getting my kicks to sound pronounced.
I find it difficult to stick to typical song structure/arrangements..

any constructive criticism appreciated!!
Georgie Lukowiak
Originally Posted by vpech013
totally agree with you there From my perspective you need to know a topic inside-out before you can break rules, otherwise you will just come across as amateur. So what im trying to say is learn the basics so you know when you can and when you shouldn't break rules.
+1 on this!
never personally used logic pro (as im a pc user) , but it looks like a fantastic DAW! I've been with Ableton for 3 years and am considering switching to Logic when I get a Mac! Not sure how it'll suit me, but I can always come back to Ableton if I fail
Ralph Alderette
Originally Posted by SwedeDreams
Have you tried a thing called sidechain compression before?
Most compressors should have it, but what you do is route the sidechain to the bass from the kick! So whenever the kick hits, it "compresses" the sound from the kick! You can select how much compression there is coming to the bass as well!

May I ask, what DAW are you using?
Yeah, I'm generally familiar with it in theory but never in practice. The audio from the soundcloud link was all done in Maschine but I have Logic Pro, which I'm still wrapping my head around.

the reason I don't mind repetition is because I was going for a "Gesaffelstein- Viol" feel.. one day my ability will match my taste in music.
Shawn Vanhaitsma
It's not that difficult to stick to arrangements lol just make changes every 16,32,64 bars! haha

It's not too too bad. It gets super repetitive. Thats cuz you don't stick to proper arrangement.

I bet your kick is not pronounces because this rumbling bass is killing it. EQ/sidechain compress the bassline. Maybe make it sit lower so the top end of the kick comes through.
What is "proper" arrangement? LOL... If he puts it in "proper" arrangement its going to sound even more reptitive. Just because the internet say techno should be made of strict loops on a 16 32 64 pattern :P Classical musical comp says the rules are always breakable :P
Zulma Ramji
Originally Posted by DJ Asand
thanks for the input! I'll definitely try out what you've mentioned. I've been restructuring it, sounds better.

I used Maschine entirely for this track so far, but I have Logic Pro also and just haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

Edit: just realized I posted this in the wrong section. sorry!!!!!!!
And regarding arrangement - pick a song you like - just copy it in one channel and arrange your song the same way. None would ever.
Ralph Alderette
https://soundcloud.com/dj-synthetix/1st-attempt

I'm having trouble getting my kicks to sound pronounced.
I find it difficult to stick to typical song structure/arrangements..

any constructive criticism appreciated!!
Armanda Yankauskas
I believe the biggest problem is your bassline tbh. And don't get me wrong I a fan of big meaty basslines also but yours is just constant in your whole track. And on top of that ita the loudest thing in your track. Then you put some other synth with the same rhythm on top of it and it still bursts through at you. Try lowering that bad boy man, mixing is important in production also. And def play woth arrangement take some stuff out and bam you got a break down. I guess all I'm trying to say is while a "big bad bassline" is dope, less is sometimes more . Hope my 2cents helps you in yoir journey through production
Lynda Guerrieri
The beat is pretty funky, and I like how you vary the velocity of the drum hits. Definitely on the repetitive side. You don't have to copy any sort of pop songwriting structure, but knowing when to add and subtract elements to engage the listening viscerally and emotionally is really important.

Learning sidechain compression is a must, as well as EQ. Look at a spectrograph of your bass and kick. You can get a good visual of how much they are competing.

Also, everything is really dry. Try adding a little bit of reverb and delay to taste. Good luck!
Georgie Lukowiak
totally agree with you there From my perspective you need to know a topic inside-out before you can break rules, otherwise you will just come across as amateur. So what im trying to say is learn the basics so you know when you can and when you shouldn't break rules.
+1 on this!
never personally used logic pro (as im a pc user) , but it looks like a fantastic DAW! I've been with Ableton for 3 years and am considering switching to Logic when I get a Mac! Not sure how it'll suit me, but I can always come back to Ableton if I fail
Zulma Ramji
Ralph Alderette
Originally Posted by SwedeDreams
Most compressors should have it, but what you do is route the sidechain to the bass from the kick! So whenever the kick hits, it "compresses" the sound from the kick! You can select how much compression there is coming to the bass as well!

Yeah, I'm generally familiar with it in theory but never in practice. The audio from the soundcloud link was all done in Maschine but I have Logic Pro, which I'm still wrapping my head around.

the reason I don't mind repetition is because I was going for a "Gesaffelstein- Viol" feel.. one day my ability will match my taste in music.
Georgie Lukowiak

Shawn Vanhaitsma
It's not that difficult to stick to arrangements lol just make changes every 16,32,64 bars! haha

It's not too too bad. It gets super repetitive. Thats cuz you don't stick to proper arrangement.

I bet your kick is not pronounces because this rumbling bass is killing it. EQ/sidechain compress the bassline. Maybe make it sit lower so the top end of the kick comes through.
What is "proper" arrangement? LOL... If he puts it in "proper" arrangement its going to sound even more reptitive. Just because the internet say techno should be made of strict loops on a 16 32 64 pattern :P Classical musical comp says the rules are always breakable :P
Zulma Ramji
Originally Posted by DJ Asand
thanks for the input! I'll definitely try out what you've mentioned. I've been restructuring it, sounds better.

I used Maschine entirely for this track so far, but I have Logic Pro also and just haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

And regarding arrangement - pick a song you like - just copy it in one channel and arrange your song the same way. None would ever.
Ralph Alderette

Zulma Ramji

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy