Chords, and Progressions

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Chords, and ProgressionsReply
Chords, and Progressions
Posted on: 19.06.2013 by Sydney Lashway
Hey Tech-Toolians,

So it's been a while since I've posted anything useful so I believe it's due time.

I'd like to throw out some common, and helpful chord progressions. I hope this helps give some structure, movement and ideally spark creativity for all the producers out there. Also, for the DJ's: by identifying the progressions (by ear) this could help with mixing and not having to stare at waveforms.

So without further delay....

1) I-IV-V Progression

This is probably the most common progression in rock, blues, and pop. This a "solid" progression that can really anchor a song, and give it a sense of power. Also, when the last two chords are inverted (V-I) it gives a great since a finality, hence the term "Perfect Cadence."

Simply put the chord is denoted by the position of the note in a particular scale

Example: A minor

Measure: |- - - | - - -| - - - | - - -
Chord: A- A- D- E-

2) I-VI-III-VII Progression

This is one of my favourite progressions. It has movement, (up and down) and the best part is that it ends on the VII, which in music theory is called the "Leading Note." Why? Because the Seventh degree of a scale naturally wants to be resolved, in other words, it wants to loop. And loop it does, almost seamlessly.

Measure: | - - - | - - - | - - - | - - -
Chord: A- F+ C+ G+

Note: This is sometimes referred to as the "Epic" chord progression. Listen to the Daft Punk example below and you'll know why lol.

These two progressions lend themselves nicely to be automated and tweaked as to allow for movement and dynamics. The goal is to use them as building blocks. I find one of the most useful things about starting with a Progression is that it takes a lot of believeing out of the melody part. By working in a scale, you know what notes to use. Also, by listening and feeling the chords you know how to craft the movement and dynamics of your melodies.
Hope this helps at least one person.

Thanks,
Chev
Sydney Lashway
Hey Tech-Toolians,

So it's been a while since I've posted anything useful so I believe it's due time.

I'd like to throw out some common, and helpful chord progressions. I hope this helps give some structure, movement and ideally spark creativity for all the producers out there. Also, for the DJ's: by identifying the progressions (by ear) this could help with mixing and not having to stare at waveforms.

So without further delay....

1) I-IV-V Progression

This is probably the most common progression in rock, blues, and pop. This a "solid" progression that can really anchor a song, and give it a sense of power. Also, when the last two chords are inverted (V-I) it gives a great since a finality, hence the term "Perfect Cadence."

Simply put the chord is denoted by the position of the note in a particular scale

Measure: |- - - | - - -| - - - | - - -
Chord: A- A- D- E-

2) I-VI-III-VII Progression

This is one of my favourite progressions. It has movement, (up and down) and the best part is that it ends on the VII, which in music theory is called the "Leading Note." Why? Because the Seventh degree of a scale naturally wants to be resolved, in other words, it wants to loop. And loop it does, almost seamlessly.

Measure: | - - - | - - - | - - - | - - -
Chord: A- F+ C+ G+

Note: This is sometimes referred to as the "Epic" chord progression. Listen to the Daft Punk example below and you'll know why lol.

These two progressions lend themselves nicely to be automated and tweaked as to allow for movement and dynamics. The goal is to use them as building blocks. I find one of the most useful things about starting with a Progression is that it takes a lot of believeing out of the melody part. By working in a scale, you know what notes to use. Also, by listening and feeling the chords you know how to craft the movement and dynamics of your melodies.
Hope this helps at least one person.

Thanks,
Chev
Dannie Dimora
Nice post!
I use this :P

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy