Which should I get first?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Which should I get first?Reply
Which should I get first?
Posted on: 09.05.2013 by Dylan Kockler
I'm really gonna try to make a long story short

I'll be getting Ableton Live 9 Standard and plan to be purchasing both the Maschine Mk2 and the Novation Launchkeys 49

My question to you is which should I buy first? The Maschine or the Launchkeys?

Also I dont have any prior piano skills. Should I get the 49 key or a 25 key midi keyboard?
Sharonda Flewellyn
With gear lust, no matter what anyone suggests, or advises you, you will end up buying it anyway.

I myself, have spent money on lovely flashy things, which when I have used them, have realised it was overkill.

What my suggestion is, is a hybrid of the previous posts:

* Get to know Ableton.

This can be done through anyway you want/can afford or have time for. For instance Youtube is a great resource, as is http://www.abletonlivedj.com/community / you can also subscribe to trainer videos, or even pay a local cert trainer to help you.

Once you have a grasp on the software, you will have a clearer idea of what you need, hardware wise

*Buy a cheap midi keyboard

Be it a NanoKey, or an oxygen 8, or some cheap
Sharonda Flewellyn
With gear lust, no matter what anyone suggests, or advises you, you will end up buying it anyway.

I myself, have spent money on lovely flashy things, which when I have used them, have realised it was overkill.

* Get to know Ableton.

This can be done through anyway you want/can afford or have time for. For instance Youtube is a great resource, as is http://www.abletonlivedj.com/community / you can also subscribe to trainer videos, or even pay a local cert trainer to help you.

Once you have a grasp on the software, you will have a clearer idea of what you need, hardware wise

Sharonda Flewellyn

* Get to know Ableton.

Sharonda Flewellyn

* Get to know Ableton.

Sharonda Flewellyn

* Get to know Ableton.

Sharonda Flewellyn

* Get to know Ableton.

Sharonda Flewellyn

* Get to know Ableton.

Aleisha Nakaoka
Originally Posted by AllDay
How do u make sense? A drum machine(Maschine) and a complete controller that controls ableton completely, including impulse. So its maschine plus more.. ?

Cause everyone has lots of samples n vsts!
Obviously you have never used either.
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by evolakim
Ableton PUSH DOES NOT do anywhere near what Maschine can do! Push is in it's infancy! I say go w/ Maschine.
How do u make sense? A drum machine(Maschine) and a complete controller that controls ableton completely, including impulse. So its maschine plus more.. ?

Sharonda Flewellyn

* Get to know Ableton.

Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by botstein
I don't believe it takes 2+ years to learn to use Ableton or to justify buying a controller. That would be 1/9 of the OP's entire life. That seems very silly.
op is only living until 18? You seem very silly.
Ervin Calvery
I would just get ableton and try learning it for a couple years.. haha

Getting annoyed with people saying go and buy a controller to produce.

I don't believe it takes 2+ years to learn to use Ableton or to justify buying a controller. That would be 1/9 of the OP's entire life. That seems very silly.
Dylan Kockler
I'm really gonna try to make a long story short

I'll be getting Ableton Live 9 Standard and plan to be purchasing both the Maschine Mk2 and the Novation Launchkeys 49

My question to you is which should I buy first? The Maschine or the Launchkeys?

Also I dont have any prior piano skills. Should I get the 49 key or a 25 key midi keyboard?
Aleisha Nakaoka

Obviously you have never used either.
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by evolakim
Ableton PUSH DOES NOT do anywhere near what Maschine can do! Push is in it's infancy! I say go w/ Maschine.

Aleisha Nakaoka
Dylan Kockler
Well guys it's been quite a while since I've posted this so I figured I'd let everyone know whats been going on. The past two months of the summer I've been traveling a lot for music festivals and have started simply saving up money for what I want to do. I plan to buy Ableton Live 9 Suite and use it on my current laptop for the time being and am gonna focus on learning the DAW before purchasing any hardware whatsoever since I have no idea what would help my workflow nor do I have any previous piano skills to merit even buying a keyboard for the time being, after I learn the ropes then perhaps I'll know what things I'll need but in the meantime I'll just be buying good monitors for production purposes as well as a soundcard.
Sharonda Flewellyn

* Get to know Ableton.

Tobias Merrills
kbridge is right. You will piss yourself off with frustration trying to figure out how to get all that gear to work. I would reccomend a MIDI keyboard with 49 keys the most and a few assignable knobs, maybe even a few pads on it. Akai has some good ones that work well especially for abelton. Its not about what gear you have it about what you can do with what you dont have.
Eventually when you r comfortable with Abelton you will feel out what you could implement in your studio.
Galen Fraile
I tend to agree with what most people are saying, if you buy a full fledged music production controller like Push or Maschine, you'll likely be overwhelmed in the beginning and your workflow will go nowhere. If you're considering controllerism at all to begin with I'd recommend a nice inexpensive mini like the Akai MPK Mini or the Korg Microkey as they do a lot and it's not a big commitment.
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by botstein
op is only living until 18? You seem very silly.
Pauletta Place
Since you don't have keyboard skills, you should get Maschine first.
Bernard Pulizzi
personally I wouldn't get push if you're just buying Ableton at the moment..

DEFINITELY get some hours, days, weeks, months of practice in before buying a production CONTROLLER (push).. you need to know the fundamentals of the program first, and I can't even imaging trying to learn ableton through a controller opposed to via laptop/computer first!

get a no-frills 25 key midi keyboard for sketching out ideas, don't bother going for an expensive keyboard just yet until you have a better grasp of the program and producing.. trust me, I was pulling my hair out looking for a keyboard of varying sizes, with all the bells and whistles, mappable rotaries and slider etc, until I finally realised - why do I need all of these things, I have a mouse.

now I just practice with my Ableton Live Suite (which I purchased recently out of my own pocket [sorry, but I'm proud I haven't pirated, being a 19 year old poor university student]) and a Korg Microkey 32, which isn't even necessary, just helpful in jamming out melodies and basslines before writing them in.

just my two cents.
Ervin Calvery

Tera Baragan

Johanna Eggerson
+1 for getting Push. Looks awesome, believe I might get Live Suite & Push. Relatively cheap as well for what you get.

I would also get push.
Brunilda Gamez
What do you want to do? The thing with Midi is it can be mapped to do anything. You can play drums on the keyboard and I'm sure somehow you can play a keyboard or specific notes on a maschine. It depends on what you want and feel is more neccescary for you at the moment.
Brunilda Kora
Yeah - get Push.
Syreeta Piela
You might as well buy Ableton Push if you're gonna be using Live. Does everything Maschine can do and is built to work with Ableton.

And you can play it like a keyboard!

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy