Maschine mk2 - Full vs Mikro

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Maschine mk2 - Full vs MikroReply
Maschine mk2 - Full vs Mikro
Posted on: 28.05.2013 by Arlinda Finazzo
I've taken many stabs at production over the 15 years I've been around electronic music. But for some reason I've never found a flow that I've been happy with and was willing to stick with. There's been lots of hardware attempts (MC-303, Korg ESX-1, MPC 1000) and software attempts (Rebirth/Reason, Ableton, etc). There's always been things that I've loved about one or another, but always things that I didn't like. I'm very casual when it comes to music production, not trying to become the next big thing, but I just want to have lots of fun trying to make my own sound.

I loved working with the ESX and MPC... but I hated loading custom samples/sounds/etc on to these devices. Reason and Ableton I just never really got in to the flow of creation, maybe I was just overwhelmed by so many options (instruments, etc). I'm really enjoying the simplicity of Propellerheads Figure (on my iPhone)... but it's only good for creating little loops/jams on the fly. I want to go a bit bigger... and I believe Maschine will be the best option for me.

I don't want to spend too much... but at $350 and $600 (Canadian prices at my local stores) it really isn't too much of a stretch between the two options. But if I can get the Mikro version, and don't feel like I'd be missing out on too much, I'd rather save the money for something else.

If anyone can answer the following, that would really help me with my decision. Remember that I'm just someone doing this casually and won't be doing "live" performances.

1) Is the lack of knobs for efx a big deal? I also understand the knob on the Mikro "clicks" and that may cause noticeable "bumps" when making automated efx adjustments. I do notice similar issue with the "hp/lp filter" on my Traktor Kontrol S2.

2) Is the workflow any more complicated without the extra transport buttons? For example, is it a pain changing between groups (on the fly) with the Mikro?

Anything else I should consider before making the decision between the two options?
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by Nick V
I own and use a mikro. I use it as a plugin in a DAW though so the whole mouseless workflow thing goes straight out the window. I also use it mostly as a basic drum machine and do most of my sample edits in the DAW. When I have had to edit samples in the mikro, I usually just do it in the software. I'm not even sure how to do it any other way TBH.
On the big Maschine, it's as easy as SAMPLING -> EDIT.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by djfil007
I've taken many stabs at production over the 15 years I've been around electronic music. But for some reason I've never found a flow that I've been happy with and was willing to stick with. There's been lots of hardware attempts (MC-303, Korg ESX-1, MPC 1000) and software attempts (Rebirth/Reason, Ableton, etc). There's always been things that I've loved about one or another, but always things that I didn't like. I'm very casual when it comes to music production, not trying to become the next big thing, but I just want to have lots of fun trying to make my own sound.
Maschine is a ton of fun. It comes with Massive, which is a lot of fun, too.

If anyone can answer the following, that would really help me with my decision. Remember that I'm just someone doing this casually and won't be doing "live" performances.

1) Is the lack of knobs for efx a big deal? I also understand the knob on the Mikro "clicks" and that may cause noticeable "bumps" when making automated efx adjustments. I do notice similar issue with the "hp/lp filter" on my Traktor Kontrol S2.

2) Is the workflow any more complicated without the extra transport buttons? For example, is it a pain changing between groups (on the fly) with the Mikro?

Anything else I should consider before making the decision between the two options?
I usually write Maschine mk2 > (original) Maschine > Mikro mk2 > Mikro.

The knobs aren't just for effects. Slicing and such are a dream on Maschine, and not quite as easy on the Mikro. For example, the ability to tweak the various parameters of a sample (eight at any time) is great.
Arlinda Finazzo

I loved working with the ESX and MPC... but I hated loading custom samples/sounds/etc on to these devices. Reason and Ableton I just never really got in to the flow of creation, maybe I was just overwhelmed by so many options (instruments, etc). I'm really enjoying the simplicity of Propellerheads Figure (on my iPhone)... but it's only good for creating little loops/jams on the fly. I want to go a bit bigger... and I believe Maschine will be the best option for me.

I don't want to spend too much... but at $350 and $600 (Canadian prices at my local stores) it really isn't too much of a stretch between the two options. But if I can get the Mikro version, and don't feel like I'd be missing out on too much, I'd rather save the money for something else.

Arlinda Finazzo
Unfortunately I haven't made my purchase. Had a few expenses come up that had to be dealt with first. But I 100% will be purchasing the full sized Maschine S2.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd assume you can map any midi/usb controller interface to the software... just like Traktor.
Alfonso Lajoy
What did you get my friend? I am believeing to get Mikro but I heard about the importance of the knobs that the big one has, Do you know if these knobs that mikro lacks off can be "replaced" by lemur, touchosc or a nanokontrol2?

Thank you for your answer

Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by Nick V
I own and use a mikro. I use it as a plugin in a DAW though so the whole mouseless workflow thing goes straight out the window. I also use it mostly as a basic drum machine and do most of my sample edits in the DAW. When I have had to edit samples in the mikro, I usually just do it in the software. I'm not even sure how to do it any other way TBH.
On the big Maschine, it's as easy as SAMPLING -> EDIT.
Augustina Zulu

It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you're looking for the MPC type experience where the maschine is the center of your studio, then yeah you probably don't want the mikro. Personally I can't see using either in that way because the mixer (or lack of) is so basic. I also have a keyboard and other contols for effects so the lack of knobs doesn't bother me on that front.

What I love about it is just the big ass pressure sensitive pads to bang out rhythms on. Sometimes I dont even use the maschine software and just use it as a controller for another plug like battery.
Arlinda Finazzo
Thanks for the feedback. If anyone does own a Mikro... would like to hear from you. But I currently am leaning towards making sure I can get the full unit.
Ervin Calvery
BiggChev, you're a gentleman and a scholar.
Sydney Lashway
+2 for the full

Software wise, they're the same but I believe the extra (or according to botsein, lack there of) knobs on the mikro really makes a difference. I'm sure if you start on a mikro it'd become second nature to you having to use shift+ functions, but I definitely believe the Full is the way to go

Like botsein said...

MK2 Full > MK1 Full > MK2 mikro > MK1 Mikro

also, not a fan of the super knob on the MK2s
Maile Dekerlegand
+1 the full, its awesome

1) I really can't imagine not having the knobs, it must be a pain, and can testify regarding knotched encoders for FX, have had them on dnsc2000 and it was noticeable
2) Don't have it so can't comment

For sample chopping the knobs are really helpful
Ervin Calvery
Maschine is a ton of fun. It comes with Massive, which is a lot of fun, too.

I usually write Maschine mk2 > (original) Maschine > Mikro mk2 > Mikro.

The knobs aren't just for effects. Slicing and such are a dream on Maschine, and not quite as easy on the Mikro. For example, the ability to tweak the various parameters of a sample (eight at any time) is great.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy