What Audio Interace do I require? And DAW!

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: What Audio Interace do I require? And DAW!Reply
What Audio Interace do I require? And DAW!
Posted on: 17.07.2013 by Genesis Sivek
Hey fellow Techy's!

So I've basically been djing for a couple years with a Traktor s4, midi fighter, Traktor X1 and have a decent pair of Aiaiai headphones and KRK Rokit 5 monitor's running in sync with a Macbook Pro 15''. I intend to pick up a 49 key midi keyboard soon too.

I recently picked up the Maschine mkII with a purpose to produce music. I have no DAW as of now, but am looking to purchase the new Logic Pro X. Does this come with various vst's or do I need to buy them separately?
I may also purchase Komplete 9, is this a bang for its buck, and would it work in Logic Pro X? or do you suggest something else. I own massive and 3gb of a library that came with my Maschine mkII.

I believe an audio interface would work well with my emerging setup and can't really decide what to go with.

I've heard the akai eie pro has a lot of issues and hence started looking into Focusrite (who also claim to have latency issues because of the drivers) and RME (which I have no idea regarding).

Since you have a brief idea of what my set up is going to be like would you be able to suggest something decent. My price range extends to $300. Won't be able to buy one with a return policy because I'll be buying it abroad. So trying it out and then setting my mind on one wont be possible.

Thanks Alot, Anticipating an early response!
Gisele Engstrand
Originally Posted by PiranhaPiper
Do I need a power hub or just an ordinary one? For connecting up the S4, X1, Midi fighter, Maschine.

I'm believeing of getting the Komplete 9. But its pretty $$$.

Also, any suggestions on an audio interface? 2-4 inputs, maybe 4-6 outputs. What are line inputs/ inserts btw?
I would get a powered USB hub, so you can run more devices at once. For a (external) soundcard I am using the Behringer U-Control UCA202, its good and I have had it for about 3 months and so far have had no problems. The best part is that it costs $21-30(USD), it has 1 Red/White output, 1 Red/White input and one headphone jack. You should be fine with one output and input, if you are not recording. I don't know what your setup is so you might need more in/outs.
Hope this helps!
Ming Devis
Do I need a power hub or just an ordinary one? For connecting up the S4, X1, Midi fighter, Maschine.

Also, any suggestions on an audio interface? 2-4 inputs, maybe 4-6 outputs. What are line inputs/ inserts btw?
If you're starting out just buy a DAW and use Maschine for creating beats/sampling. Logic and Maschine will have enough instruments and sounds to keep you happy for a long time plus you get an extremely in depth synth with Massive as well.
I wouldn't spend the money on Komplete yet, too much will distract you, learn how to construct a song properly in logic before you worry about a 100gb of sounds and plug ins.
My 2cents
Genesis Sivek
Originally Posted by nesbit
I would recommend buying a usb hub (just because they come in handy) and I would start researching different VST's/ AU(AU's are only for mac). IE Sylenth, Massive. Remember to have fun!

Ervin Calvery
Bostein,

How's the akai eie pro?
If you aren't recording anything, you certainly don't need 4 ins.
I don't know whether it will reduce your latency. I can run Ableton with very low latency on Apogee interfaces reliably, and NI interfaces with Ableton crashing now and then. Logic Pro X is very new and not developed to work with specific hardware (soundcards, etc like older versions of Pro Tools), so it's really hard to say whether this sound card will have any value to you at all.

I love the fact that it has 3 other usb ports.
I like the hub feature in my Kontrol Z2 when playing out with more minimal setups, but I need 14+ USB ports at home. I use a Manhattan hub which has 28, so I can't really comment on whether that feature will be convenient.

Also, do i need to connect up my dj gear into the soundcard or not?
No
Genesis Sivek
Originally Posted by fokaisnake
I use Ableton and it works out great with my MK2. Dragging and dropping groups into Ableton really speeds up the creative process but i'm pretty sure this works other DAWs as well. I just picked up a Focusrite 2i4 and haven't had any issues with it yet.
Thats great! What's the learning curve on ableton compared to logic? I mean difficulty level of getting good with it?

Important to know : Do I (rather should I) connect up my Traktor S4 into the audio interface or is just for my midi keyboard, monitors and future mic?
Genesis Sivek
Hey fellow Techy's!

So I've basically been djing for a couple years with a Traktor s4, midi fighter, Traktor X1 and have a decent pair of Aiaiai headphones and KRK Rokit 5 monitor's running in sync with a Macbook Pro 15''. I intend to pick up a 49 key midi keyboard soon too.

I recently picked up the Maschine mkII with a purpose to produce music. I have no DAW as of now, but am looking to purchase the new Logic Pro X. Does this come with various vst's or do I need to buy them separately?
I may also purchase Komplete 9, is this a bang for its buck, and would it work in Logic Pro X? or do you suggest something else. I own massive and 3gb of a library that came with my Maschine mkII.

I believe an audio interface would work well with my emerging setup and can't really decide what to go with.

I've heard the akai eie pro has a lot of issues and hence started looking into Focusrite (who also claim to have latency issues because of the drivers) and RME (which I have no idea regarding).

Since you have a brief idea of what my set up is going to be like would you be able to suggest something decent. My price range extends to $300. Won't be able to buy one with a return policy because I'll be buying it abroad. So trying it out and then setting my mind on one wont be possible.

Thanks Alot, Anticipating an early response!
Olene Minyard
I use a lot of DAWs. I use Reason 7 rewired into Ableton 9 as my maind production suite. I then export and use Cubase 7 for the mastering phase and to enhance any midi editing that's needed (due to Cubase's superior midi controls). However, I am considering getting Logic X to try it out as it seems like it could be an all in one solution.

As for interface, I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which can be picked up for cheap. Perfect for portability as it's small and has 2 ins with phantom power so ideal if you ever want to record anything. I also use Maschine and an Oxygen 8 as my midi inputs into my DAWs.

I also have a copy of genuine Komplete 8 with de-authorised serial that I'm looking to sell if you're interested
Gisele Engstrand

I would get a powered USB hub, so you can run more devices at once. For a (external) soundcard I am using the Behringer U-Control UCA202, its good and I have had it for about 3 months and so far have had no problems. The best part is that it costs $21-30(USD), it has 1 Red/White output, 1 Red/White input and one headphone jack. You should be fine with one output and input, if you are not recording. I don't know what your setup is so you might need more in/outs.
Hope this helps!
Genesis Sivek
Thats great advice! Thanks a lot! But i will need an audio interface as my laptop has crappy latency.
Ming Devis

If you're starting out just buy a DAW and use Maschine for creating beats/sampling. Logic and Maschine will have enough instruments and sounds to keep you happy for a long time plus you get an extremely in depth synth with Massive as well.
I wouldn't spend the money on Komplete yet, too much will distract you, learn how to construct a song properly in logic before you worry about a 100gb of sounds and plug ins.
My 2cents
Genesis Sivek
Originally Posted by nesbit
I would recommend buying a usb hub (just because they come in handy) and I would start researching different VST's/ AU(AU's are only for mac). IE Sylenth, Massive. Remember to have fun!

Gisele Engstrand
Ervin Calvery
Bostein,

How's the akai eie pro?
If you aren't recording anything, you certainly don't need 4 ins.
I don't know whether it will reduce your latency. I can run Ableton with very low latency on Apogee interfaces reliably, and NI interfaces with Ableton crashing now and then. Logic Pro X is very new and not developed to work with specific hardware (soundcards, etc like older versions of Pro Tools), so it's really hard to say whether this sound card will have any value to you at all.

I love the fact that it has 3 other usb ports.
I like the hub feature in my Kontrol Z2 when playing out with more minimal setups, but I need 14+ USB ports at home. I use a Manhattan hub which has 28, so I can't really comment on whether that feature will be convenient.

Also, do i need to connect up my dj gear into the soundcard or not?
No
Genesis Sivek
Bostein,

How's the akai eie pro? I love the fact that it has 3 other usb ports. Also, do i need to connect up my dj gear into the soundcard or not?
Genesis Sivek
Originally Posted by fokaisnake
I use Ableton and it works out great with my MK2. Dragging and dropping groups into Ableton really speeds up the creative process but i'm pretty sure this works other DAWs as well. I just picked up a Focusrite 2i4 and haven't had any issues with it yet.
Thats great! What's the learning curve on ableton compared to logic? I mean difficulty level of getting good with it?

Important to know : Do I (rather should I) connect up my Traktor S4 into the audio interface or is just for my midi keyboard, monitors and future mic?
Ervin Calvery
I use an Apogee Duet 2 most of the time. I like the Symphony the best (way out of your price range and not ideal with a laptop).
Nevada Edgette
Genesis Sivek
Hey botstein,

I intend to reduce latency with the interface. I don't plan to record guitars or voice in the near future, but may later on.
Ervin Calvery
You can certainly use Komplete's VSTs in Logic.
Logic does come with some plugins and content.

What are you recording through the audio interface? Guitars? Voice?

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy