I fail at producing melodies pls help

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: I fail at producing melodies pls helpReply
I fail at producing melodies pls help
Posted on: 05.07.2013 by Arletta Niimi
hi ive been Djing for years as a hobby it was my favourite hobby till today. Today i figured out that i cant produce the melodies that ar ein my mind . I've always been creative and i love being creative thanks God, I have so many ideas but when it come sto the piano roll i fail it doens thave the rythm i had in my mind its a fail. i can produce beas and bass and stuff but not this for some reason pls help me

*Also ve been producing for long time but now i started with melodies na dive already watched many tutorials...
Flossie Flemm
Originally Posted by typeomega
getting a melody out of your head and into piano role can be really frustrating sometimes. concentrating on a piano role can lead to you forgetting parts of your idea before you can get them down or even lead in a completely different direction for your sound. what i have done myself to overcome this is not be anywhere near a piano role when i wright my melody. what i do is use a app on my phone to record via wave flies myself humming out the Melody i want. just go for a walk or take a drive and hum out the melody. then i get back to my studio i plug my phone in via usb and move the wav.s to my daw then work in 16 bar increments on piano role in a diff Chanel as the wave plays in the background on my "raw" Chanel letting me pretty much duplicate the melody note for note. this also can really help with note duration,velocity and timing. this has dramatically increased the rate and accuracy of me getting a tune out of my head and into the music.

hope this helps
Now why didn't i believe of that Dummy.............
Izola Larose
Originally Posted by AllDay
You could even vocode your humming or whatever and use that if you can sing or hum close enough on key.
i have actually done this in the past and humming in key intense a issue you can just use g-snap or auto-tune. the vocoder i use dose not automatically use your voice to select notes anyway, it uses your voice as a carrier and then you overlay chords using piano role in the modulator channel. you can come up with some really original sounding stuff this way as it takes elements of both your carrier and your modulator into something new. i tend not to do this however because going back and making small tweaks to the arrangement and layering can be limiting and tiresome
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by Woah
Yes it does, but I believe the last thing a person needs when facing issues with creativity is theory. I have learned it and haven't found it quite as usefull, only when your key's are clashing it comes in handy but otherwise it just creates an invisible barrier a set of "rules" about what will work and what doesn't.
I Definitely disagree with this. If you know theory and also understand that it isn't set in stone you are much better off.

Knowing chords instead of just using scales all the time will improve the hell out of your music.

OT theres a program for this problem exactly, deadmau5 used it for awhile, pretty sure its how ghosts n stuffs intro melody came about. I will look for the program tho op.

then i get back to my studio i plug my phone in via usb and move the wav.s to my daw then work in 16 bar increments on piano role in a diff Chanel as the wave plays in the background on my "raw" Chanel letting me pretty much duplicate the melody note for note. this also can really help with note duration,velocity and timing. this has dramatically increased the rate and accuracy of me getting a tune out of my head and into the music.

hope this helps
You could even vocode your humming or whatever and use that if you can sing or hum close enough on key.
Armanda Yankauskas
getting a melody out of your head and into piano role can be really frustrating sometimes. concentrating on a piano role can lead to you forgetting parts of your idea before you can get them down or even lead in a completely different direction for your sound. what i have done myself to overcome this is not be anywhere near a piano role when i wright my melody. what i do is use a app on my phone to record via wave flies myself humming out the Melody i want. just go for a walk or take a drive and hum out the melody. then i get back to my studio i plug my phone in via usb and move the wav.s to my daw then work in 16 bar increments on piano role in a diff Chanel as the wave plays in the background on my "raw" Chanel letting me pretty much duplicate the melody note for note. this also can really help with note duration,velocity and timing. this has dramatically increased the rate and accuracy of me getting a tune out of my head and into the music.

hope this helps
this is so fucking smart! i feel like a major idiot for never believeing of this lmao!
Arletta Niimi
hi ive been Djing for years as a hobby it was my favourite hobby till today. Today i figured out that i cant produce the melodies that ar ein my mind . I've always been creative and i love being creative thanks God, I have so many ideas but when it come sto the piano roll i fail it doens thave the rythm i had in my mind its a fail. i can produce beas and bass and stuff but not this for some reason pls help me

*Also ve been producing for long time but now i started with melodies na dive already watched many tutorials...
Tobias Merrills
@allday, i believe your believeing of cthulu. Its a sweet ass plugin than can assign chords to one note or middi trigger. Cant say i have used it but if the mau5 does then im sure it works great.

As far as laying down melodies theory will help you, if you are being taught it. Melodic ideas such as appagetura, escape tone,neighbor tones, passing tones. Are all time proven fundamentals of writing melodies.
For a basic idea most melodies move by a step, and those ideas i previously mentioned are ways to break moving by a step smoothly. And working in a piano roll is kind of like writing out notes on a staff paper. There isnt much musicality. Working on a 2 to 3 octave midi keyboard will give you alot of improvisation possibilities. There have been many times when i accidently discovered a new melodic idea just by trying to find the one in my head.
At the end of the day using a midi piano will make you a better musician, using piano roll wont. Nothing beats being at a place with a piano and being able to play a few songs or your own progessions.
Flossie Flemm

hope this helps
Now why didn't i believe of that Dummy.............
Izola Larose
Originally Posted by AllDay
i have actually done this in the past and humming in key intense a issue you can just use g-snap or auto-tune. the vocoder i use dose not automatically use your voice to select notes anyway, it uses your voice as a carrier and then you overlay chords using piano role in the modulator channel. you can come up with some really original sounding stuff this way as it takes elements of both your carrier and your modulator into something new. i tend not to do this however because going back and making small tweaks to the arrangement and layering can be limiting and tiresome
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
minor scales go a long way to understanding how to create melodies and can be learn't in a couple of days without imprinting your mind with rules you will never use.
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by Woah
Yes it does, but I believe the last thing a person needs when facing issues with creativity is theory. I have learned it and haven't found it quite as usefull, only when your key's are clashing it comes in handy but otherwise it just creates an invisible barrier a set of "rules" about what will work and what doesn't.
I Definitely disagree with this. If you know theory and also understand that it isn't set in stone you are much better off.

Knowing chords instead of just using scales all the time will improve the hell out of your music.

OT theres a program for this problem exactly, deadmau5 used it for awhile, pretty sure its how ghosts n stuffs intro melody came about. I will look for the program tho op.

then i get back to my studio i plug my phone in via usb and move the wav.s to my daw then work in 16 bar increments on piano role in a diff Chanel as the wave plays in the background on my "raw" Chanel letting me pretty much duplicate the melody note for note. this also can really help with note duration,velocity and timing. this has dramatically increased the rate and accuracy of me getting a tune out of my head and into the music.

hope this helps
Sydney Lashway
Typeomega nailed it.

That's pretty much what I do minus the 2013 tech lol. I have a deep seeded hatred for piano rolls. If I'm working on a melody I sit down with my guitar and do the same thing hum it out and then recreate it on my guitar. I believe it's easier to do with a piano as that's how I did it for years but I don't have one where I live.
Armanda Yankauskas

hope this helps
this is so fucking smart! i feel like a major idiot for never believeing of this lmao!
Izola Larose

hope this helps
Devora Chait
Nedra Fresneda
Knowing your scales and chords will speed it up quite a bit.
Devora Chait
I don't believe the toolset is the problem though. The person using the toolset is more important, you really don't need to know theory for putting down a melody.
Nedra Fresneda
Studying some music theory will give you the a pretty nice toolset to work with.

Forget the piano roll, get a midi controller or even use your computer's keyboard an play on that. Clicking in the piano roll isn't very natural and tends to get in the way when you want to download that melody from your head.
Devora Chait
Why can't you put a melody that's in your head on the piano roll? It's just a click on the screen? Sadly there are no tutorials for coming up with ideas, the way I approach melody's at first is just letting the beat play, press record on a new clip and start jamming to it.

At the end I got an extremely long track and I listen to it and cut out the part's I really like. This also let's the melody feel more "alive" because it has been done in the moment while I was having fun. Good luck!
Berta Baie
practice, practice, practice

Unfortunately some people are better at this than other naturally, for others it just takes work. There's no magic bullet here. Just keep at it and you'll get it eventually.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy