Recommendation on a turntable for producing

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Recommendation on a turntable for producingReply
Recommendation on a turntable for producing
Posted on: 05.07.2013 by Jerome Burruss
Hey guys,

I am looking for a good turntable to use with my setup so I can start using some samples in my mixes. There will be no scratching done on this, and I will never use it live. Something that has good tone and is easy to use? I just really want to use some record samples!

Thanks all.

Rebbecca Fennell
Originally Posted by DJ Asand
Always coming across useful information on here.

Would this still apply for.. Numark TTX + Maschine?

yup, that's how i do it. vestax into maschine in vintage mode at +50 percent, pitch it down twelve semitones if i want it at it's original pitch. sounds pretty solid and more authentically like real sampling with an mpc60/sp12.
Ralph Alderette
Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant
vestax pdx2000.

it's got a +/- 50% pitch range, this is very useful for a couple reasons - a. slowed down all the way you get some interesting samples; b. sped up all the way you can save sample memory and get that classic nineties sample sound by pitching it back down in the sampler.

Jerome Burruss
Hey guys,

I am looking for a good turntable to use with my setup so I can start using some samples in my mixes. There will be no scratching done on this, and I will never use it live. Something that has good tone and is easy to use? I just really want to use some record samples!

Thanks all.

Rebbecca Fennell
another reason to consider the vestax though - i got mine in nearly perfect condition for like 150 because one of the feet broke off. it's not even issue, set it on a flat surface on top of the foot you don't even notice any wobble or nothing. great turntable that can be had for cheap
Rebbecca Fennell
Originally Posted by DJ Asand

yup, that's how i do it. vestax into maschine in vintage mode at +50 percent, pitch it down twelve semitones if i want it at it's original pitch. sounds pretty solid and more authentically like real sampling with an mpc60/sp12.
Tracy Wansing
numark tt200. its one of their lower end directdrives. i would still recommend a directdrive cuz you can be a little more hands on with your vinyl/platter should you need to.

i would also suggest the numark tt1625. it's their lowest end directdrive. not sure if it's still made though.

but if you can afford it, by all means pick up a numark ttx usb!

tone/sound will mainly come down to the needles/carts that you decide to use.
Ralph Alderette
Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant
vestax pdx2000.

it's got a +/- 50% pitch range, this is very useful for a couple reasons - a. slowed down all the way you get some interesting samples; b. sped up all the way you can save sample memory and get that classic nineties sample sound by pitching it back down in the sampler.

Rebbecca Fennell
vestax pdx2000.

Nikole Resende
If you're serious about using samples from your records in your production I wouldn't recommend any of those USB models.

They are designed for consumer use, i.e. people who want to digitize their records for use with their mp3 players. The audio quality of these things shouldn't be to good.

The Numark model comes at about 100$, which is actually less than a decent audio-interface would cost, but in Numarks case it's an audio-interface with a complete turntable built around it...

I would recommend looking for a good (used) hi-fi turntable. Nothing fancy, but make sure it's of good quality, preferably by a brand that has a reputation of being audiophile.
Sydney Lashway
Second RodmanSan. If you're just going to be using the TT's to sample in records, the USB models look cool. I have a Sony, direct drive with built in pre-amps from the 80s. Again I don't really need to the direct drive, but the built in pre-amp comes in handy and it costed me $50 CAD with dust covers, extra head and a cleaning brush. Unfortunately I don't get to travel with it and I haven't been in my own home for over a year.
Harvey Mcintyre
If you want to go not wasting to much money....a Numark USB TT would be more then sufficient for pulling samples from..
Dannie Dimora
Any hifi turntable will do. Direct drive motors are not needed in this case, so really anything non-dj that is not a fischer-price turntable should do the trick

The ATH Danek mentioned is a prime example.

I would reccommend something along these lines tho

Dia Laryea
Audio-Technica AT-LP60 is good if you plan on just using it to play Vinyl. Decent price as well.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy