how do I connect a pair of active monitors to my laptop?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: how do I connect a pair of active monitors to my laptop?Reply
how do I connect a pair of active monitors to my laptop?
Posted on: 24.07.2013 by Bernard Pulizzi
Hello all, the question IS as dumb and seemingly simple to answer as it reads.. I am looking to connect a pair of Yamaha HS5 active studio monitors to my laptop for music production (I've been at it a while, and I'm done using headphones as my primary production gear).

The monitors have XLR outs, what gear to do I need to get them to connect to my laptop so that I can have a nice, accurate stereo image?

I already have one pair of HS5 monitors, which are connected to my pioneer decks using XLR to RCA, but this is going to be my second set, keeping one set soley for DJing and one for production.

Any help is appreciated,

thanks x
Bernard Pulizzi
Hello all, the question IS as dumb and seemingly simple to answer as it reads.. I am looking to connect a pair of Yamaha HS5 active studio monitors to my laptop for music production (I've been at it a while, and I'm done using headphones as my primary production gear).

The monitors have XLR outs, what gear to do I need to get them to connect to my laptop so that I can have a nice, accurate stereo image?

I already have one pair of HS5 monitors, which are connected to my pioneer decks using XLR to RCA, but this is going to be my second set, keeping one set soley for DJing and one for production.

Any help is appreciated,

thanks x
Rolanda Clodfelder
Yep

plus with my summer job I have more money than sense haha!
Lucky you haha !
Bernard Pulizzi
A simple audio switching box would have saved you needing a second set of monitors mind you
in my room I can't have my decks near my production desk as that desk also doubles as a place for coursework etc, plus with my summer job I have more money than sense haha!

So I would just need an audio interface and the correct cables to connect the monitors to my laptop yes?
Rolanda Clodfelder
Your HS5's also have a TRS input ... if you want to connect from the laptop's headphone jack to the monitors..

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP153-Ca.../dp/B000068O3C

The monitors have XLR outs
Ins

A simple audio switching box would have saved you needing a second set of monitors mind you
Rufus Ondrick
i would use a soundcard that has XLR or TS outs. check out the focusrite 2i2 has some inputs for mic and other instruments for your recording. and u can use a pair of 1/4 TS to XLR cable for your monitors

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy