I need feedback from random people. Please help.

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: I need feedback from random people. Please help.Reply
I need feedback from random people. Please help.
Posted on: 06.08.2013 by Rachael Dalzell
Hi there. East here.

I'm in a rut, and would love some feedback on one or two of my WIP tunes. I'll post them below.

1.http://soundcloud.com/eastmusic/dead-and-walking-wip

2.https://soundcloud.com/eastmusic/meat-puppet-wip

I produce in Fl Studio, I use mostly massive, nexus, and a few freeware synths. Drums come from a million sources, usually EQ'd/stacked to hell and back.

I appreciate your time, if given. Also, any tips for getting out of a rut? I believe it's my job, it makes me melancholy which leads me to only produce ambient and piano work. I want to focus on DnB with headbanging sections interspersed throughout.

Don't hold back, I'm a grown ass man, I can (hopefully) take real crits.

Once again, thanks.
Rachael Dalzell
Hi there. East here.

I'm in a rut, and would love some feedback on one or two of my WIP tunes. I'll post them below.

1.http://soundcloud.com/eastmusic/dead-and-walking-wip

2.https://soundcloud.com/eastmusic/meat-puppet-wip

I produce in Fl Studio, I use mostly massive, nexus, and a few freeware synths. Drums come from a million sources, usually EQ'd/stacked to hell and back.

I appreciate your time, if given. Also, any tips for getting out of a rut? I believe it's my job, it makes me melancholy which leads me to only produce ambient and piano work. I want to focus on DnB with headbanging sections interspersed throughout.

Don't hold back, I'm a grown ass man, I can (hopefully) take real crits.

Once again, thanks.
Monserrate Rupnow
Meat Puppet - It's too fucking loud for one. I don't know some good ideas I believe you're just way overdoing the effects and compression and what not to my ears. You've taken some great ideas and sounds and made them totally flat and one-dimensional and boring. Trying too hard to shove everything into a tiny hole for the sake of loudness. Forget volume get rid of all the EQ and Compression, and post a mix with just the raw sounds. I bet it's 20x better.
Tobias Merrills
You have solid ideas in dead and walking. The only thing holding that song back is perhaps some proper EQing. If you have a frequency analyzer, or one on the EQ you have, take a look at it when you have two sounds in a similar frequency range. While you should mix with your ears, seeing the audio can help in making decisions. Try to make sure every sound has its own "pocket" or has a different texture than the similar one. Still make sure to clear out any unnecessary low frequencies.
Think of how a typical 3 piece band works. Every instrument occupies a different pocket of frequencies. But then some smart ass might say, what about the kick and bass. Well the kick has more batter attack and thud, the bass is usually smoother and lower. Thats how they EQ themselves without trying lol.
Anyways i hope this helps.
Pansy Morser
Ok I'm no expert but here comes the Crit!

Sound design: Some cool noize parts get some high blipps together with that noize and it'll sound fresh to.
You need motion in your songs.... each sound and the whole arrangement needs modulation (long and short).
I used Fl many years back and i hated working with that stuff in Fl. Maybe it is the same today? Use a midikeyboard or a controller.

I do believe that you overwork your sounds....am I right? Should start out making your track without any fx in the send\return or master channels in Fl. Work with the basis of the sound until your ready to move on. The only things I have on is either a lowpass filter or a highpass filter.......Anyway that is what i would do to compensate for overworking my sounds. if you have nexus and massive there should be a lot of options on the synths, Get to know them all This is what you use EQ for (mostly) If it ends up feeling empty try using Reverb. Noizes sound so much better with a good reverb on it!!

Arrangement: You have some good ideas, drum and bass feel, Nice set of drums. There is to much cluttering the sound picture and you don't end up with a distinct sound. The last part of any prosses should be destructive, meaning, Take stuff out. You play it simplistic and keep on doing it, but do remember to make it groovy.

I believe the Dead and walking is a good track, try make other sound rise out of the track...like the toms, use dely on them and make them go from left to right, change the pattern, play around with your sounds and we will keep listening.

All the best
Aion

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy