software recommendation for finger drumming?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: software recommendation for finger drumming?Reply
software recommendation for finger drumming?
Posted on: 23.08.2013 by Christia Luciani
Hi im just getting in to the midi fighter after selling my mpc a few months ago, I just want to use it as a drum machine really with some effects, I'm having trouble tho finding what software id need because I don't know much about it, I want to record my finder dumming and create loops so that I can scratch over on the decks, ive looked at abelton and traktor but don't know what's best? Is reaper suitable because that's free to download and the less money I can spend the better lol, also id want quantization? Is there software just for drumming?
Any help would be great thanks
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by BiggChev
@Bot

I feel like we're turning into Evangelist for Maschine lol
I just like it. I also work with KMI and MM, as I say in my signature. I want people to make music and be happy.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by pich
Would the maschine mikro be any good? I know I should get the maschine but for some reason the midi fighter looks way cool but im believeing it's for of a performance controller not really a production one, I guess it could be used for that purpose but the maschine was built for that purpose. Arghh I hate decisions lol
The Maschine mk2 is a much better experience than either the micro mk2 or the original mikro. The original Maschine would be my second choice.

You were looking for software, so the midi fighter will not help you. Also, it isn't particularly expressive because it has buttons as opposed to pads, and does not have velocity sensitivity, channel after touch, polyphonic after touch, x-y location information like the QuNeo, or any knobs, encoders, or faders.

Software wise, your best bet is really Maschine or Ableton, but there are also other competitors.
Ervin Calvery
Thanks for the heads up, I just want to be able to produce a loop similar to the mpc style, where the metronome ticks then you tap a beat out and it'll record it, then it keeps looping while its recording and you can lay another track like synths over it to make a beat,
Just get Maschine, seriously. Maschine is obviously inspired by MPCs of old. This is super easy to do.

my friend says most daws do this tho, is this true? Im believeing ableton lite to get me started or reaper maybe, ive heard of one called fx guies or something too?
Ableton is great, but you'll miss the features that come with the full version. Reaper is definitely not going to help you with any live finger drumming stuff.

FXpansion makes a product called Geist but it's not really great for finger drumming. It's cool for programming, though.
Nikole Resende
Thanks for the heads up, I just want to be able to produce a loop similar to the mpc style, where the metronome ticks then you tap a beat out and it'll record it, then it keeps looping while its recording and you can lay another track like synths over it to make a beat, my friend says most daws do this tho, is this true? Im believeing ableton lite to get me started or reaper maybe, ive heard of one called fx guies or something too?
Maschine is THE best option for you... It's basically like the next evolutionary step from the MPC, providing an MPC style hardware controller in combination with dedicated software.

is an example of how you can make beats completely in Maschine.

There's many more videos out there, just search youtube and you will find a lot more examples.

Thanks guys, would the midi fighter work with maschine tho?
Maschine can do so much more than the midi fighter. You wouldn't try operating an MPC with a midi fighter, would you?
Nidia Mineart
I believe it would, I've connected a couple of midi devices to maschine before, keyboards, etc.

So i believe using the same logic you could, of course you'd be limited to the midi controls on your midi fighter which im guessing you'd probably use to fire up the 16 pads.

Let me know if you try it.
Ervin Calvery
Hi im just getting in to the midi fighter after selling my mpc a few months ago, I just want to use it as a drum machine really with some effects, I'm having trouble tho finding what software id need because I don't know much about it, I want to record my finder dumming and create loops so that I can scratch over on the decks, ive looked at abelton and traktor but don't know what's best? Is reaper suitable because that's free to download and the less money I can spend the better lol, also id want quantization? Is there software just for drumming?
Maschine
Christia Luciani
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by BiggChev
@Bot

I just like it. I also work with KMI and MM, as I say in my signature. I want people to make music and be happy.
Ervin Calvery
Would the maschine mikro be any good? I know I should get the maschine but for some reason the midi fighter looks way cool but im believeing it's for of a performance controller not really a production one, I guess it could be used for that purpose but the maschine was built for that purpose. Arghh I hate decisions lol
The Maschine mk2 is a much better experience than either the micro mk2 or the original mikro. The original Maschine would be my second choice.

You were looking for software, so the midi fighter will not help you. Also, it isn't particularly expressive because it has buttons as opposed to pads, and does not have velocity sensitivity, channel after touch, polyphonic after touch, x-y location information like the QuNeo, or any knobs, encoders, or faders.

Software wise, your best bet is really Maschine or Ableton, but there are also other competitors.
Christia Luciani
Sydney Lashway
@Bot

Ervin Calvery
Thanks for the heads up, I just want to be able to produce a loop similar to the mpc style, where the metronome ticks then you tap a beat out and it'll record it, then it keeps looping while its recording and you can lay another track like synths over it to make a beat,
Just get Maschine, seriously. Maschine is obviously inspired by MPCs of old. This is super easy to do.

my friend says most daws do this tho, is this true? Im believeing ableton lite to get me started or reaper maybe, ive heard of one called fx guies or something too?
Ableton is great, but you'll miss the features that come with the full version. Reaper is definitely not going to help you with any live finger drumming stuff.

FXpansion makes a product called Geist but it's not really great for finger drumming. It's cool for programming, though.
Nikole Resende
Thanks for the heads up, I just want to be able to produce a loop similar to the mpc style, where the metronome ticks then you tap a beat out and it'll record it, then it keeps looping while its recording and you can lay another track like synths over it to make a beat, my friend says most daws do this tho, is this true? Im believeing ableton lite to get me started or reaper maybe, ive heard of one called fx guies or something too?
Maschine is THE best option for you... It's basically like the next evolutionary step from the MPC, providing an MPC style hardware controller in combination with dedicated software.

is an example of how you can make beats completely in Maschine.

There's many more videos out there, just search youtube and you will find a lot more examples.

Maschine can do so much more than the midi fighter. You wouldn't try operating an MPC with a midi fighter, would you?
Christia Luciani
Sydney Lashway
as far as I know,

Negative the MIDI Fighter will not work with the Maschine.

"Maschine" is a Hardware/Software hybrid. The Maschine it self (hardware) is a dedicated controller for the Maschine software. All it does is communicate with the software via MIDI. As mentioned the hardware really doesn't do anything. It's been optimized (rather the software has been optimized) so that you can do everything, and I mean damn near everything, straight from the hardware.
Nidia Mineart
I believe it would, I've connected a couple of midi devices to maschine before, keyboards, etc.

So i believe using the same logic you could, of course you'd be limited to the midi controls on your midi fighter which im guessing you'd probably use to fire up the 16 pads.

Let me know if you try it.
Christia Luciani
Christia Luciani
Thanks for your advice guys, would the midi fighter work with that? Could I record my finger drumming then add other tracks over it?
Sydney Lashway
Bot beat me to it...

Maschine all day.

It really is more than just an MPC style drum machine. It's a pretty all encompassing DAW (software+hardware combo).
Ervin Calvery
Maschine

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy