Using Traktor as your DAW

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Using Traktor as your DAWReply
Using Traktor as your DAW
Posted on: 27.08.2013 by Shela Toumey
Hey All,
I am just wondering if anyone uses Traktor as a DAW. What I mean by that is, now with the remix sets all setup, you go in make your stems and samples in a different software, and then play and record your track using a controller like the F1. One of my friends is currently doing that with mashups/remixes (which i feel is what it is intended for), but I'm just wondering what the drawbacks would be making an original production like this. And before I get answers like "you can't shape your individual sounds", we are talking all that is setup. So you have spent the time making a drum track and synths, they are complete, you are just using traktor to layout your work. Let me know what you believe.

Thanks,
PHader
Monserrate Rupnow
Originally Posted by AllDay
Using loop samples only isn't new and its pretty frowned upon in the electronic scene.
Shit! Thanks for the heads up.
Shela Toumey
Hey All,
I am just wondering if anyone uses Traktor as a DAW. What I mean by that is, now with the remix sets all setup, you go in make your stems and samples in a different software, and then play and record your track using a controller like the F1. One of my friends is currently doing that with mashups/remixes (which i feel is what it is intended for), but I'm just wondering what the drawbacks would be making an original production like this. And before I get answers like "you can't shape your individual sounds", we are talking all that is setup. So you have spent the time making a drum track and synths, they are complete, you are just using traktor to layout your work. Let me know what you believe.

Thanks,
PHader
Brunilda Kora
Monserrate Rupnow
Originally Posted by AllDay
Using loop samples only isn't new and its pretty frowned upon in the electronic scene.
Shit! Thanks for the heads up.
Brunilda Kora
Sounds foolish to me. You'd have to do an absoutely perfect take of an entire track to get a full recording.

If you are doing all of the prepping anyway, you might as well use Ableton Live with your samples loaded in a Drum Rack that is mapped to a controller.
Tera Baragan
Racquel Matsumoto
This is pretty innovative, and would probably lead to a totally different style of music making. Maybe worth trying to shake up one's methods a little bit. If nothing else, it would really hone your live performance skills and ability to make arrangements on the fly.

The limitations already mentioned could be over-come:
-cannot edit your sounds: use soundforge or something to hone them beforehand. works for burial, and jeremy ellis plays things back at full velocity live
-track limits: remember 4 track audio? the trick they used was to bounce and add more layers. loop recorder!
-side chain compression: build them into your samples ahead of time. have versions with and without if necessary
-mixing and mastering: okay, totally not possible. personally i like to keep these stages separate from arrangement anyways
Shela Toumey
that's how I felt, overall I'm sticking to ableton. The other thing with that is 16 tracks for just that performance, so if you want to dj it live, you'll have to drop at minimum 4 banks to bring in something else.
Emelina Chillson
I couldnt imagine only being limited to 16 tracks of live audio. Ive used the remix decks fro multi track stuff, but have found performance mode (FL) and live to be way simpler and easier. Especially when you have a need for sidechain compression and eqing.
Shela Toumey
That is what I said, but i guess he is going about it the fatboy slim way, and just ripping samples and/or buying sample kits.
Monserrate Rupnow
Well you're still going to have to do all that if you're preparing and creating the sounds ahead of time though, right?
Shela Toumey
That is what I thought, but he is saying that overall that is allowing him to really perfecting traktor vs having to shuffle around in a bunch of vst's and what have you then sequencing it out in Ableton.
Monserrate Rupnow
I could see it being possible, but it seems like an awfully tedious and limiting way to work personally.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy