Looking into my first piece of producing hardware

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Looking into my first piece of producing hardwareReply
Looking into my first piece of producing hardware
Posted on: 13.09.2013 by Hellen Mindrup
Just looking for your opinions really.. I am jumping back into production here and I already have the basic knowledge of Ableton and all that. But when it comes to the hardware, I'm a newbie. I'm a bit torn between the Launchpad by Novation, and the APC40. I am more set into grabbing a Launchpad since it's a bit cheaper, but I don't want to get it, and feel "limited" in it's use and hate myself for not saving up the extra chunk of cash.

Anyone here have the two, and would like to maybe convince me that saving up for the APC would be a better idea?
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by R01
It sort of depends on how you work and you're budget. I concur with Tarekith (as usual), the Push is a very good all in one solution for Live users. It's also probably the best early investment you can make as a first piece of gear, since it can do pretty much everything you need: rhythm, melody, arranging, tweaking, etc. The APC is by no means a bad controller, you're just going to be more limited by it, and have to get real good at Midi mapping/switching to control your entire DAW with it. The Push comes out of the box ready to control most of Live intuitively.

As you get more invested you'll see what you're lacking, this is when you can expand. You can always add extra controllers to control parameters you need locked, or a Midi keyboard to actually play chords & melodies, stuff like that. Just figure the first major investment is going to be the heart of your production process.
Thank you for the response.. I believe I am going to roll with the Launchpad to start, just to see how I like it. It isn't going to kill me financially, and I believe it should suit me fine. If I like the way things go, I'll end up grabbing the Push.
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by alchemy
called me crazy, but with production I tend to use more the mouse and keyboard than everything.
maybe a MIDI keyboard for jamming some riffs, but after that is all mainly micro editing.

learn all the keyboard shortcuts!

and organize your project so that everything is just a few clicks away!
That's how I used to do it, but I just can't sit around anymore clicking shit.. I get bored(A.D.D). I need something I can physically use at this point to suck me back into the art.
Hellen Mindrup
Just looking for your opinions really.. I am jumping back into production here and I already have the basic knowledge of Ableton and all that. But when it comes to the hardware, I'm a newbie. I'm a bit torn between the Launchpad by Novation, and the APC40. I am more set into grabbing a Launchpad since it's a bit cheaper, but I don't want to get it, and feel "limited" in it's use and hate myself for not saving up the extra chunk of cash.

Anyone here have the two, and would like to maybe convince me that saving up for the APC would be a better idea?
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by R01
It sort of depends on how you work and you're budget. I concur with Tarekith (as usual), the Push is a very good all in one solution for Live users. It's also probably the best early investment you can make as a first piece of gear, since it can do pretty much everything you need: rhythm, melody, arranging, tweaking, etc. The APC is by no means a bad controller, you're just going to be more limited by it, and have to get real good at Midi mapping/switching to control your entire DAW with it. The Push comes out of the box ready to control most of Live intuitively.

As you get more invested you'll see what you're lacking, this is when you can expand. You can always add extra controllers to control parameters you need locked, or a Midi keyboard to actually play chords & melodies, stuff like that. Just figure the first major investment is going to be the heart of your production process.
Thank you for the response.. I believe I am going to roll with the Launchpad to start, just to see how I like it. It isn't going to kill me financially, and I believe it should suit me fine. If I like the way things go, I'll end up grabbing the Push.
Trey Brune

Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by alchemy
called me crazy, but with production I tend to use more the mouse and keyboard than everything.
maybe a MIDI keyboard for jamming some riffs, but after that is all mainly micro editing.

That's how I used to do it, but I just can't sit around anymore clicking shit.. I get bored(A.D.D). I need something I can physically use at this point to suck me back into the art.
Luciano Hyppolite

Monserrate Rupnow
If you're using Live, I'd recommend a Push instead of the APC40.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy