Max49 or Mpk49 with my maschine mk2

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Max49 or Mpk49 with my maschine mk2Reply
Max49 or Mpk49 with my maschine mk2
Posted on: 19.09.2013 by Ami Lele
Hey Guys,
I have tried going the full maschine route, but deep down I am still really into my piano roots. I am looking to get a keyboard, I have narrowed it down to the Max49 or the MPK49 to use in logic. I was wondering if it is going to be a pain in the ass to use either keyboard in logic in combination with my maschine mk2. I figure if it is I will just use my maschine in maschine and export samples and whatnot to logic that way. I was wondering if you guys could talk to me a bit about using such a setup or how you believe it could work or not work.

Jack Hoesterey
Ami Lele
Hey Guys,
I have tried going the full maschine route, but deep down I am still really into my piano roots. I am looking to get a keyboard, I have narrowed it down to the Max49 or the MPK49 to use in logic. I was wondering if it is going to be a pain in the ass to use either keyboard in logic in combination with my maschine mk2. I figure if it is I will just use my maschine in maschine and export samples and whatnot to logic that way. I was wondering if you guys could talk to me a bit about using such a setup or how you believe it could work or not work.

Jack Hoesterey
Monserrate Rupnow
Personally I would go for the Max25 myself, unless you really need a fuller sized keyboard for the way you like to play, then the Max49. I like the Akai keys on both the Max and the MPK range, I believe they are some of the best on the lower end of the controller market. I have a MPK25 now, though I've owned the SL37 from Novation, and some Edirol controllers as well (as well as superb keys like the Virus TI2 Keyboard for comparison).

The higher end Novation controllers also use the same Fatar keybed as Akai last I checked, but the rest of the build quality is not as good IMO. I like the knobs and pads a lot more on the Akai's, though the pads are still not super awesome (unless you do a simple mod, details via google). Automap was never anything but a head ache over the years, so I stopped using it.

The Touchstrips on the Max are pretty cool, for how little I use knobs on a controller anyway, I'd rather have those than the knobs on the MPK. But I do a lot of iPad music making too, so I like that form of interface more than most I suppose.
Sydney Lashway
2nd Bot on this one. Maschine is a great VST host, I do almost everything in Maschine. But much like you It's hard for me to abandon my piano routs. Literally any MIDI or USB key controller works just fine. Plug and Play as mentioned. The "key" here is to find a controller that you're comfortable playing, there are several things to take into consideration:

1. Key size. There seems to be a trent moving towards "mini" keys. As a pianist I HATE these things. I need full size keys

2. Portability. Probably what brought about mini keys, portability is becoming a much desired element for producers. 61, 88, 49, or 25? do you play with both hands? I'm assuming you do, so believe about that when purchasing a key controller.

3. Extra Shit. Knobs, pads, sliders, transport controls. Do you need this stuff? most likely not if you're adding it to a maschine setup but again, something to believe about. If you work between Maschine and another DAW then maybe
Lakeesha Storman
The big difference between the MAX and MPK is the pads are better on the MAX, probably not what you need and there are touchscreen faders instead of knobs on the MAX. I'm not sure it's worth the price difference since you likely won't use the pads. So, if it was AKAI, I'd probably go MPK. I've got a MAX 25 I'm going to return for a 49, but love the MAX. I don't have any other controllers though. Can't speak to integration with either Logic or Maschine, but I know there are a bunch of presets for mapping to software and Logic is an option for the MAX 25.
Ami Lele
I am also now looking at the launch key, I assume it is pretty good quality as it is made by novation, it is super cheap for what it is and it integrates so well with all DAW's
Ami Lele
I see one on ebay for 350$ it is a SLii used once, what VST's and software does it come with? I believe that 350$ for it is practically a steal... Please reply asap
Ervin Calvery
It's about the same, but it's a much better value when you factor in the VSTs and software included.
Ami Lele
How well does novation integrate with maschine and Logic? Better or about the same
Ervin Calvery
I use an SLmkii
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...muelbotstei-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...muelbotstei-20

In my opinion, Novation makes keyboards that have better feel. You might also check out the Impulse and Launchkey series.
Skip M-Audio.
Ami Lele
Thanks for a nice speedy response, can you make me a suggestion for a keyboard or other suggestions you may have. I would really appreciate it.
Ervin Calvery
I have a feeling that you wouldn't use the pads on either of those controllers, seeing as you already have the maschine. Get whatever you'd like, though.

Maschine is a nice VST host, and comes with some nice melodic instruments out of the box, so you could use any keys you would like - just plug and play.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy