Madeon kick+snare punchiness? How?!?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Madeon kick+snare punchiness? How?!?Reply
Madeon kick+snare punchiness? How?!?
Posted on: 23.09.2013 by Dannie Dimora
Technicolor.. Kick.. Snare... Punchy... HOW THE...
Kid's 18 ffs
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Maven
Well also, keep in mind that his tracks probably get professionally mastered or professionally mixed. It is years and years of experience. Eventho he is 18, he has been producing since he is 13 so he has 5 years under his belt. Age doesn't mean anything. It is amount of time you put into this.
The absolute worst thing here is that i've been producing since i was 9 :P i did rock tho, started edm just a couple years ago.
Still, this makes me doubt in my ability to learn anything at all.
Dannie Dimora
Technicolor.. Kick.. Snare... Punchy... HOW THE...
Kid's 18 ffs
Rodolfo Oriol
Don't know if you already done this, but put the snare just a few few milliseconds behind the actual hit. This will give it a better "smack" and a more natural feel. Madeon put tons of small details into his production. Maybe try to put a very tiny bit of white noise infront of the snare you have, it may give it clarity and a very punchy snare.
Jospeh Verone
I just started producing. I'm gonna throw up my first actual track that doesn't totally suck on soundcloud in a minute.
Yukiko Beauvil
Well if you started edm recently then, it is really different than traditional record producing like rock. Just keep learning, one thing I noticed is that do not try to write the best song ever all the time, just write music and finish your tracks. More you finish, you will see that your sound quality improves faster. You don't have to put everything you make on soundcloud. Just finish the track and then start another one.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Maven
Well also, keep in mind that his tracks probably get professionally mastered or professionally mixed. It is years and years of experience. Eventho he is 18, he has been producing since he is 13 so he has 5 years under his belt. Age doesn't mean anything. It is amount of time you put into this.
The absolute worst thing here is that i've been producing since i was 9 :P i did rock tho, started edm just a couple years ago.
Still, this makes me doubt in my ability to learn anything at all.
Yukiko Beauvil
Dannie Dimora
Thanks for the help guys.. Thing is i've already layered my kicks and snares, but i can't get them
LOUD and massive enough, sidechained everything, bussed together basses with basses, pads with pads and synths with synths, eq-ed everything to let the kick breathe, compacted everything under 250hz from stereo to mono, but it just isn't... Loud enough.
Yukiko Beauvil
So many things can contribute to that. Space is really important. Make sure kickdrum has its own space in the frequency range, for example if you have a kickdrum that occupies 55HZ area, you shouldn't have anything overlapping that frequency so your speaker cones can push that frequency with full compression and rearfaction. Make sure you high pass everything that is not bass element from your individual channels.

With the Snare, you can layer 2 Snare that you like the tone of, one would carry that body and other part you can layer either with another snare or a clap to have that thwack sound, that will help it cut through the mix but with the body it will be full.

For high quality samples with processing possibility, I really suggest Wave Alchemy or Sample Magic. Vengeance samples are also good but if you like to process your samples, vengeance stuff are already processed and ready to go so further processing doesn't do them good.
Jospeh Verone
I would suggest layering and mixing a few high quality snare samples you like and then exporting as a .wav file to ge a perfect super-snare.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy