Question about demos for music labels

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Question about demos for music labelsReply
Question about demos for music labels
Posted on: 14.11.2013 by Sheila Jara
Do labels want you to send your own mastered version as a demo or just the mix down version?
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by Patch
I hate to sound so negative, but........

Labels don't want your demo's at all. They won't listen to them unless they already know who you are.

Don't fool yourself into believeing you can send out a bunch of demos and eventually get signed. Those days are practically over.
Lol no
Libbie Orion
Originally Posted by grazz16
That was you eh? yeah i got into a few "interesting" discussion in that thread :P
yes i noticed haahah
yea i came up with the idea and proposed it. Took me a while to type things up so while the DJTT boys were waiting on me to reply with the main article (to go for review)
they (Dan White) started gathering information from other producers and labels and in the end
it became that massive article you see there.
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by antifmradio
then im glad i had the idea to write this article
http://www.djranking s.com/2013/08/2...music-lottery/
That was you eh? yeah i got into a few "interesting" discussion in that thread :P
Libbie Orion
Originally Posted by amadeus
Said it all perfectly, agree with all the points.

If only all labels had the same attitude.
Libbie Orion

Labels don't want your demo's at all. They won't listen to them unless they already know who you are.

Don't fool yourself into believeing you can send out a bunch of demos and eventually get signed. Those days are practically over.
aww patch... so not true mate.
Sorry you feel that way, but i talk to people at labels regularly and yes, they are always looking for new, fresh, good talent.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by JasonBay
I currently run two labels at the moment,

https://www.facebook.com/plusplusrec

and

https://www.facebook.com/LowBatteryRecordings

I'm sure there's a little bit of truth here to what everyone is saying, as every label is run by a uniquer individual. But for me and my other mates who run labels we look for a few things when listening to demos.

1. First one is simple. Make it as EASY AS POSSIBLE for us to listen to your demo. Don't send us a zippyshare link that we have to download and then unzip, too much of a pain in the ass. Ideally just send us a Soundcloud link, preferably private, and we'll check it out.

2. Another thing we look for is the actual writing and arrangement first and foremost. Obviously there has to be some what of a decent mixdown but if the track is well written and the arrangement works then we can work on the mixdown together or send it out else where. We can teach a monkey how to engineer, but we can't teach him how to write a track. It's called dance music for a reason.

3. Another thing we look for is the whole body of work, most likely your Soundcloud page (because you did send a private Soundcloud link, right?). We want to see if his work is consistent or if he just happen to get lucky and catch lighting in a bottle on this one track. We don't want one hit wonders, we more interested in finding legit, raw talent who we can actually help develop.

4. Also, make sure you music fits what the label is doing! Should be pretty obvious, but you'd be surprised how much music we get sent that is no where close to what out vision is.

5. Also patience is the key. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You will get better at writing, you will get better at audio engineering as well. Don't believe you'll get signed in the first three months, six months or even the first year. You really need to dedicate time to perfect your craft. If a label is trying to sign you in the first three months, are you really sure you want to sign with that label? It's probably nothing more than one of those turn and burn labels who are releasing 7 EPs every month and who will never get back to you or actually help you develop as an artist. And remember, once you put a track out there on Beatport, Juno, iTunes and so on, it will ALWAYS be out there as a reflection of who you are. Knowing that, you would want to put the best work out there possible, no?

6. If you're not sure about anything, send them a short and concise email asking if they accept demos and preferred method they like to receive them.

These are all things off the top of my head at the moment. But like I said earlier, there's a little truth to what everyone has said so far, just as there is no right or wrong way to submit music to a label. Everyone runs their label differently, you just have to figure out what they are looking.

Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by tekki
My experience is, deliver a good mixdown with almost everything pretty much done properly.

The label we released on, Plus Plus Records, did the mastering. But I don't believe we gave Jason to hard a time mastering our tracks?
This is exactly what I've been saying, if you have done the best possible mix down you can do, then this will sound good, and is good enough to send to labels.

I've not mastered any of the tracks I've sent to labels, just done good mixdowns (Pre-Master). And I've had plenty of stuff signed, I've never had anyone comment on the fact it's not mastered, and why would they, this is the job of the label, not the artist.

If it's already been mastered by the artist or an engineer before going to the label, and say the label want to have it mastered again, well this is pointless practice, as you would have to send the mixdown not the master, no point mastering another master.

You can present your music in the best possible way by doing a top job of the mix down, I believe people here are getting confused by this, a good mix down/pre-master IS good enough to send to a label.
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by Tarekith
In my experience these days most artists send masters or at least rough masters to the labels when shopping tracks out. I have a lot of guys coming to me to master songs for them long before they get signed. I believe in this day you need to present them with the best possible demo you can to stand out, or stand a chance.

That said, some labels will ask for a mixdown if they sign it, so that they CAN have it mastered by their preferred engineer. This is getting less common these days though IME.
Exactly, even a rough mastering job can help get the track signed and then they can do a real mastering job on it once they can see it's got potential. But to even get to that point you need to put your best foot forward imo.
Hellen Mindrup

Lol no
Brunilda Kora
Originally Posted by antifm
Originally Posted by patch

Sorry you feel that way, but i talk to people at labels regularly and yes, they are always looking for new, fresh, good talent.
Only going on discussions I've had - the same way you are...
Libbie Orion
yes i noticed haahah
yea i came up with the idea and proposed it. Took me a while to type things up so while the DJTT boys were waiting on me to reply with the main article (to go for review)
they (Dan White) started gathering information from other producers and labels and in the end
it became that massive article you see there.
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by antifmradio
Libbie Orion

Libbie Orion

Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by JasonBay

and

I'm sure there's a little bit of truth here to what everyone is saying, as every label is run by a uniquer individual. But for me and my other mates who run labels we look for a few things when listening to demos.

1. First one is simple. Make it as EASY AS POSSIBLE for us to listen to your demo. Don't send us a zippyshare link that we have to download and then unzip, too much of a pain in the ass. Ideally just send us a Soundcloud link, preferably private, and we'll check it out.

2. Another thing we look for is the actual writing and arrangement first and foremost. Obviously there has to be some what of a decent mixdown but if the track is well written and the arrangement works then we can work on the mixdown together or send it out else where. We can teach a monkey how to engineer, but we can't teach him how to write a track. It's called dance music for a reason.

3. Another thing we look for is the whole body of work, most likely your Soundcloud page (because you did send a private Soundcloud link, right?). We want to see if his work is consistent or if he just happen to get lucky and catch lighting in a bottle on this one track. We don't want one hit wonders, we more interested in finding legit, raw talent who we can actually help develop.

4. Also, make sure you music fits what the label is doing! Should be pretty obvious, but you'd be surprised how much music we get sent that is no where close to what out vision is.

5. Also patience is the key. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You will get better at writing, you will get better at audio engineering as well. Don't believe you'll get signed in the first three months, six months or even the first year. You really need to dedicate time to perfect your craft. If a label is trying to sign you in the first three months, are you really sure you want to sign with that label? It's probably nothing more than one of those turn and burn labels who are releasing 7 EPs every month and who will never get back to you or actually help you develop as an artist. And remember, once you put a track out there on Beatport, Juno, iTunes and so on, it will ALWAYS be out there as a reflection of who you are. Knowing that, you would want to put the best work out there possible, no?

6. If you're not sure about anything, send them a short and concise email asking if they accept demos and preferred method they like to receive them.

These are all things off the top of my head at the moment. But like I said earlier, there's a little truth to what everyone has said so far, just as there is no right or wrong way to submit music to a label. Everyone runs their label differently, you just have to figure out what they are looking.

Random X
Hell yeah!

Totally agreeing on this one. I really agree with point 5 by the way. It took us 10 years of honing our skills with RSTRCTD, and thanks to our business with the label, Plus Plus, we finally found our genre/direction we felt most comfortable with!
Georgina Schatzman

and

Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by tekki
My experience is, deliver a good mixdown with almost everything pretty much done properly.

The label we released on, Plus Plus Records, did the mastering. But I don't believe we gave Jason to hard a time mastering our tracks?
This is exactly what I've been saying, if you have done the best possible mix down you can do, then this will sound good, and is good enough to send to labels.

I've not mastered any of the tracks I've sent to labels, just done good mixdowns (Pre-Master). And I've had plenty of stuff signed, I've never had anyone comment on the fact it's not mastered, and why would they, this is the job of the label, not the artist.

If it's already been mastered by the artist or an engineer before going to the label, and say the label want to have it mastered again, well this is pointless practice, as you would have to send the mixdown not the master, no point mastering another master.

You can present your music in the best possible way by doing a top job of the mix down, I believe people here are getting confused by this, a good mix down/pre-master IS good enough to send to a label.
Random X

Monserrate Rupnow
And not to be the negative type, but from the labels perspective if the track is already mastered and sounds good, that's one less expense for them. Assuming it's not a recoupable on the artists side as part of the contract of course.
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by Tarekith
In my experience these days most artists send masters or at least rough masters to the labels when shopping tracks out. I have a lot of guys coming to me to master songs for them long before they get signed. I believe in this day you need to present them with the best possible demo you can to stand out, or stand a chance.

That said, some labels will ask for a mixdown if they sign it, so that they CAN have it mastered by their preferred engineer. This is getting less common these days though IME.
Exactly, even a rough mastering job can help get the track signed and then they can do a real mastering job on it once they can see it's got potential. But to even get to that point you need to put your best foot forward imo.
Monserrate Rupnow

Lawana Mileto
I see, vinyl might be different then i have no idea. For straight up digital releases you can master those yourself, or if you are not confident doing that, get a mastering engineer to do that for you. Personally i can give my tracks a pretty good mastering job, but given the option i would definitely get them done by a professional mastering engineer who knows what they are doing. I've also sent my tracks off to be mastered, for just this reason, and got them back butchered more than a few times as well unfortunately.
I just can't see a label not wanting to get it mastered by who they prefer, to me this doesn't make sense. To me a pretty good job of mastering isn't good enough, I want it to sound its best. Mastering engineers have the facilities to get the best out of your mix, I know I couldn't do a mastering job as good as any of the mastering engineers I've dealt with.

If a label doesn't want to put the money behind your tracks to get them mastered by an ME, then I wouldnt bother with them. If this is the case of a lot of labels asking producers to master tracks, then I just don't get it. No wonder quality control on beatport is shocking.
Berta Baie
I believe you've got it wrong here, you do a pre master, but this is not a master. At the end of the day if your sending stuff to a label that expect you to master it then it isn't a professional label, or at least one that doesn't want consistency.

It may be different in the digital world, I've had a couple of digi releases both of which were mastered before release not by me but by an ME, I was just expected to do a good mix down basically a pre master. The bulk of my releases have been on vinyl, again a pre master (Mix Down) was required.

I don't have the expertise nor the gear , same as a lot of producers to be able to do a good job of a master. The job of a producer is not to master, that is why there are mastering engineers who specialise in it. Granted there are some producers who can master too, but you don't see too many on releases.

Again the majority of my dealings as a producer, and as a label owner is vinyl releases, neither of which have I asked to, or asked someone to do a master themselves.
I see, vinyl might be different then i have no idea. For straight up digital releases you can master those yourself, or if you are not confident doing that, get a mastering engineer to do that for you. Personally i can give my tracks a pretty good mastering job, but given the option i would definitely get them done by a professional mastering engineer who knows what they are doing. I've also sent my tracks off to be mastered, for just this reason, and got them back butchered more than a few times as well unfortunately.

Completely disagree with this as well. This is best time ever to send demos to labels. In the past you had to physically get a CD or whatever to the A & R guys and hope to god they took the time to take it out of the case, put it in the player, and press play. Now all you have to do is send a Soundcloud link or MP3 that they can easily listen to with no hassle, and more importantly YOU CAN TRACK!

Thats so awesome, Soundcloud will let you know who has played your track and how many times even. Thats amazingly convenient because now you know exactly who does and who doesn't listen to demos. And i can tell you, whereas some labels don't actually listen to demos, many labels do and will even respond with feedback. But as my original post stressed, make sure the quality is there before you even bother.
Lawana Mileto
This is just bad advice imo.

I would never dream of sending an unmastered demo to a record label for a number of very simple reasons:

1. Whereas in the end some labels do have their own mastering engineer, some don't have 1 preferred guy and simply expect you to cover the mastering yourself or at least get it done professionally.

2. Most importantly, you still need to show them what the track looks like at its best. If everyone else is mastering their demos and you aren't, then your track is going to seem flat and weak compared to theirs which is going to affect their opinion of the track. Or vice versa, lets say no one is mastering their demos and you are, well then yours is going to stand out in the bunch.

But i can tell you for certain that every producer worth their salt is mastering a demo before sending it to a label, even if its a just a simple job they have done on their own.
I believe you've got it wrong here, you do a pre master, but this is not a master. At the end of the day if your sending stuff to a label that expect you to master it then it isn't a professional label, or at least one that doesn't want consistency.

It may be different in the digital world, I've had a couple of digi releases both of which were mastered before release not by me but by an ME, I was just expected to do a good mix down basically a pre master. The bulk of my releases have been on vinyl, again a pre master (Mix Down) was required.

I don't have the expertise nor the gear , same as a lot of producers to be able to do a good job of a master. The job of a producer is not to master, that is why there are mastering engineers who specialise in it. Granted there are some producers who can master too, but you don't see too many on releases.

Again the majority of my dealings as a producer, and as a label owner is vinyl releases, neither of which have I asked to, or asked someone to do a master themselves.
Brunilda Kora

Berta Baie
No.

Labels just want a good of a mix down as possible, generally with a good amount of headroom, but no they don't want it mastered. The label probably have a preference of which mastering engineer they want to use, and so you attempting to master it yourself is pointless.
This is just bad advice imo.

I would never dream of sending an unmastered demo to a record label for a number of very simple reasons:

1. Whereas in the end some labels do have their own mastering engineer, some don't have 1 preferred guy and simply expect you to cover the mastering yourself or at least get it done professionally.

2. Most importantly, you still need to show them what the track looks like at its best. If everyone else is mastering their demos and you aren't, then your track is going to seem flat and weak compared to theirs which is going to affect their opinion of the track. Or vice versa, lets say no one is mastering their demos and you are, well then yours is going to stand out in the bunch.

But i can tell you for certain that every producer worth their salt is mastering a demo before sending it to a label, even if its a just a simple job they have done on their own.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by MRB Kevin
Do labels want you to send your own mastered version as a demo or just the mix down version?
No.

Labels just want a good of a mix down as possible, generally with a good amount of headroom, but no they don't want it mastered. The label probably have a preference of which mastering engineer they want to use, and so you attempting to master it yourself is pointless.

Just really work on getting a good mix down.

Our label only press vinyl for which it would get mastered for. Even if it was digital we'd send it to get mastered.

If you sent say a mastered version to a label, and they released it without going to a mastering engineer, then I would avoid that label. They obviously don't care, or don't want to spend the money to get it mastered themselves, and considering it really isn't that much to have it done, it's just careless.
Sheila Jara
thanks for the info :-)
whats the process for getting a track signed?
Sheila Jara
Thanks for the info
Another question..whats the process for getting a track signed?
Berta Baie
They want a mastered version, and they want it as close to perfect as you can get it. Be honest with yourself and really listen to see if you have achieved the level of quality your favourite producers have, or at least close to it. Spend lots of time on your mix downs. This is one of the hardest things to do as a producer imo. If not, I'd recommend not sending things out to labels until you do.

And thats NOT because you won't get signed, if the idea is good enough you probably will get signed, however the more you learn the more you will be constantly looking back and going "damn, i wish those tracks sounded better." Remember, it takes 3-8 months+ from the time you send the track to the time it gets released. That is a LONG time where you have lots of time to improve. It kind of sucks to look back on something you did 8 months ago and be embarrassed by it only to have that as the latest sample of your work. Better to try and get the quality up right from the start and then start sending to labels.

Easier said than done when you believe you got a killer track on your hands, I know :P

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy