I need help making a studio

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: I need help making a studioReply
I need help making a studio
Posted on: 22.11.2013 by Claribel Lolo
Hello I'm new at producing music and I like making beats for songs. Also I need a place to record. All I need help with is buying things for the studio like what should I get for it?

Things i already have for it:
1. Alva Nanoface
2. Desktop computer (alien ware)
3. Software (abelton live 9)
4. My friends speakers

What else should I get for it? Like for recording. Storage of the music and files.

Please help me thank you.
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by R01
+1 to amadeus and the trollific response.

In all seriousness, we need more info here. You haven't mentioned what kind of music you're making, so I can't suggest much to you. If you could be more specific about what you're trying to do and exactly what we're looking at: room size, DAW, speaker types, etc. We'd be able to give a lot more relevant suggestions.
In retrospect the life size horse statue would put an edge on the room.
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by amadeus
I just hate it when people start a thread because there too lazy to do any research first.
this plus not responding to the answers given to them. but then again, I was a noob too so I help out from time to time.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by R01

In all seriousness, we need more info here. You haven't mentioned what kind of music you're making, so I can't suggest much to you. If you could be more specific about what you're trying to do and exactly what we're looking at: room size, DAW, speaker types, etc. We'd be able to give a lot more relevant suggestions.
Sorry I just had to, was too tempting.

Anyone could suggest anything for a studio, you basically have the essentials so far.

So you need to decide what you could benefite from, if you want to get away from using a mouse, then a midi controller, midi keyboard etc

You'll need decent monitors, or good studio headphones.

What kind of music you want to make will decide what type of VST's will benefit you.

There are literally a thousand odd options.

But I still stand by my first response, as I really do believe these could benefit your studio.

I just hate it when people start a thread because there too lazy to do any research first.
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by Daily Crisis
I believe OP is just trying to gather gear, not renovate his home lol.
Claribel Lolo
Hello I'm new at producing music and I like making beats for songs. Also I need a place to record. All I need help with is buying things for the studio like what should I get for it?

Things i already have for it:
1. Alva Nanoface
2. Desktop computer (alien ware)
3. Software (abelton live 9)
4. My friends speakers

What else should I get for it? Like for recording. Storage of the music and files.

Please help me thank you.
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by R01

In retrospect the life size horse statue would put an edge on the room.
Nikole Resende
You didn't specify what kind of speakers "your friend's speakers" are, but since they are the only item of which you don't name the brand or model, I guess they just some kind of no-name, maybe even hifi speakers...

Anyways, if I were you I would invest in the following things (in the following order)

1. Decent monitor speakers and proper room treatment (the most expensive monitors won't help you have room modes so bad they make mixing your tracks down nearyl impossible)
2. A midi keyboard and/or any other kind of controller. Not having to draw everything in with your mouse makes making music so much more fun.
3. Additional gear (synth, effectx, software/hardware), as you by now should have been producing for a while and have a better idea about what else you could need.

A pair of headphones could be useful as well, but you should always mix on monitors sinve even the best headphones have their limitations compared to speakers. If you live in an apartment and need headphones for working at evening without disturbing your neighbours, headphones like the Superlux HD 668 offer really great value for very little money.

For storage of the music and files I suggest you get an external hd to make back-ups like you should be doing anyways if you don'T want to lose all your data.
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by amadeus
this plus not responding to the answers given to them. but then again, I was a noob too so I help out from time to time.
Patience Kokos
Also take into consideration the size and shape of your room. If it's roomy, consider larger monitor speakers. If it's smaller, consider getting 5 or 6" monitors.

If it's square, consider moving....
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by R01

Sorry I just had to, was too tempting.

Anyone could suggest anything for a studio, you basically have the essentials so far.

So you need to decide what you could benefite from, if you want to get away from using a mouse, then a midi controller, midi keyboard etc

You'll need decent monitors, or good studio headphones.

What kind of music you want to make will decide what type of VST's will benefit you.

There are literally a thousand odd options.

But I still stand by my first response, as I really do believe these could benefit your studio.

Trey Brune

Lawana Mileto
I could suggest all manner of things, as you havent really stated much in the way of what you believe you might need, so here are my suggestions;

What about a life size horse statue, this would add to the ambience of the room.
To go with the horse statue, I would get some mood lighting, for highlighting the best features of the horse.
And a trampoline for when you get writer's block, or just fancy having a bounce.

Other studio must have's include, a moose head, a three seater sofa, fishing rod, mobility scooter, paddling pool.
Patience Kokos
Are you on PC or MAC?

PC VSTs:

Synth1 is a nice free vst you can use... it's like a Nord Lead.
Epic Verb is a nice reverb for free.

If you're in a bedroom/apartment definitely get quality production headphones.
What speakers are you running currently? If your friend doesn't have studio monitors, consider buying some
Tobias Merrills
Your going to want some quality headphones or speakers to hear your mix. If you can't always have music playing like me and live in an apartment get quality headphones.

Also get a quality VST and learn about synthesis.
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by Daily Crisis
I believe OP is just trying to gather gear, not renovate his home lol.
Alycia Niederriter
This may be useful.
Pansy Dascoli
I agree with arsman. It isn't the paintbrush but how you use it. My only bits of advice are if you aren't using a quality monitoring system listen to your music through multiple sound systems. Headphones, earbuds, car audio. It is always a good idea to compare your track through various systems. I've corrected some major mistakes in my tracks because I played it in a car over bluetooth to realize the nice high synth I created turned into an ear piercing evening mare. My other advice is if someone's advice conflicts with your end goal don't listen to them. It's your music make it what you want. Too many people try to please their friends or strangers on the internet from the start. You aren't signed to a record label why produce like you are?
Petra Arra
you already have the things that you need (BASICS)

its not the gear that makes good beats (sometimes.. for the quality), but your creativity.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy